Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #466
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
Well there are two things to keep in mind about the pictures...

First... I'm mixing daylight (~5600k) and tungsten (3200k) lighting. So colors are going to look a little funny. Especially when mixed in the (white) sails.

Second... The color filter in the camera is incorrect. It blocks some colors more than others and leaves a tinted and desaturated image.

I have been referred to the correct filter, but I'm going to wait for Sumix to provide the official hardware fix.
Were you referred to a third-party color filter? and is the fix provided by Sumix going to be a new filter or a color matrix (firmware) update as well?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM   #467
Major Player

The IRC-30 filter here:
IR cut-off filter

The filter I'm using right now cuts out red light, and when compensating with white balance it increases the noise by boosting the signal. Furthermore, the filter cuts out an additional 50% of all visible light. The camera is not performing as well as it should be.

I'm not sure which filter I have. My results are similar to:
http://www.dreamstonestudios.com/per...industrial.JPG

Here is a chart with the IRC-21 (cheaper filter)
http://www.dreamstonestudios.com/per...umix/IRC21.JPG

Finally, the IRC-30 (recommended filter)
http://www.dreamstonestudios.com/per...umix/IRC30.JPG

Images were provided by Sumix
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #468
Regular Crew

That first color chart is TERRIBLE. Hardly any color information.

The IRC-30 gets you about about 70% there. If you add color matrix calibration, you can get a lot closer, but you can still see that the colors aren't pure.

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-sumix_irc30_cc.jpg  
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #469
Regular Crew

Hello Daniel,

Can you confirm that the camera can be set to run 1920x1080, 24fps, 1/48 shutter speed (exposure time = 20.833ms) and 12-bit output, at the maximum pixel rate (74.76 MHz)?

I think this is the most common mode if we are using this camera for digital cinema works. To minimize the rolling shutter effect it's crucial to run it at the maximum pixel rate.

Thanks!
Eric Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #470
Major Player

Eric,

I just tried setting the camera to that configuration, seems to work fine. The screenshot below will help answer your question. As far as I know, yes it is capable of running at the settings you mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-smxss.jpg  
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #471
Regular Crew

That's great news, Daniel.

I noticed the exposure showed 0.769128ms, which is about 1/1300 shutter speed. I suppose it's the minimum value, isn't it? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

I'm planning to order one of the camera and write my own software. What I have in mind is recording uncompressed 12-bit RAW, real-time preview while recording, and a touch-screen UI like the SiliconDVR's.

Thank you for sharing the informations and doing the tests.
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #472
Major Player

Eric,

I'm not sure how to interpret the exposure value. That is in fact the maximum setting. I did not try to override with a manual input but I don't think it will work. The maximum exposure value depends on the set frequency, at 10 MHZ it peaks at only 4.98 ms or so.

I'm going to try and order the IRC-30 filter tomorrow and figure out a way to mount it. The filter should make a considerable improvement to the picture quality.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #473
Regular Crew

I'm no expert but I think an optical low-pass filter is needed to eliminate aliasing. So maybe it's these OLPFs incorporated with IR cut-off function that you'll need:

Optical low-pass filter
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #474
Regular Crew

is there a need of low pass filter? how is aliasing showing? any clear example? oh, and Daniel, can you post a screenshot of every segment of that "settings" window you posted above?

Last edited by Biel Bestue; August 25th, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #475
Regular Crew

Aliasing and Moire patterns
Moiré pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think most hi-end digital cameras have OLPF. It's likely the original Sumix filter is one, too.
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #476
Regular Crew

yeah i know that, that's why i suggested the use of that "new" patern in the bayer filter, but i guess that is not up to sumix but up to the maker of their imagers, that patern could get the same information from half the numbers of photosites, so we would be getting double amount of information, so a pixel binning thechnique should do to combat aliassing, but i gues sumix don't print the bayern patern in the imagers of their cameras
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #477
Major Player

Quick update, I ordered the IRC30 filter earlier this week and it will be coming in the mail tomorrow.

I will try to find time this weekend to shoot a few more tests.
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #478
Major Player

Here are the results from earlier today, shot with the new filter. Natural light only.

http://dreamstonestudios.com/persona...es/IRC30/1.jpg
http://dreamstonestudios.com/persona...es/IRC30/2.jpg
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #479
Regular Crew

Daniel, do you have an idea where the pattern on the corner of the clock comes from?
Gottfried Hofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #480
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel,

These pictures are gorgeous! To my eyes the resolution and dynamic range are very good. Even better if you can upload some footages.

The colors are not very different from your last pictures, though. Which is not a bad thing IMO. Raw data directly from the sensor are not optimized for human vision. Those Sony, Panasonic video cameras do a lot of processing like color matrix, white balancing, curves, before outputting the image. But those can all be done in post. recording raw data keeps the maximum flexibility for post processing.

There seem to be debayering artifacts. I'm not sure if that's what Gottfried Hofmann refers to but I think it can be easily fixed by choosing a more sophisticated debayer algorithm.
Eric Wu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods