Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this? - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 4th, 2021, 02:00 PM   #286
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this?

No the composer is very interested still, I just don't know if he would be available later on, and I was still trying to save money.

I can play piano but it's mostly memorization of melodies that are already written down, rather than actually creating the music. But yeah, perhaps I am trying to do too much myself.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:49 PM   #287
Inner Circle

Re: Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this?

No perhaps about it Ryan. Leave the music to musicians.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:37 AM   #288
also known as Ryan Wray

Sure, I can leave it to the composer. Thank you very much everyone for all the advice!

I was wondering, since music sampling has become so good now, does it look bad for a microbudget movie if the score is really good sounding, since it doesn't cost that much because of the technology? Like if the score sounds so much more higher budget than the rest of the movie, is that bad? Or is it good to go for the best score you can get?
Old January 8th, 2021, 02:27 AM   #289
Inner Circle

Of course not, just as having really good acting or photography doesn't. It just means that talented people are working on the film and who are working for free in order to get experience. It all depends on the people the filmmaker knows and those who are available in their location and can be persuaded to work on the film.

You always go for the best you can achieve, but that will also depend on the people you're working with and any baggage you and they are bringing to the production.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2021, 02:29 AM   #290
Inner Circle

You sort of answered it. Stop calling it sampling. It’s just music production, like using ‘film’ when we don’t use it anymore. Success is down to the skil of the person doing it and technology is no barrier, only to your wallet. If you are able to have high quality music, it’s never a negative because people don’t notice it. Everyone knows the Harry Potter music, but ONLY the theme. If you play the track called Hedwig’s Journey, do you remember that one, or even notice it in the movie?

In EVERY aspect of your movie, you should go for the best. Individually or collectively, less than your best is a fail. One good area does not recover the feel from the bad ones. The worst is what audiences remember.
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:02 AM   #291
also known as Ryan Wray

Alright thanks. When I watch other microbudget movies, they don't go that big on the music, so I thought if I did, it might come off as overdone, if other ones do not. But if making it the biggest and best it can be is good, I can ask the composer to do that.
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:17 AM   #292
Inner Circle

I really don't understand Ryan - when I get a commission to compose ANYTHING, I do my best to make it the biggest and best. I cannot imagine any musician needing to be asked to do that by the director or producer? Music doesn't;t have to be big of course - some movies might have huge orchestras, while others have a score done by one guy and a computer - the outcome has nothing to do with big or best, but simply most appropriate. If there was a sad scene - you could play a piece of sad piano music - just piano, and it could be an amazing fit. Frankly, now, you can be as big as you like I you have the right sounds in your arsenal.

I'd leave music alone Ryan - it's not something you understand or seem to be strong with.
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:21 AM   #293
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay that makes sense. But the composer is leaving some things to my call to make, and I am not sure what call to make. I can save this for later after it's shot of course, but still wondering what call to make on certain things for later though of course.
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:25 AM   #294
Slash Rules!

“Mr. Composer, my movie is going to be an underwhelming mess, and since I strive for tonal consistency, please make the music the same. Thanks homie.”
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:36 AM   #295
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
. But the composer is leaving some things to my call to make, and I am not sure what call to make. I can save this for later after it's shot of course, but still wondering what call to make on certain things for later though of course.
Leave decisions as late as possible, because you'll change your mind in the meantime, so calls are a pointless exercise if not needed.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2021, 11:58 AM   #296
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Okay that makes sense. But the composer is leaving some things to my call to make, and I am not sure what call to make. I can save this for later after it's shot of course, but still wondering what call to make on certain things for later though of course.
Big picture Ryan you don't have the budget for a composer. If you're able film this movie then you can come up with the most economical way to add music.

The composer no doubt has picked up on that you're an unqualified, indecisive micromanager, and has concluded it be waste of his time making musical decision that you'll likely override and change. You strike me as someone who pumps a professional for information then instead of hiring them, you try to do it yourself. You embody many "bad" client characteristics.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:46 PM   #297
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I thought I had the budget for a composer or at least I could do the budget again. I asked the composer if I was micromanaging him, and he said no, I am fine, and he never felt that way.
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:52 PM   #298
Slash Rules!

It could be that Ryan only has these exhaustive discussions on HERE and talks to his composer etc. once a month.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2021, 02:01 PM   #299
Inner Circle

In my whole life I have NEVER told a client that they're a pain to work with. None of your people every tell you the truth, that' very clear. I'm sure you're a lovely person, but you sound like a real client from hell. Last week I told a client that sadly, I will be too busy on a long term project to squeeze him in, and I was so sorry I could not assist him. He bombarded me with requests, clearly had no contingency budget and had believed the planning people who he'd obviously confused, so that they said he did not need planning permission when it was clear to me he did. All my alarm bells were ringing, so I made up an excuse, and breathed a sigh of relief.
Old January 10th, 2021, 06:30 PM   #300
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Well I can only go by what he tells me I guess. He said that I was quicker to work with than most people, because the requests were much more specific compared to other clients, so the process was faster so far he said. But we can wait till the movie is over before we finish of course.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio