The Letus35 Redesigned :) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #106
Trustee

Yes. I guess that makes it the the macro.
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #107
Major Player

So your saying you had the distortion before and after the century optics macro?
Old January 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #108
Trustee

Well the PCX on the letus mostly cancelled it out, but depending on the distance it would get better or worse.
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #109
Major Player

Where is everyone getting their 120mm PCX lenses from these days?
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM   #110
Major Player

BTW -- if someone wants a Beattie screen (the smaller one, clear matte finish for the Contax), let me know. I've got an entirely unused screen here I just bought from B&H and have decided to use something else. Cost to me was $93 plus shipping, so I'd sell it for the same to anyone interested. Ordering it from B&H took a while -- I'd send it off w/in one day of ordering.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM   #111
Major Player

consider it sold....pmail me.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM   #112
Major Player

consider you pmailed.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #113
New Boot

Any new developments Ben? Seems like maybe you ran into trouble. I ordered a beattie screen, and also pre-ordered G35. I want to buy the high-lux version, so I'm hoping that the Letus can serve as my low-lux with the beattie installed. So I'm curious to see how it's going for you. Have you had to clean the beattie yet?
Aaron McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:17 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Testing the Beattie Intenscreen on the Letus35

I would suggest the following test:

TEST I

1) Before changing the Letus' focusing screen to the Intenscreen, shoot a good color chart with the original Letus GG and a line and pattern chart taking care not to pass the upper 80 IRE limit. Note the f value of the 35mm objective and the f value of the camera objective (e.g. objective).

Keep track of distance and angles and magnification, in order to ensure quasi-identical pictures.

2) After installing the Beattie Intenscreen repeat the same operation, conforming to the same upper 80 IRE limit.

Post the results as TIFF pictures (no further compression !).

TEST II

Create shooting conditions allowing to evaluate bokeh, CA and other artefacts.

Post the results.

Until then, the superiority of the Beattie solution remains an unsubstantiated claim.

Last edited by Daniel Apollon; February 3rd, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM   #115
Trustee

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted here in a while, I've been busy with a TV project that's due Tuesday--and we haven't even finished filming yet. So I apologize if I seem a little busy, because I am.

Daniel, I agree with the degree of thoroughness that you're demanding but you're not going to get those tests from me, sorry. I'm simply not willing to switch out my GG again after putting in the Beattie which was, I must say, a trying exercise. If Quyen's willing to ship me another vibration unit maybe I'd reconsider.

And unsubstantiated? Any fellow Letus owner would agree that the results I've posted are much sharper than that of the stock GG.

I do understand the strength of your curiousity but I'm sorry that I'm not able to satisfy it.

I will post res charts with the Beattie screen and more tests soon, after this nightmare of a project wraps up.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Testing again

Ben, I did not meant to say that your claims were unsubstantiated. Actually, the Beattie ground glass appears to be substantially better in term of (1) clarity, (2) sharpness. However, final judgement must be postponed until comparative tests taking into consideration all relevant parameters which constitute overall optical quality have been carried out .
It would much easier for people such as Quyen, the "Father" of the Letus35 to carry out such tests. I own a Letus35A Flip and I'm wondering whether Quyen has improved the GG in this version.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM   #117
Major Player

Daniel, being that you already have a letus flip, and you have a detailed methodology worked out....why not spend the $92, grab a beattie, and post em up? My thinking is that a random holographic diffussion surface combined with a light directing fresnel, and Dan D's exhaustive tests, would indicate that Ben's results are indeed valid.

From what I've seen of letus footage, I would theorize that the squirmy grain I pointed out is DV compression's response to low frequency vibrating GG's...regardless of surface.

Ben, those EIA1956 with and without your adapter would be easy though.....Steve Dinkins? MPIC test? Now if I could just find Jim with that beattie he's selling.....
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
From what I've seen of letus footage, I would theorize that the squirmy grain I pointed out is DV compression's response to low frequency vibrating GG's...regardless of surface.≈.
Dennis, this sound interesting and potentially important, could you elaborate on this point (compression response) ? Thanks.

Another issue, which needs to be tested, and is potentially much more complicated, is evaluating the diffusion/spread pattern of colours through the focusing screen. And I'm not referring to "aberrations" or "artefacts" but to "the spatial interpretation of the color spectrum/colour space". As most of us have noticed, the overall colorimetry of a picture shot on a focusing screen afffected. Additionally, any filmmaker will develop a subjective experience of the "distinctive colouring" of the picture generated but any 35mm adapter. E.g., using the Letus35A Flip on a DVX100A with original Canon optics and shooting progressive, I get a much more saturated, more 16mm-like colouring. It's not a problem or a deficiency, just a characteristic of my adapter.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #119
Major Player

Well said, Daniel.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #120
Major Player

g35 no longer static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Don't forget that the G35 is built to be much more durable than the Letus, as well as the fact that the G35 is apparently static...but then again, is it worth the extra $$$?
Actually, I just read in their FAQ that they will no longer be making the g35 static. Something to do with the requirements of HD cameras.

Suddenly, I'm much less excited about the G35
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods