The Letus35 Redesigned :) - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #91
Major Player

"When you get immersed in this subject, it's easy to forget until your wife walks over, looks at the footage, then makes the comment: "You did all of this to get that???" Lugging the 100lbs of blast media in five different grades into my shop (GG tuning), I wonder myself sometimes!"

or when your girlfriend finds all the melted wax on her things .. or her hairdryer overheats and burns out, and destroy every cellphone in you house trying to find a vibrator that will work, or you cut your fingers wide open trying to get glass out of a filter and she looks at you and your bleeding hands in horror as you hold your fancy looking frankenstein adapter.. taped together for quick changes sake.. and "ALL" you have to show her for your efforts is "a blurry background :P "
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #92
Regular Crew

g35 vs. Ben's Modified Letus

G35 footage by Matthew Wauhkonen :
http://csxinfo.net/mattw/g35.mov

Modified Letus footage by Ben Winter:
http://www.frozenphoenixproductions....estoutside.mov

Both have the buzzy grain. Both have very similiar results. I think I prefer Bens footage over the g35. Hmmmmm
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #93
Major Player

Grain Question

Ok if the grain is there with both the old and new GG. Should one still consider replacing the GG with a new one? Or is what we are after is the Crispness of the image that is in focus?
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #94
Trustee

Craig, by replacing the GG with a Beattie there is an increase in clarity as well as a decrease in light loss, which are the main reasons for the switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wisniowski
Both have the buzzy grain. Both have very similiar results. I think I prefer Bens footage over the g35. Hmmmmm
Don't forget that the G35 is built to be much more durable than the Letus, as well as the fact that the G35 is apparently static...but then again, is it worth the extra $$$?
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #95
Trustee

Removed duplicate
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #96
Regular Crew

I think I prefer Ben's to the G35 as well. I wouldn't even complain about that amount of grain, since it gives it kind of a film-y look. Since the G35 is static, I suppose you could concievably get almost zero grain out of it by making a grain filter in post (since there's so little as it is), but for my part, I like prefer the very slightly grainy look of Ben's.
Joel Kreisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #97
Major Player

Ben, did you have any luck with the EIA1956s with and without the adapter? For my tests, I left the tripod in place, just removed the adapter and reframed with the same f/stop settings (increased shutter speed after removing adapter). I'm very curious! It would be great to try this with the letus GG too, but that's a lot of work.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #98
Trustee

Well, for another day yet again I have been unable to do the EIA1956 test. But I did try quickly shooting a grid and I noticed that there is some slight barrel distortion, which makes me sad. It's probably the Century Optics macro acting up in this situation, which makes me wonder if my previous "shortened" design is still a better way to go. Still, I have a lot of footage to shoot tomorrow for an actual TV class project so we'll see how the footage looks, I'll post some tests. And yes, I promise I'll get around to the EIA1956, it's sitting on my desk right now :)
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #99
Major Player

Ben, I am noticing this too with my rig, and it is bothersome. I think Wayne was saying there is a sweet spot for the macro to be in so that there is no barrel distortion? Maybe it was him?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #100
Major Player

The distortion is most likely coming from the PCX lens in the letus. The SG35 also suffers slight distortion.
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #101
Trustee

So how the Mini35 works? No PCX, cause I haven't seem complains of distortions.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #102
Major Player

Not sure about the mini35, not sure many people know the optical setup of that, but i know the m2 does not use a PCX, but i have heard some have had trouble with vignetting.
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #103
Major Player

Wayne, didn';t you say there was a sweet spot though?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #104
Major Player

Leo,
Its a trade off. You can move the PCX away from the ground glass, which will remove the distortion but start to give you more chromatic aberration.
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #105
Major Player

Ben,

Did you notice the barreling before the Century optics?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods