old lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thank Chris,
Cabo looks terrific.
Vivitar 28mm 2.8 serial # starts with 28 and I also got vivitar 200mm 3.5 that starts with 37. Just ordered the adapter last night and I cant wait to try those lenses. Still looking for some zoom lenses that will do good in low light, but not sure which lens to look for yet. Any advice is welcome.
Slavomir Valko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The 28 2.8 is definitely a keeper. I've seen images taken with that lens and they are really striking. As far as zooms go, do you need a standard zoom (starts around 28 and ends around 70mm) or a telephoto zoom (starts at 70 and usually goes to 200)? For a cheap standard zoom that's pretty good in low light, you can get the Vivitar 28-105 2.8-3.8 that Mark Von Lanken has or you can get the Vivitar 28-90 2.8-3.5 that I carry around. The advantage is pretty obvious as they reach further in than most standard zooms do without losing as much speed throughout the focal range. Also the fact that the macro capabilities is unreal on them is a welcome bonus.

If you need a telephoto zoom, then the Vivitar 70-210 3.5 is a great choice as well. It's almost as fast as a modern 2.8 zoom lens for much much less. In fact I saw a listing on Ebay for one in the PK mount for only $49 for a first edition version of the lens. Best of luck and can't wait to see what you do with the Vivitars!

Chris W
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have been offered a Vivitar 28mm-200mm 3.7-5.7f Is that going to be too slow in low light?

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #19
Major Player

I can't think of _any_ 28-200 that will be fast enough in low light. I would not go any slower than f2 for low light.

There's a few 35/2's out there, I have a Russian MIR 35/2 in M42 mount and a Soligor 35/2 in Nikon mount. Both were less than $50-.

Also keep an eye out for the Kiron/Vivitar 24/2's in various mounts. They tend to have sticky apertures due to age, but for video and manual focus use, that's not a deal breaker. I have a Vivitar 24/2 in OM mount.

Another possibilty, is Canon EF-S lenses like the 17-55/2.8 and 17-85IS with burnt-out USM motors, rendering the AF un-useable, but the IS often is fine, and you'd only use them in MF mode anyhow. The price also drops significantly.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Neill View Post
I have been offered a Vivitar 28mm-200mm 3.7-5.7f Is that going to be too slow in low light?

I think you'll probably be disappointed with that lens for low light. 3.5 is really the minimum max aperture for low light situations and that's with a light on already. If you don't want to use light, then you need something at least as fast as f/2 as Kin stated. At receptions, we switch to fast manual primes with one of us doing a wide shot with a 35mm f/2 and the other using an 85mm 1.4 or 55mm 1.4.

It's a different workflow but if you have two shooters at the reception, it's worth doing.

Chris W
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thank you Kin & Chris.

The feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Old July 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Howard,

It's good to see you over here at DVInfo. The whole lens thing is so different with DSLRs compared to a traditional video camera. I really had to rethink my processes and lens choices.

The first reception that I shot the entire time with a DSLR I was really disappointed. I had the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5. It was great for close shots of dancing, but it didn't look any brighter than what I would get with my HMC150. If anything it looked darker. The photographer had a Canon L 24-70mm f/2.8 that she let me experiment with. While it was brighter than the 70-210 3.5, I was not impressed with what I saw.

Then at another wedding I had a WOW moment. I was shooting the reception with a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 and it looked okay. Then the photographer let me use his Canon L 50mm f/1.4. Talk about AMAZING. It looked so bright and the DoF looked so incredible. Then I tried out his 80mm f/1.4. Again, incredible imagery! That experience sold me on using fast primes for a lot of the reception, especially in low light conditions.

That night I came home and started my ebay search for 1.4 lenses. I now have a Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and I just got the Rokinon 85mm f1/.4 that I will use this weekend. Without fast lenses, f/2.0 and below, you will not be able to take advantage of the low light capabilities of DSLRs

Yes, it is different working with primes over zoom lenses, but it's a matter of selecting the right lens for the right segment of the wedding day. There are times when there is enought light that I can use the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 and 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, but if the reception is really dark, those zoom lenses stay in the bag.
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark

It is good to hear from you.

At this stage, I have the kit lens, which came with the camera. I am told that it is not too bad when it is at its widest angle.

Following advice from Chris Watson, I was lucky enough to buy a Russian Zenit with a Helios Lens.44M-4, 1:2/58mm.

Our situation is different to most. We still have two Canon XM-2 (GL-2) cameras. One is 12 months old and the other is 18 months old. We edit in SD on Adobe Premiere Pro 2. The new Canon EOS 550D (T2i) is mainly going to be used as a static camera during the service and speeches.

The two lenses which we have will suffice, for the time being but if I can pick up some old but fast prime lenses on the second hand market, I will do so.

You might ask why I didn't just buy another video camera, instead of the Canon EOS 550D? I feel that it can play a part for a short corporate video, where the client requires HD

Cheers

Old July 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #24
Trustee

Howard good to see you here as well.

Yeah, I just ordered the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 the other day and am looking forward to checking it out, especially in low light.

I already have the nifty 50 Canon 1.8 and love the glass. but hate the focus ring.
I also have a MIR1b 37mm 2.8 Russian lens that is tiny but sweet.

However I have been only looking only into fast primes as was suggested here.
With video and a DSLR I don't see the need to use a zoom, as I am easily able to simply move myself closer tot he subject if needed, at a reception.

With the 1.6x cop factor on the 550D, the only hiccup might be not having enough room to move back if need at a venue. But then I woudl simply change lenses if this is required.

But having fast primes in the 1.4-2.0 range should cover this for low light shooting.

I already have a 50mm, but am looking for a more robust one and have my eye on a couple Super Taks, but am also planning to pickup either a Canon 28mm 1.8 EF lens or a Sigma 30mm 1.4 to cover the wide shots.

While I like the vintage lens route, I also would like a mix of auto lenses to mix in when needed as well.
If I can find a good affordable 1.4-2.0 28-30mm lens then I will jump on this first.

But as suggested fast glass is the way to go.
Cameras might not hold their value, but good fast glass always will. So it's easy to sell and upgrade later on if desired.
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael

It is good to hear from people we know from way back.

Cheers

Old July 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #26
New Boot

I find it strange that it is so hard to find a fast wide angle lens, while with zooms the problem of a large aperture always lies on the long end.. You can easily find old 50mm 1.4, but the best 28mm are all f/2.8. Then there's hardly any benefit compared to my Tamron 17-50 f2.8.. although the contrast and saturation will perhaps be better, I'd choose for the AF (for stills) and zoom of the Tamron.

Also, do you know an old really wide-angle lens which is comparable to the Tokina 11-16? Preferably with a K-mount
Robin de Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #27
Trustee

I believe that I saw a Zeiss lens that might be comparable for old manual lenses. But it will cost ya more than the Tokina.

BTW, while I assume that Pentax K adapters will work with the EOS mount, I haven't had great success with this mounts, as they seem to come lose rather easily. I prefer M42, Nikon, and MD mounts myself, as they seem to be much more reliable in my experiences.

Shame, since I have seen lots of god deals on Pentax K mount lenses, but have passed due to my lack of c=success with those adapters.
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin de Lange View Post
I find it strange that it is so hard to find a fast wide angle lens, while with zooms the problem of a large aperture always lies on the long end.. You can easily find old 50mm 1.4, but the best 28mm are all f/2.8. Then there's hardly any benefit compared to my Tamron 17-50 f2.8.. although the contrast and saturation will perhaps be better, I'd choose for the AF (for stills) and zoom of the Tamron.

Also, do you know an old really wide-angle lens which is comparable to the Tokina 11-16? Preferably with a K-mount
I found a Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9 at a market stall in Spitalfields, London. I couldn't believe my luck when the guy let me have it for £25. I later looked on ebay and found the same lense going for £80 plus.

The only problem is, compared to my Vivitar close focus MC 28mm f/2.8, it is not great. It has a washed out look, and clearly lacks contrast and saturation.

In a pinch, still a good option if I need fast and wide indoors. For the money, not bad.

Regarding the Tokina, I think there is a general lack of vintage lenses in this range primarily because 24mm was pretty much wide enough before the days of the crop factor.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I picked up a Contax Yashica 28mm f2.8 on eBay for pretty cheap.

I'm looking for old wide angle lenses however, anything below 20mm. Any ideas? Low f number would be nice as well. ;)
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Yesterday I took the Helios.44M-4, 1:2/58mm into the garden for a test run. I had a tendency to overexpose. Our next two weddings will be outdoors. By then, the new Hoodman should have arrived. That will solve the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
old lenses-clouds.jpg   old lenses-leaves.jpg  

old lenses-sunburst.jpg   old lenses-valley.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD