DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Pete Bauer November 21st, 2004 02:05 PM

Hi Ryan,

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help. Since you're starting from a clean slate, any of a bunch of settings could be non-optimized.

Try rendering out using a couple of the more compressed codecs to AVI or in WMV; if low data rate plays fine in WMP, it probably is a playback issue. If WMP is still choppy (especially if it is in exactly the same way) even with small, low data rate files, it probably is an encoding issue.

What are your system specs...processor ...how much RAM? Easy things to check:
- make sure DMA is enabled
- quality vs performance settings in WMP 10
- Anti-virus software (especially since SP2, I've thought something was hung up a couple of times, only to have Norton say it was done virus checking a file -- then everything worked great. Don't know why that would be more of an issue since SP2, but that's what I've noticed.)
- temp folders for PPro on a separate drive

I'm not sure if you can uninstall WMP 10, but I don't think so. Off the cuff, I'm not aware of any reason to uninstall the additional codecs; WMP probably came with most of them, but maybe not all...in any case, just having a codec on your system shouldn't bother anything.

Uh, ok, for now I'm out of ideas! Post some more details and let's see what happens.

Ryan Krga November 21st, 2004 04:14 PM

Pete, thanks for the response.

The lower data rate files (WMV, MPEG-1, MOV) play fine when exported, it's just the full, umcompressed files that are playing choppy. I just uninstalled WMP 10 and restored version 9 and it seemed to fix the playback problem within Premiere, but not on WMP.

I'm on a older Sony Vaio with a 1.8 GHZ P4, 768 MB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB video card. The video that I'm editing with is on a separate drive than the drive that Premiere and the rendered files are on, but that's how I had it running before the format. Both of my hard drives are running on the NTFS file system. (If that will help any) I'm not sure what you mean by DMA, coudl you explain that? I'll try running with Norton AV and MacAfee firewall disabled and see how that goes.

Ryan Krga

Stephen Jackson November 21st, 2004 04:51 PM

The QT file shows 0 bytes so there's nothing to play. I have no problems exporting to .avi and using Sorenson Squeeze to make the QT file. But I would like to keep going the extra step if I don't have to.

When I finish this project I will take a look on Adobe's website and see what they say

Ryan Krga November 21st, 2004 05:17 PM

Disabled both Norton AV and McAfee firewall, nothing improved in Premiere or WMP. Restarted the computer after installing a copy of AIM, and the problem is still occuring in Premiere and WMP. I guess restoring version 9 didn't help at all.

Pete Bauer November 21st, 2004 07:07 PM

AIM? Is that AOL Instant Messenger or something else?

Anyway, DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. Here's a quick link about Ultra DMA Modes (which I should read myself, since I don't know much of the technical info):

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA-c.html

But the long and the short of it is if your hard drives are exchanging data with the rest of the computer using "PIO" or any Ultra DMA Mode less than 4, you'll have performance problems with disk read/write.

Assuming your computer is set up in a fairly standard way, to check, go to:

Device Manager >> Primary IDE Channel >> right click for properties >> Advanced Settings tab

and see what the Current Transfer Mode shows. If it is PIO or less than Ultra DMA Mode 4, change it if possible to match the capabilities of your hard drive. You might actually have to go into the BIOS to enable DMA. Your CD or DVD drives are probably on the Secondary IDE Channel and will probably use UDMA2.

If it isn't that, I'll have to scratch my skull a little more as I don't have any other ideas to try right now.

Jake Sawyer November 21st, 2004 09:56 PM

I'll try your guys advice. Thanks for being so gracious!

Rob Lohman November 22nd, 2004 04:37 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Shaw : deinterlacing is throwing away half your vertical resolution. -->>>

This is a much made statement that is false. This totally depends
on the algorithms being used and the quality of those. This might
have been true a long time ago, but the quality of de-interlacing
has increased by leaps and bounds. It is unknown how much
(vertical) resolution you loose these days.

In the end go with what works best for you. If de-interlacing gives
a far better look (which it usually does with slow-motion from an
interlaced source) and it still looks good enough for you (and
better than remove flicker option) then just go with that.

Rob Lohman November 22nd, 2004 06:05 AM

Are you trying to match the footage or just turn it in black & white?
There are various ways in an NLE like Premiere to turn color into
black & white.

Rob Lohman November 22nd, 2004 08:23 AM

Hold on a sec. Ryan: you say "uncompressed". Is it really an
uncompressed file or is it a DV file (that is NOT uncompressed!)

Uncompressed standard (NTSC) 720x480 @ 30 fps does 30 MB/s
which most drives cannot deliver, so if that is the case I have
no doubt it would not play back okay.

If it is DV then it should play back fine, ofcourse (3.6 MB/s).

Dan Euritt November 22nd, 2004 12:25 PM

ryan, you brought a lot of things into the mix here, and some of 'em aren't relevant... when you say "choppy" playback, do you mean on the pc monitor, or on the ntsc video monitor? the latter is the only thing that really matters.

wmp will not affect video playback in premiere... i would venture to say that it's not possible, since they aren't related in any way... and the number of codecs you have on your computer isn't a factor.

i would uninstall aim, mcafee, and norton, those are a couple of classic problem areas... junk apps that belong in the garbage.

Barry Lajnwand November 22nd, 2004 03:19 PM

I want to match the black & white footage to the color footage, not turn everything black & white?

Ryan Krga November 22nd, 2004 03:22 PM

By uncompressed I mean exported with the Microsoft DV AVI setting. I'm viewing this on a computer monitor, but I imagine it wouldn't play on an NTSC, either. I can't export to tape as a result of the playback. The video completely skips frames while previewing and the audio becomes unaligned with the video when it occurs. I've run Premiere Pro 1.5 before with NAV, McAfee, and AIM all running at the same time without any problems, so I'm almost positive the problem doesn't have do do with them.

Could it be that my processor is too slow? I'm rendering the video before playing it back so I don't see why this is happening.

Jonathan Nicholas November 22nd, 2004 05:50 PM

It's not possible.

Jon

Eric Chan November 22nd, 2004 07:05 PM

Noise generated from wireless mic

I just did an event and had to use a wireless mic to record conversation. However, there are a lot of interference recorded. What is the most effective way of filtering out this interference, i.e. what audio effect (s) can I use in Permiere Pro?

Thanks

Rob Lohman November 23rd, 2004 06:25 AM

Okay Ryan: so that is NOT uncompressed! Your file is DV
compressed (5:1 compression ratio). Just so you know!

What are your project settings in Premiere?