DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Vance Osborne November 30th, 2004 01:54 AM

uhm...well, that was helpful :)

Anyhow, it is very choppy when it is previewing in real-time in Pro 1.5, but when I run 6.5 (same computer), it runs extremely smooth.
I find it bizzare and was looking for an explanation and hopefully a tweak/solution from someone...

Jonathan Nicholas November 30th, 2004 03:13 AM

I agree this is quite a slow app even with my pentium 4 3GHz - apparantly it is a system resource and power hungry application and there's not much you can do about it!

Jon

Steven Gotz November 30th, 2004 08:24 AM

Ah, that's a better explanation. I was hoping you would come back with a response.

There are quite a few things it could be. Premiere Pro uses an overlay on the screen, unlike Media Player. So it could be your video card, or just the video card settings. Do you have acceleration turned on?

Do you frequently defragment your video hard drive? Are you using a different drive for your video than your applications? Not just a partitioned drive, a separate piece of hardware? And do you have them both set to Master on different busses?

Also, do you reboot the PC often? The more RAM available to Premiere Pro, the smoother the previews. And the more often they are previewed, the better the RAM cache works. Sounds odd, I know. But hit enter and ignore the playback. Hit enter again and see if it looks better.

Also, when the screen is redrawing, the playback is poor. Set your tracks to NOT show the Picons and it will redraw faster. So you can preview sooner.

David Yuen November 30th, 2004 10:26 AM

System is probably underpowered

Adobe says your specs are above minimum, but when you look at their recommended specs, it is a bit under.

Right-click the monitor and select the display quality to be draft or automatic. That might help with the playback.

You should also follow the suggestions in this thread.

Vance Osborne November 30th, 2004 12:51 PM

Thank you for the response...I will give all that a go and see if I can smoothen it out a bit :)
I have 6.5, pro and pro 1.5 all on the same machine, and I can't understand why 6.5 simply doesn't need any mucking around. It is very nimble with real-time, but I have to play around with pro to get the same results.. grrr...

Jake Sawyer November 30th, 2004 10:09 PM

Thanks for the tutorials guys. They've really helped and I've eliminated almost all of my problems. It worked great on the bus hum also.

John Michael Harper November 30th, 2004 11:55 PM

premiere pro audio query: no sound

Experimenting with newly captured footage - there was sound during capture.

Now when I drop a clip into the preview monitor there's only sound when I scrub back and forth over the clip. Also no sound when dropping the clip into the timeline. Again, scrubbing works.

I messed with the audio and audio hardware settings, but am simply using my default Windows soundcard.

What am I missing? Thanks....

Rob Lohman December 1st, 2004 06:08 AM

Keep in mind that Premiere Pro 1.0/1.5 is far more resource hungry
and takes a much more powerful machine to work fast!

Steven: why do you say that WMP does not use overlay to
display video? Mine does here, as does every other media
player I have here (easily proved with a screen capture program)

Rob Lohman December 1st, 2004 07:22 AM

John: I've moved your thread to our dedicated Premiere forum.
However, there already is a thread running on this very same
topic, if you can please continue the discussion there:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35595

Steven Gotz December 1st, 2004 07:30 AM

Rob,

Perhaps I am wrong. My media player did not have overlay turned on by default. Yet it is possible to turn it on.

Or, I may have yurned it off to capture the screen once upon a time and the new Media Player 10 used the older settings when I upgraded recently?

Rob Lohman December 1st, 2004 07:43 AM

An upgrade should indeed retain your settings <g>

John Michael Harper December 1st, 2004 08:18 AM

not the same topic

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I felt like a knucklehead for a minute or two.

Anyway, this unfortunately is not the same topic as the other thread, as the other current audio thread has to do with rendering.

I have both audio and video in the timeline, the audio will playback only when I scrub over the clip. What gives?

Billy Dalrymple December 2nd, 2004 12:32 PM

Couple things to try...

1) Double check to make sure that you have enabled the sound output on the specific audio tract.

2) You may also want to expand the track and zoom in to see if you see the audio waveform.

3) Increase the track volume itself to see if it was muffled.

4) Ensure the preview screen has sound enabled.

Billy Dalrymple December 2nd, 2004 12:35 PM

Do you know of a way to allow multiple colors to be passed using the color pass filter?

Stephen Jackson December 3rd, 2004 07:56 AM

What I did was to import the clip in AE and motion tracked the shirt export the file back into PPro and added the chroma key to the AE layer and the added the color lawyer to the original clip. I set the saturation of the original clip to 0 B&W look only

So now the only color in the clip is the shirt.