The Letus35 Redesigned :) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #16
Trustee

Deleted duplicate
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #17
Trustee

Thought I'd mention that Home Depot bags from the screws/nails section work really, really well. Almost nil light loss. And when you put it on the Letus vibrating mechanism, the thing vibrates at least a millimeter. Most crisp stuff I've ever seen. Cheers to whoever thought of this.
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Trustee

Home Depot bags? What bags and what are you using them for?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I thought about beattie focusing screen and shorter distance but just don't want to copy Dan's work.

Quyen
Quyen, do you see any advantage in a Letus35 with a beattie?
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Thought I'd mention that Home Depot bags from the screws/nails section work really, really well. Almost nil light loss. And when you put it on the Letus vibrating mechanism, the thing vibrates at least a millimeter. Most crisp stuff I've ever seen. Cheers to whoever thought of this.
Woo hoo! I was the one that thought of it, so excellent news Ben! :)

With the wider range in vibration I assume the image is even smoother. Now the trick is to get rid of the vignette issues on your setup, right? A stronger condenser perhaps? I know you are waiting on the Beattie, but still ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Home Depot bags? What bags and what are you using them for?
Ben is talking about using the bag material as a diffuser. I found out it was a great material for this purpose. I suggested it on this thread where you can find my diffusion screen tests:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58214

I have not seen such a diffusive material with so little light loss and such a small grain. Also, as Ben said, its so thin that it is ultra-sharp.
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #21
Major Player

I think that is the best setup right now. Thin GG on the letus35 vibrating. I don't think you could ask for me. Any screengrabs Ben?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #22
Trustee

Ask and ye shall receive :)

http://frozenphoenixproductions.com/.../LetusTest.bmp
http://frozenphoenixproductions.com/...LetusTest1.bmp
http://frozenphoenixproductions.com/...LetusTest2.bmp

The ground glass distance and the condenser distance are off though, and I don't particularly like the bokeh. I need to make a few adjustments.
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Ben, are these tests with the short design or just the regular with the thin-film screen?

What is off about the condenser and screen distance? The images look pretty good to me.
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #24
Trustee

These are with the regular Letus. I can't really test the short version until the Intenscreen comes because I need some kind of condenser.

But like you said, the images are fine, so I don't really see the point in continuing my design--the light loss is already down at least half a stop. I like the results too much to go back :)
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #25
Major Player

Wow, those are with the plastic bag from home depot?! Mighty interesting ideas that Alain has started. Forget the glass GG and go for the thin film of a bag or tape. I like this idea alot. In the next couple of days I am going to remove (fingers crossed) the GGfrom my letus35 and try one of the bags and see what happens. HEy Ben what about colour sep? How about colour aberrations?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #26
Major Player

these bags have almost no light loss
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #27
Trustee

I think those are brighter but softer. Look at the tree, it's not very sharp. Maybe the interscreen will be sharper?
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I think those are brighter but softer. Look at the tree, it's not very sharp. Maybe the interscreen will be sharper?
I don't know why you say they are softer. The tree shot has the fruit/flower on focus; the rest of the leaves, front and back, are out of focus therefore they look "soft". Ben said it's the most crisp imagery he has seen and mine looks pretty sharp too (although my adapter is clumsy and has static grain at this point).

http://mentemagica.com/35mmAdapter/AdapterTest20c.jpg
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM   #29
Trustee

By soft I didn't mean out of focus, I meant sharp as in detail level. I have seen grabs from the stock Letus35 looking sharper and nicer than that. Those shots have a dreamy look to them, like when you're using a pro-mist or something. They are sure not razor sharp.
Sorry, no offence, it's just my opinion.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:10 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Maybe we need to see a comparison of the original GG versus the thin-film screen. It will help determine also if it is not a characteristic of the GL2. (which incidently is the one I am using as well)
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods