Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this? - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 17th, 2020, 04:40 PM   #136
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this?

Oh okay, thanks.

Well the banjo is actually my least favorite instrument ever probably and cannot see myself using it. The organ maybe, but not sure if it is the best for this particular project. But maybe.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #137
Inner Circle

Re: Is it possible to make instruments sound natural through audio editing like this?

You bring too many limitations.

Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:01 PM   #138
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh really? Was the list of instruments I posted before, not enough and we should have more?
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:09 PM   #139
Inner Circle

I was going to post Deliverance but I didn't think he'd get it.

No Ryan the point is any instrument will work if it fits. You seem to assign an intrinsic value to a particular instrument depending if it was used in a scene of a movie you want to copy.

The banjo was a joke but even that instrument was used in a classic like Deliverance and probably was used in many other movies that don't come to mind. You're so limited in your ideas.

You hire a composer and then you micro manage and try to take over like you know better than someone who specializes in that field despite that you have no background in it. Just like the gun shot we told you not do it yourself but you thought for some reason you could do better.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:26 PM   #140
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but shoudn't the producer and director have some say over the music that is being done, and the sounds that are being used in it?
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:38 PM   #141
Inner Circle

Ryan, I really dont know how to explain this more simply. Forget the bass flute, just find a flute sound from the sounds any good music technologist has, and play a low note. That fluttery, windy sound you want is a construct, it’s treated to sound like that, in real life a flautist playing that would need assistance from effects. Seriously, if you want that sound it’s in countless collections, synths, samplers and even in my guitar synth! It’s a cliche sound, and so, so easy to find - I cannot understand why it’s causing you any problems finding it., but you are STILL thinking about a single sample, and we do not do single samples any more. We have moved on to sets of sounds. For goodness sake watch some of the spitfire videos I suggested, then you will understand how it works. At the moment, you are not thinking like a musician, but are thinking about sound effects. They are not the same thing remotely. If you want that Clint Eastwood flute sound, easy to do.

If this is causing you, and more importantly, your composer, problems, something is wrong, because he should be laughing this off because if the simplest of things is beyond him, you have far worse problems to come.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #142
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Ryan, I really dont know how to explain this more simply. Forget the bass flute, just find a flute sound from the sounds any good music technologist has, and play a low note. That fluttery, windy sound you want is a construct, it’s treated to sound like that, in real life a flautist playing that would need assistance from effects. Seriously, if you want that sound it’s in countless collections, synths, samplers and even in my guitar synth! It’s a cliche sound, and so, so easy to find - I cannot understand why it’s causing you any problems finding it., but you are STILL thinking about a single sample, and we do not do single samples any more. We have moved on to sets of sounds. For goodness sake watch some of the spitfire videos I suggested, then you will understand how it works. At the moment, you are not thinking like a musician, but are thinking about sound effects. They are not the same thing remotely. If you want that Clint Eastwood flute sound, easy to do.

If this is causing you, and more importantly, your composer, problems, something is wrong, because he should be laughing this off because if the simplest of things is beyond him, you have far worse problems to come.
I haven't been following this thread closely but I wouldn't be surprised he doesn't want to spend the money on sound library or whatever is needed. Couple that with how all his ideas come from copying other movies. Same thing happened when he was trying to copy a scene which we determined used a dolly but then he didn't have the money or skill and wanted to do it with a hand held gimbal. Everything he does is for the wrong reason and involves re creating elements he saw in another movie. Last time it was a gun shot sound effect, this time it's a flute.
Old December 17th, 2020, 05:55 PM   #143
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Oh okay, but shoudn't the producer and director have some say over the music that is being done, and the sounds that are being used in it?
Yes, but they need to to know what they're doing and also be aware they they could be wrong. John Barry had arguments with Harry Saltzman regarding a couple of the best known Bond songs.
Old December 17th, 2020, 06:04 PM   #144
Inner Circle

I think he's also working on the music for a movie he hasn't filmed yet. He should describe the movie and mood of the particular scene to the composer and then let him do his thing.

Ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous!
Old December 17th, 2020, 06:38 PM   #145
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yeah it doesn't have to be a bass flute specifically, but I wanted a flute that is not very high sounding, so that is why I thought a bass flute might best. But if there is a better flute out there for the sounds than sure.

Also I am totally willing spend the money on a sound library or music library. That is why I made a list of intstruments I thought would be good, so I could budget what to spend on, if the composer does not have them in his repertoire.
Old December 17th, 2020, 08:03 PM   #146
Trustee

What about The Rockford Files series, where the lead instrument alternates between synth and harmonica? You get the best of both worlds. Although I think a bit of didgeridoo would add something priceless.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2020, 09:06 PM   #147
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Well I don't know if I am digging the Didgeridoo so far. It's okay. But I think I might not to use the harmonica though. The part where I was thinking a harmonica might be good, I might switch to a cello now.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; December 17th, 2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old December 18th, 2020, 01:54 AM   #148
Inner Circle

All this is still putting the cart before the horse, you may find that all your thoughts about numerous instruments fall by the wayside when the film itself is finally edited. They do have a habit of taking on a life of their own and what they demand musically may turn out very different.to your copy and paste instrumentation.
Old December 18th, 2020, 02:11 AM   #149
Inner Circle

Ryan, why does your composer not have these things? Sounds to me like he is either a pianist who composes piano music, rather than somebody who already composes movie music. The notion you are buying him his instruments is laughable. Can you imagine booking Hans Zimmer or Vangelis and discovering they want YOU to buy them their instruments. Totally ludicrous.

Even the most basic version of Cubase comes with all the sounds you’ve mentioned.

Can you imagine saying to a chef “ I want celery now, I’ve gone off rhubarb, but I might want to add some marmite?” They would walk out of the door they are just so different ingredients they would struggle to create a recipe that could be swung that far.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2020, 03:09 AM   #150
also known as Ryan Wray

Well actually I think he has all the instruments so far. I was just saying I could buy one if it turns out to be something he doesn't have. But I think he has them all so far accept for the bass saxophone I believe.

And we are just doing it now, mainly because of covid, and shooting is delayed. I thought it would help me shoot the scenes even better possibly, if I have a good idea of what the music is going to be. But maybe we are just doing it because we do not have a lot else to do while waiting...
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio