Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #526
Major Player

More please

Hi Daniel. You are in a unique position here - would you mind clarifying the contrasting advantages..?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
I have both the Sumix and the 5D Mark II.

The rolling shutter is about the same as on the Sumix, if not slightly less. Both the cameras have contrasting advantages.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #527
Major Player

[*] SMX-12A2C outputs 12bit uncompressed raw at 1-60fps, the 5D2 outputs 8 bit heavily compressed h.264 at only 30 fps
[*] SMX-12A2C provides complete manual control with no restrictions, the 5D2 has no manual control other than exposure compensation.
[*] SMX-12A2C is only a camera, the 5D2 has audio & video capture built in
[*] SMX-12A2C is not very light sensitive without introducing a lot of noise, the 5D2 has phenomenal low light sensitivity.
[*] SMX-12A2C has a 2/3" sensor which is ok, the 5D2 has a 35mm sensor.
[*] SMX-12A2C requires a laptop/mobile computer to capture and operate, the 5D2 is small and works out of the box.
[*] SMX-12A2C uncompressed RAW videos take up a huge amount of space, 5D2 output file size is much smaller.
[*] SMX-12A2C outputs sharpest and most detailed and natural 24p videos, 5D2 videos still look good but options in post are more limited especially with compression artifacts.
[*] SMX-12A2C needs a low pass filter, but the 5D2 has aliasing (due to it capturing only every 3rd line) you can only avoid with diffusion filters.
[*] SMX-12A2C Is very flexible with many different possibilities, custom software, hardware, possibilities for 3D and much more. The 5D2 firmware is encrypted.

The Sumix camera is good if you want to build a camera to your own specifications and don't mind investing the time and money in developing software, designing a production workflow, and researching hardware.

Both of them will have you jumping through hoops.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #528
Major Player

Hi Daniel - the 5D "possibly" gives an uncompressed 10-bit 4:4:4 HDMI at a 3:2 aspect ratio using Video + Face Recognition mode.
It is 1620 x 1080 with black bars on the side..
I think its uncompressed on the Live View as it crops the top and bottom when you press record. Also 3:2 is the native aspect ratio of the sensor.
The Face Record (Or Recognition) is needed to turn off the rectangle in the middle of Live View - the Overlay can be turned off in the menu.

I have no way of checking if the signal is uncompressed - if you can suggest a test, I can contact my friend and we can test this..
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #529
Regular Crew

Here are some more random shots I put together. I've upload it on to Vimeo:
SMX12A2C Test Shots on Vimeo

Please download and watch the original AVI file(~80MB). Even that one is highly compressed and has some compression artifacts not in the uncompressed files.

There are indeed aliasing issues. You can see them in the wide-angle shots (e.g. the building on the upper-right of the 4th shot) where the lens' resolution appears to be higher than the sensor's. I think an OLPF is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-wcam-090315-163757-000000.jpg  
Eric Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #530
Major Player

Eric,

Thanks for the sharing the video, it looks great.

I would be very interested in trying out your software. If this is possible to arrange please let me know. Maybe we can even collaborate on development.
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #531
Regular Crew

Thank you Daniel,

The current version of my software was written specifically for my PC hardware setup and most likely won't run on other system. I'll see what I can do when I have time to.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #532
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wu View Post
Here are some more random shots I put together. I've upload it on to Vimeo:
SMX12A2C Test Shots on Vimeo

Please download and watch the original AVI file(~80MB). Even that one is highly compressed and has some compression artifacts not in the uncompressed files.

There are indeed aliasing issues. You can see them in the wide-angle shots (e.g. the building on the upper-right of the 4th shot) where the lens' resolution appears to be higher than the sensor's. I think an OLPF is needed.
That looks f**** great ... it looks better than my 5DMK2 ... Aliasing issues, what lenses you use?

I was going to bouhgt sumix, but they just dont answer to mails. I already bought arriflex with lenses from 9.8 to 240mm to use with 12A2C, but then come 5DMKII, so I bought it, because I have so many canon lenses. I also bought nikon to canon converter to use manual nikkors to control f-stop.

Where is that 80 mb avi? Have you any pictures of your camera.

Johannes
www.cameratuning.fi
Johanes Wilenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #533
Regular Crew

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for the comment. The avi file can be found on the bottom-right corner of the Vimeo page.

Recently I've acquired several old 16mm lenses. It turned out that the lens matters a lot. The Nikon 50mm F1.4 I used in that test footage was too soft for the sensor. I'll post some new samples shut with other lenses.

The samples were shot with the program I wrote using the camera SDK. I chose a workflow very different from the Sumix's software's. IMO it's very difficult to get similar results using Sumix's current software.

Here you can find some picture of my camera setup:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternati...0-cmos-35.html
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #534
Regular Crew

How well does SMX-12A2C hold to 24fps?

I am developing a "freeish" uncompressed DI workflow (0K to about 8K) for making feature films and was wondering if the SMX-12A2C holds sync speed well enough to be within 1 frame in four minutes of shooting when you use an external WAV recorder for double system sound shooting?

Is there a flash/beep feature for the first frame to act as an auto-slate, or would I need to use a clap board?

We are doing tests for filmout on Vision 2383 print film using my DANCINEL.EXE (tm) with a ROSCO #22 filter off a 1600x1200 LCD monitor, we could resize the 1920x1080 images to letter-box in that, or do a crop and resize for 'Scope... Tests using H.264 from a Canon camera had issues with macro noise and frame rate conversion, so I am looking at uncompressed 24fps camera options.

Dan Hudgins
tempnulbox [at] yahoo [dot] com
The official DANCAD3D (tm) Beta Test Web site.
Dan Hudgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #535
New Boot

Okay I got my sumix and ordered for PC for tuning... intel miniitx dualcore and 128gb flash drive + 12 volt system... and if have to subcontract a arri to c-mount converter for my arri lenses

Eric, your software, is it posiible to buy (?$) , try?... is it possible to capture image squences with sumix or how do you convert those to DNG, with software? and those DNGs are able to open forexamble in photoshop as RAW

Any other software recommend to sumix?

I tried sumix soft with my old amd, what is too slow to, but I got footages / testing while waiting for a mini PC to arrive. Calibration, exposure & other etc. quite hard to get colors look even passable, but ayway trail looks promising

Last edited by Johanes Wilenius; May 30th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #536
New Boot

Okay, I got that video project PC ... so my first quick test shot of jackdaw with sumix + 300mm telecentry ... here is link to video :D
Index of /sumix
Original was 3.3Giga... and packed from VLC is 5.9mb

I dont have any other videosoft at my "PC" than, what came with a sumixsoft and it's very difficult to handle. My all videosofts are at my mac, FCP, AE, Color...
So I export avi and moved it to my mac, but only program what showed it was VLC player,
so I was not able to adjust anything. I tried to find wraw to quicktime, but
no succes ...

and few picts of my quick assemble bare-pc. I just wanted to try is system working.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-pc2p1010335.jpg   Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-tele300p1010337.jpg  

Old June 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #537
Regular Crew

Hello Johanes,

Sorry for the late reply.

That's a long lens you have there. Your system looks promising. Great footage, too.
There seems to be some transcoding problem of the footage. The resolution seems to be only half of the original.

The program I wrote saves the raw data in DNG sequence directly. DNG sequence can be opened as footages in Adobe AE, plus the varies adjustment you get with Adobe Camera Raw. I don't think there's any program out there that can convert Sumix's raw format to DNG. The only other software I know that support the SMX-12A2 camera is Norpix's SteamPix, but I've never used it. Currently I don't have any plan to sell my program. It's far from commercial quality anyway.

Do you have trouble connecting the camera? I usually have to redo the connecting procedure 2 or 3 times before it succeeded.
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #538
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wu View Post
The program I wrote saves the raw data in DNG sequence directly.

I don't think there's any program out there that can convert Sumix's raw format to DNG. The only other software I know that support the SMX-12A2 camera is Norpix's SteamPix, but I've never used it. Do you have trouble connecting the camera? I usually have to redo the connecting procedure 2 or 3 times before it succeeded.
Hello Eric,
and thanks for you answer and I have no hurry with this project, I have about 50 other proj.sessions going on, for example my I'm try to do 360° panoramas. One demo at Sibeliustalo virtualtour demo and here panorama with movie
Movie in 360° panorama )

Lense, Yes that quite loooong... I bought old arriflex st and I got 8 lenses for that,
I have from 9.8 to that 300mm... to 5DMK2 from 15mmFE to 400/2.8 & 1.4x and 2x, but there is no conversion for those I think?

DNG will be only I need now, I dont need long videos, raw workflow is familiar to me
(Camera tuning - Home).... Yes and I only record 1280x720/25 fps/12 bit for this test, but I tried also 50 fps at same size and it worked. I would like to try to batch process those in PS and the pull it back to video and to FCP / color... but not sure yet...
Maybe that avi wraw to AppleProRes would be also fine. So many unsolved things yet.

And usually, yes, few time to get connected

cheers
- johannes

Last edited by Johanes Wilenius; June 26th, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #539
Major Player

I wrote some software for the Sumix camera that captures frames to DNG using the Adobe SDK and has an interface modeled after the SI-2K system. It's not complete but has worked well with my touch screen for basic functionality. Unfortunately a few weeks ago my camera was bricked. Now it won't turn on or respond to any Ethernet events.

My software may have had something to do with it, I just don't understand how. Unless there is a major bug in the SDK I accidentally tripped. This has been a big setback, I had planned to release the software for free.

I have not had a chance to return the camera to Sumix. I will contact them next week and see if it's possible to arrange.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #540
New Boot

Update to my DIY HD CAM... PC got a new home, "Kulta Sula" vegetable oil can, maybe the ugliest cam in universe, some pictures at my web page: )

Camera tuning - DIY HD videocam
Johanes Wilenius is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods