High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #571
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Nydren View Post
I would stay away from the N1 if I where you...
..it looks really good - but the screen is very small and from what I hear it is very buggy. (a friend of a friend has it)

just thought I would give you the heads up ;)

//O.
Odd, I have just received my Neonode, looks like it is an N1m, but still checking.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM   #572
Regular Crew

Hello!

I was disappeared in recent weeks because I've been busy shooting my first film - unfortunately with a rental camera. It was a Sony F350, not a bad one but I'm still waiting for the Elphel because in the summer we'll start our next project and I wouldn't like to shoot it with a rental camera again.

Lots of good ideas have popped up on this thread in the meantime. I'm glad that more and more people are involved in this project so I don't have to do all of it myself... As for my parts, I'm still sticking to the fpga implementation of the BloodSimple(TM) codec I described months ago. I'll soon test its performance with the raw (?) material (video?) someone posted here if that's still available, and then report the results.

Andrey, you're probably already testing the 353. Our original plans were using 1270x720 and that setup needed 13MB/s output data rate with 10bits (without LUT) and 2:1 compression. Can the camera transport this amount of data to the hard disk?

I'm thinking in 2:1 because that's the worst case scenario for this codec. In most cases the ratio will be around 2.5:1, but if we want to design with that we need to have some memory buffering for the harder-to-compress parts. The encoder itself will be lightning-fast because I plan to use multiple instances of it working in paralell so I'm more concerned about the other parts of the system. Andrey, how this part of the memory architecture works?

Zsolt
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM   #573
Major Player

I'm still confused as to how phil's videos have no rolling shutter artifacts, especially at 12fps. My understanding of the rolling shutter is that the cmos sensor takes the entire frame length to begin integration, so the last line doesnt begin integrating (exposing) pretty much until the first line is already done integrating for that frame. The only way to avoid this is through vertical blanking or framerate decimation, which are not options when you are running at the highest pixelrate and largest frame size of the sensor. So whats going on here? When I take 12fps videos at full frame with that micron sensor, the whole image is skewed even with the slightest movement.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #574
Regular Crew

Noah, I've just watched the Elphel-Test-Ieper-Belgium3.avi video and it is definitely skewed. In the first half there's not much to see because there's no horizontal movement (altough there's some unreal distortion of the buildings running out on the right) but look at the cathedral when the car turns. Hopefully we won't have any of those with 1/60 readout speed instead of 1/12.

Zsolt
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM   #575
Major Player

Maybe it's just that I'm used to playing with my camera tethered to my computer in a small room where things are very close and I am using a longer lenses so movement is much greater so the skew seems much worse.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #576
Major Player

Noah, the rolling shutter is very bad, as bad as can be... but at some frame rates, it is almost gone. I have to right down what setting are best.

-

I've just ordered my new laptop. The 333 is doing fine on my Intel Celeron 1.GHz with 1 gig ram, so it can only get much much better. I'll have a core-2 dual processor, 2 gig ram and a fast NVIDIA graphics card.
I hope I can record with a higher Jpeg compression and no frame drops. I have successfully recorded at 90% Jpeg quality, but most of times it'll result in frame drops.

I'd still like to install Linux to the hard drive next to Windows, but I found lots of discussions on the internet with people having trouble with the Knoppix liveCDs installed to disk. So... should I install a Linux version dedicated to hard drive installation? Would it be difficult to get all the software right to use the Elphel on something else than Knoppix?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #577
Major Player

HI,

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks and it looks really interesting. Anyway, I downloaded the Elphel-Test-Ieper-Belgium3.avi video last night and it won't play on my WMP 10. I tried downloading several codecs including theora and 264 but still won't work. What am I missing? MJPEG? Is there a free one?

By the way, am I the only one that thinks ethernet would be a greater standard for camcorder output in the future than HD-SDI and many of those others? Imagine a field recorder with an ethernet input for instance. Seems like wireless video transmission between a camera and recorder would also be easier to setup too.

Also, I wonder what would be the problem with creating live switching using ethernet? Have a switcher with 4 to 8 inputs bringing in some of these cameras like the Elphel 353 and switching them live and recording the output on the ethernet field recorder (or whatever).

Would ethernet be realtime enough to keep up with the demand for completely smooth, uninterrupted video with no glitches? A recorder wouldn't be much problem because you can smooth things out with buffers, etc. But a realtime switcher demands uninterrupted video streams to mix together, add titles and key and put the mixed result out for recording or broadcasting so any holdup in the packets coming across wouldn't give good results.

Thanks
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #578
Major Player

I did some tests this evening with a vanilla letus35 on the 333. The results are too soft and a bit disappointing as far as what i would expect from HD. I closed the iris a bit to try to get more sharpness out of it, but i don't think any of the optics I have are designed for high definition imaging.

-exposure 40
-saturation 2
-sensitivity 2
-2000x800@85
-24 fps

Minolta 50mm f1.8 slr between f2.8-f5.6
letus35
333 zoom lens f1.8 @ f2.8

http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/letus/qt.jpg
http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/letus/tyl.jpg
http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/letus/v8.jpg

(bumped up saturation to 3 for test)
http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/letus/s3.jpg

I don't think im getting the full potential of the camera. I would really like to see some tests with a high quality c/cs lens, and a SGpro for conclusive results.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #579
Regular Crew

rolling shutter

I think someone owning a 333 should experiment with the shutter speed: setting a smaller image size and going 24fps with 1/60 shutter and do extreme horizontal pans or filming cars running across the viewport. It would be interesting to see (or not see) the skewing.

Zsolt

Last edited by Zsolt Hegyi; March 24th, 2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #580
Regular Crew

Daniel ...why are you disappointed by the result of the letus?!? ...I think that are far better from the one of every sd camera and you haven't used a good lens! let's show us some more pics and movie if you can
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #581
Major Player

yes, i agree its far better then SD. I overstated by saying im disappointed, the images are satisfactory.

I neglected to show the worst of the batch.

http://www.buysmartpc.com/333/letus/txt.jpg

I think the text should have resolved better. Its easier to read once you sharpen them in post but this is something im trying to avoid.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #582
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier View Post
I'd still like to install Linux to the hard drive next to Windows, but I found lots of discussions on the internet with people having trouble with the Knoppix liveCDs installed to disk. So... should I install a Linux version dedicated to hard drive installation? Would it be difficult to get all the software right to use the Elphel on something else than Knoppix?
This runs from CD? There are programs that reproduce the Disks on hard drive, so it can be run from hard drive instead of from disk.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #583
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
HI,

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks and it looks really interesting. Anyway, I downloaded the Elphel-Test-Ieper-Belgium3.avi video last night and it won't play on my WMP 10. I tried downloading several codecs including theora and 264 but still won't work. What am I missing? MJPEG? Is there a free one?

By the way, am I the only one that thinks ethernet would be a greater standard for camcorder output in the future than HD-SDI and many of those others? Imagine a field recorder with an ethernet input for instance. Seems like wireless video transmission between a camera and recorder would also be easier to setup too.

Also, I wonder what would be the problem with creating live switching using ethernet? Have a switcher with 4 to 8 inputs bringing in some of these cameras like the Elphel 353 and switching them live and recording the output on the ethernet field recorder (or whatever).

Would ethernet be realtime enough to keep up with the demand for completely smooth, uninterrupted video with no glitches? A recorder wouldn't be much problem because you can smooth things out with buffers, etc. But a realtime switcher demands uninterrupted video streams to mix together, add titles and key and put the mixed result out for recording or broadcasting so any holdup in the packets coming across wouldn't give good results.

Thanks
Richard, I am sure Andrey can answer these questions better than I, and has security multiple feeds planned. Compressed is not to bad, except the compression delay, but for uncompressed even GigE maxes out an long way before 4:4:4 108025p feed. What would be needed is 10Gbe for an limited number uncompressed packed HD 60p feeds, or 100Gbe (for future backbone of many SHD and UHD feeds).
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #584
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
10Gbe for an limited number uncompressed packed HD 60p feeds, or 100Gbe (for future backbone of many SHD and UHD feeds).
I like the sound of that. Unfortunately, 1Gbe hasn't even rolled out en masse yet.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #585
Inner Circle

He, He, it is just that people get by with 100/10, so it hasn't been so widely adopted on the consumer end. 10 GigE is out, and preliminary 100 GigE might be defined. Here is some main boards with ten * GigE ports you might like.

http://www.win-ent.com/fullcatalog.htm
http://www.win-ent.com/IP-06049.htm
http://www.win-ent.com/PL-01033.htm
http://www.win-ent.com/MB-09015.htm
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project