Binaural bass crackling: How to fix/avoid? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Binaural bass crackling: How to fix/avoid?

Long time no talk Greg! I can't believe I missed your last two messages!!!! I appoligize for not replying... The forum messages must have gotten lost when they hit my e-mail inbox. :(

I hope things are going well with you.

Things have been pretty busy in my neck of the woods (day job is keeping me busy).

Thanks so much for those screen grabs and all of the information about the spectral view and Cool Edit Pro.

I hate to admit it, but since we last talked I have not had a chance to download a demo and/or buy a copy of CoolEdit. I really want to get a copy so I can follow along with all of you examples without getting lost in Audacity trying to find the same views and tools. :)

Just as an update: I went back to the planetarium and captured the audio for a second time.

No clicks/pops/crackling!!!!

I took your advice, and use the "line in" input along with the battery pack.

Record settings:

96khz
24bit
Limiter/agc = off
Plug-in power = off
Mic gain = low
Low cut = off

I took pictures of my settings right before recording just to make sure I could remember things later! :D

I think my first recording was clicking due to the fact that I had my battery pack/mic plugged into the mic input (vs. the "line in" input).

Anyway, I got a clean recording of the show... Of course, I don't plan on doing anything with this recording... I re-recorded the show purely for learning (my equipment) purposes. :)

Greg, I owe you many thanks for all of your help!!!! Thanks a billion!!!!! As soon as I get setup with Cool Edit I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone that replied! This forum is the best on the net! :)

Cheers,
Micky
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM   #62
Major Player

Oh, also... I learned how to place attachments inline by looking at Robert's post on page #1.

After uploading, I hovered over the image link at bottom of the post to get the "attachmentid" number.

I used this code to attach the image(s):

[attach]22576[/attach]

Name:  loader-02.gif
Views: 345
Size:  4.1 KB

Seems like it should be easier than that. :(

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

Have a great Friday!

Cheers,
Micky
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:14 AM   #63
Trustee

Hi Micky,

Glad to hear you found a solution. I would still like to know what caused the original "clicking." Given that you had the machine set up incorrectly, what in the machine caused that particular kind of problem, since is it not clipping? (After a lengthy Google search, I found one other user who had exactly the same kind of "clicking" problem on the same recorder. I looked at his files, and the problem was exactly the same as on your files! So it is not an isolated problem in your particular unit.)

I'm afraid you will have to watch eBay a long time, in hopes of finding an old "discarded" copy of CoolEdit. That company (Syntrillium) and product were bought up by Adobe several years ago. If you do find it somewhere (which is not impossible) you will need to be sure that the seller includes a working registration password to unlock the program.

Anyway, thanks for the report!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM   #64
Inner Circle

FYI - CoolEdit is sold by Adobe under the name Audition. The current version isn't all THAT expensive, $349 for the full package or $99 if upgrading from a previous version of Audition or from Soundbooth.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #65
Trustee

Steve, thanks for that reminder. I think I mentioned that long ago, but perhaps Micky had lost track of that tidbit. Since Audition is a current product, it will be much easier to find, if that is within his budget.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #66
Major Player

Oooh, nice!

Thanks for tip/reminder Steve!

I totally spaced being told about Audition! $349 is not a bad price at all. :)

Wow, I didn't realize it was a part of the Adobe CS5.x suite... My work just got me a copy of CS5 master collection... I have not installed yet, but it looks like I lucked out.

Thanks again Greg! I can't thank you enough for all that you have taught me. I owe you one. :)

Thanks to everyone for all of the help.

Have an awesome week.

Cheers,
Micky
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #67
Inner Circle

It's not part of CS5. It will be a part of CS5.5.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
It's not part of CS5. It will be a part of CS5.5.
Doh! I was looking at the CS5.5 page... I just assumed it was in 5.0. :(

I guess having Audition in the 5.5. upgrade gives folks another reason to upgrade their 5.5 install.

Thanks for clarification Adam. Much appreciated. :)

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Micky
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Thanks again for your offer but I really don't need anything from Amazon. However, at this point in time you owe me 472 beers, so it might be worth my while to fly out to Seattle one of these days... <JK>
Let's just round that up to 500!

Let me know when you are in my neck of the woods. :D

Cheers,
Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio