old lenses - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Check out this site. SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide. It should answer your question in terms of what adapter your new lens needs. My guess is that you may be looking at the "pro" version of the adapters. I only use the "consumer grade" and they are just fine. I got them from the Fotodiox Ebay store.
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #92
Major Player

I noticed I bought the Vivitar Series 1 3.5 70-210 FD(!) and just read that Mark von Lanken mentioned the FD mount is the one mount that's hard to adapt. I guess I was too eager. I can return it if it's not the right one... Or is there a way to mount this lens anyway?
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #93
New Boot

I recently purchased an old Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 (KIRON) from eBay. A tad rarer than the 2.8 so I paid a little more, but the lens is in fantastic condition. I'm only fairly new to photography so my photo's will probably scream 'newby' but I am loving it for video and it's definitely my go-to lens at the moment.

Plus, I love how badass it looks on my 550D ;)
Attached Thumbnails
old lenses-550d-w-vivitar-28mm.jpg   old lenses-img_1046.jpg  

old lenses-img_1052.jpg   old lenses-img_1053.jpg  

Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
I noticed I bought the Vivitar Series 1 3.5 70-210 FD(!) and just read that Mark von Lanken mentioned the FD mount is the one mount that's hard to adapt. I guess I was too eager. I can return it if it's not the right one... Or is there a way to mount this lens anyway?
I read your info on the mount matters, Chris, and got my answer there. (From now on I will read first and then buy...;-)
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Sorry for not responding sooner. Had a two day shoot and am just now getting back to things. Yeah the Canon FD can be adapted but depending on the adapter you can have a softer picture, difficulty with infinity focus, or loss of light. I think Canon sold an FD>EOS adapter years ago with excellent optics but it was prohibitively expensive.

There's also the option of sending the lens to someone who could convert the lens to the EOS mount by putting the lens elements in a new barrell or something like that. For a rare FD or Minolta this might be worth it but for a pretty common lens like the Vivitar 70-210, it's best (and cheapest) to just get an Olympus or Nikon mount version.
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #96
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Watson View Post
Sorry for not responding sooner. Had a two day shoot and am just now getting back to things. Yeah the Canon FD can be adapted but depending on the adapter you can have a softer picture, difficulty with infinity focus, or loss of light. I think Canon sold an FD>EOS adapter years ago with excellent optics but it was prohibitively expensive.
The Canon FD>EOS adapter was only for a couple of the longest telephoto FD lenses which at the time were probably prohibitively expensive too.

It is a great shame that Canon declared "Year Zero" when they introduced the EF mount. Last year I bought for next to nothing a beautiful 35-105mm F3.5 telephoto that is absolutely pristine. Sadly with a cheapo FD>EOS adapter from eBay (which is all that is available) the picture is too soft. It's an enormous shame as otherwise the lens is perfect for video use with a lovely wide focus ring & big zoom ring
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Super Takumar 50mm

I shot this with an old Lens I got off ebay for $100. Super Takumar 50mm 1.4

Just a clip By Clayton Moore On ExposureRoom

Someone posted about this lens here

Organgrinder010: Manual Lenses on EOS Body Part 2 - Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #98
Major Player

Hi Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Joel,

It's good to hear from you. Have you heard what the street price will be?
Samyang's main goal is to make their lenses affordable, so I'd guess it will be in the $250-350 range:

From Interview with Mr. Lee - Director of Sales & Marekting Samyang Optics - Interview with Mr. Lee - Director of Sales & Marekting Samyang Optics - Lenstip.com

"LensTip.com: There are rumors, that the next lens released will be 35mm f/1.2 or 35 mm f/1.4. Could you tell us about it?
Mr. Lee: 35 mm f/1.4 will be released in the second half of 2010."
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #99
Major Player

Hi Brett,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Culp View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
My hope was to avoid paying $1k for the current Canon 135mm f2 lense by purchasing a vintage lens I can adapt. It is important that it be 135mm at f2 or faster.
This discussion of old lenses made me wonder if I could save by purchasing something old, but it sounds like vintage may not be the best option for a fast 135mm.
Other ideas are certainly welcome! Thanks!
It took patient and diligent scanning of the used lens websites and ebay but after two months I landed a Porst 135mm f1.8. I've used it at two events and its very sharp and has good contrast and color. Its really heavy, which is fine though because I have it on a tripod or monopod. After shipping from Greece the total was about $250. Very satisfied with the purchase. In the picture the lens is compared to the much smaller Pentax 135mm f2.5.
Attached Thumbnails
old lenses-135.jpg  
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Nice telephoto lens. I went to a yard sale a few weeks ago, the lady had a Nikon 35mm film camera with a 135mm tele lens and some other stuff. I got the whole deal for $20. One lens mount adapter later and I was in business.

CM
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Why can't I find those yard sales :)? The ones I go to just have old baby stuff and VHS tapes. Anyway, great find there! Just a little jealous :)
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Chris

Also look in your Friday Paper for Estate Sales for the weekend. The people that run those sales don't normally see much value in old film cameras. I've gotten some good odds and ends there, like table top tripods and other things.
Try being a pack rat in reverse.

CM
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #103
Regular Crew

1968 Mamiya Sekor 55 mm 1.4 screw mount lens came of the Mamiya Sekor 1000DTL camera. It is little bit heavy for 55mm lens.
I'm now selling Mamiya Sekor 1000DTL (body only).

Slavomir Valko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD