The Letus35 Redesigned :) - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #121
Major Player

grain issues

RE: the question for Dennis (noise issue being a by product of DV compression + low level vibrations)

Here is some footage from a Letus Flip. I've seen the same issue in my HDV footage. Here is a clip that is compressed to DV AVI but it looks the same as it does in HDV (if anyone wants me to do something with the HDV in Premiere/Cineform, just send me instructions and I'll upload it).

Anyone want to download it and take a look? (about 190mb)

www.danielrudd.com/media/cleanedletus.avi

here's a shorter clip in a different setting (smaller download but very short content). Also DV AVI:

you can see the problem particularly in the areas where light meets dark and the cam. is in motion
www.stock20.com/media/letus/tony_in_chair.avi
www.stock20.com

Last edited by Daniel Rudd; February 6th, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #122
Major Player

Ben,
I just finished my own set of rod/rails and noticed that it still requires a delicate touch to get the rack focus without shaking - much easier than without the rod/rails, but still careful movements. Did you notice this with the Cavision rails?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #123
Trustee

Negative, Leo. I tighten the support while it's pushing upward so it puts tension on the adapter's threads, which solidifies the whole setup. Also, the Century Optics adapter is a much tighter fit so I've found that I can use many of my smaller primes without the rod system at all.

Try wrapping the adapter and the support together with a piece of wire.
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #124
Major Player

I have to tighten everything and put some corkboard under the camera base as well to really tighten it up. I will try again. Thanks
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #125
Major Player

Daniel A., I missed your question there. My question (and I don't have the answer) is related to how DV compression handles noise in bokeh areas. It's a fine point, but I notice it particularly on my 51" HDTV. I've spent a great deal of time tuning bokeh...so I find myself quite distracted by grain patterns. The pattern that I see from Ben's and MPIC stuff is what I would describe as "angry bees"...in other words pretty active.

In the both your clips, there's a lot of what looks like stationary grain and dust. Is this a static adapter?

Leo, your rig should be rock solid on rails if it's mounted properly. Assuming the letus is supported properly, try 1 inch velcro strap around the whole thing. It's just easier to apply and remove.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #126
Major Player

Yeah, I already have the velcro around the Letus35 - it actually looks like the Cavision in design. I do notice that my camera is not perfectly mounted to the base, so that is why the cork board is next to give it something to bite into.
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Mandy
Yeah, I already have the velcro around the Letus35 - it actually looks like the Cavision in design. I do notice that my camera is not perfectly mounted to the base, so that is why the cork board is next to give it something to bite into.
A mouse pad rubber will give you a better grip than cork. :)
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #128
Major Player

I've done a few things since then and it is much better. I was also experiencing the vibration from the Letus35A against the aluminum hold it up, so I put some soft foam there. My tripod isn't great either so I am experience so all over movement from it. I think I need to invest in a good one to eliminate all of these problems, but the rail system seems to work fine for now.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood

In the both your clips, there's a lot of what looks like stationary grain and dust. Is this a static adapter?
No it is a letus 35 flip. Not modified.

When the motor is off you can see a significant difference, but I agree.
It looks like you can see the gg grain. The bigger dust spots are just by products of the last time I took it apart and I haven't cleaned them yet.

I've tried all of Quyen's tricks (moving the support sticks out, cleaning the gg), and I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

Any thoughts?
www.stock20.com
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #130
Major Player

Hard to say without some uncompressed footage in good light. Given what you've spent though, I'd be dealing with Quen directly on this one. My guess is that something's not right there.....
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #131
Inner Circle

Daniel.

A wild and woolly suggestion so ignore at will.

Try adding some resistive mass around outside of the Letus bodywork. This could as simple as some discarded wheel balance weights from your local tyrefitter or service station and strapped firmly around the Letus body with some stout elastic bands or inner tube or gaffer tape.

The failure of the gg to de-resolve grain may be an opposite motion of the case if it is not firmly mounted.

As I say - a woolly thought to be ignored.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart
Daniel.

The failure of the gg to de-resolve grain may be an opposite motion of the case if it is not firmly mounted.

As I say - a woolly thought to be ignored.
hmmm... When I tighten down the adapter, I don't use very much force at all. It is only lightly screwed in - mostly because that aligns the frame properly.

Does your theory suggest I should tighten it all the way?
www.stock20.com
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM   #133
Trustee

Hey guys--
didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd shove this in here. I recently completed a film shot completely with the Letus modified--The diner scene was shot with the original Letus GG, everything else was basically shot with the Beattie installed. The only shot that isn't using the Letus is the very last shot at the end.

I know it's not a large frame size, but it's 10 minutes long, so I wanted to make it playable.

http://media.frozenphoenixproduction...rokenminds.mov

Let me know what you think.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Hey guys--
didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd shove this in here. I recently completed a film shot completely with the Letus modified--The diner scene was shot with the original Letus GG, everything else was basically shot with the Beattie installed. The only shot that isn't using the Letus is the very last shot at the end.

I know it's not a large frame size, but it's 10 minutes long, so I wanted to make it playable.

http://media.frozenphoenixproduction...rokenminds.mov

Let me know what you think.
You're a prodigy! What did you use to compose the music?
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:10 PM   #135
Major Player

nice stuff ben.. good to see something other than test shots on these. really liked it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods