New SG35 'Real Spinning Ground Glass Adapter' Commercial version coming soon. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

New SG35 'Real Spinning Ground Glass Adapter' Commercial version coming soon.

Hello Folks,
Just thought now was a good time to announce that the commercial version of my spinning glass adapter will be availible to buy, by the end of this month. The new 'SG35' adapter focuses on quality while attempting to overcome most of the 35mm adapter limitations, like grain, vignetting, distortion, light loss, limited aperture use, limited shutter speed use, creating an adapter that gives quality with minimum limits on creative control.

Here are two video's showing the results from my prototype:

http://tinyurl.com/cgazu

http://tinyurl.com/aqpaf

The adapter will come with a 15mm rod support, that will be adjustable to suit different camcorders.

One thing to keep in mind is it wont come with macro/acromat. It will come with 58mm thread size, so the buyer will provide his/her own macro, then screw the adpater onto his/her own macro. The case will be a black ABS plastic project box. Would people perfer a glossy or matte finish?

I see this as a better option anyway, as it gives the buyer the freedom to choose the macro/acromat that best suits their camcorder and personal preference. I will provide exact distance between filter thread and GG so potential buyers test if they need a macro or not by trying to frame and focus on a 36x24mm frame from that distance.

My asking price will be £150 for the adapter with 15mm rod support, plus postage and packing.

Ill get more video and shots of the unit up as soon as it happens.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Major Player

U.S. Dollars...

You have a cost in U.S. Dollars? Maybe a dumb question... sorry
Also what is the size of the GG... #3.5 inch? Thanks
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Craig,
Around $270 plus shipping.

concerning the diameter of my ground glass, all info is on my other thread, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50507

I have posted as much info there i think as needed to build the mechanism. I have slightly modified the design and method, but thats for the commercial version.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Trustee

Do you have a pic of your rig?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for you interest Michael.
No pics as off yet. I have my prototype all working beautifully, but want to build another unit first, with 15mm rods, then take pics of that unit to show. I beleive this gives a better impression of what is on offer. Expect pics of the unit within the week.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Trustee

What lens mounts available and which lens threads will it fit? Is it a screw in mount?
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for your questions,
Im currently supporting Nikon lenses. Im testing with Nikon 50mm lens.

I can built with other mounts, but I dont own other makes of lenses to test it with. I can easily set the flange focal distance as per the stated amount, worse case scenario is that the buyer would have to adjust the flange focal distance of the unit, assuming it was off.

If people give me a list of what lenses they are interested in using mostly, i'll purchase a few cheaply so that i can setup the flange focal of the unit properly.

The unit will come with a 58mm filter thread, reeady to couple to a macro lens of the buyers choice, assuming they need one.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Trustee

The shot on the second clip, where you have this Christmas tree looking thing in the dark, with the light glowing, what was the f-stop?
I seem to see a slight pattern at a moment, when you tilt up on the second clip. As if the GG slowed down or something. Did you notice that?
Overall, it looks pretty good. I would love to see some external takes with moving trees, in close up and wide shots. I'm mostly interested in sharpness.
What camera was the clips shot on? How does your rig attach to the camera lens?
Also, how about a clip or still of a deep focus shot?
By the way, I saw some stills over the other thread. How much color correction and post work on those stills and clips? They seem quite worked out in post, specially the colors.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks again for your questions and interest.
Firstly, all shots were taken with a cheap 1 chip/ccd panasonic nv ds30 like this:http://www.skala.nl/usr_img/webshop/19/PA-NVDS30.jpg

The shot on the spinning fibre optic lamp was at F1.4, 50mm lens. I stopped down the camcorders iris to give the lights more richness.

The light pattern your talkign about, which shot exactly? The tilt up with the flowers, or the tilt to the clock? I dont see any GG artifacts.

Ill get some outside footage as you requested, moving trees in the wind? No problem (first time in my life im hoping for a windy day;)

The unit will have 58mm filter thread, to atatch to the users macro lens, assuming a macro is needed. The cam and the unit is then fixed to the 15mm rods support, the cam via tripod screw, the unit to 2 vertical rods, that adjust in height.

As for the stills, only correction on them was to rotate 180 degrees. You think they had post effect? Thats just cool, makes me very chuffed for my efforts:D They are quite saturated, the flowres were shot in direct sunlight.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Last edited by Wayne Kinney; September 20th, 2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
The shot on the spinning fibre optic lamp was at F1.4, 50mm lens. I stopped down the camcorders iris to give the lights more richness.

How did you stop the lens down in that little consumer camera. I have one juts like it, but it doesn't have a manual iris. What was the F-stop then?

Quote:
The light pattern your talkign about, which shot exactly? The tilt up with the flowers, or the tilt to the clock? I dont see any GG artifacts.

The flowers. I think I see some fixed pattern in the background.

Quote:
Ill get some outside footage as you requested, moving trees in the wind? No problem (first time in my life im hoping for a windy day;)

Thanks. A deep focus shot would be also nice, to check sharpness.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Michael,

Yes my cheap panasonic has full manual control. Sorry but i dont remember what the F stop number was on the camcorder, only that the SLR was at F1.4

Im sure there is no pattern in the shot. You maybe seeing compression artifacts...maybe i can post a VERY SHORT dv compressed file?

I'll try to get some outside shots of trees soon.

thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #12
Trustee

Really? Your camera has the manual stuff? I need to check mine then. Is it in the menus? I thought it didn't have any manual controls. I have the same camera. Maybe the U.K. version is different.
It could be compression artifacts I guess . It would be cool if you could post a dv compressed file from that tilt.
Looking forward to the tree shots. Can you also post a deep focus clip?
Thanks.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #13
Major Player

You have the same cam? Read the manual its all there.

Hold the auto/manual button on top of the cam, then control white balance, focus, shutter and iris using the rotory wheel,

Ill try and get a small dv compressed clip uploaded. but it will be pal 720x576 25fps

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #14
Trustee

I'd love support for Canon FD lenses, and I think a lot of other people would too.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #15
Major Player

Many thanks for that suggestion, Ben. Ill see what i can do.

Any other popular lens makes?

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods