old lenses - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post

...My current obsession is the manual focus Nikon 200mm f2.0 which does have a big front element. I've set a low-ball price threshold for myself so when one comes along I'll jump on it. And currently en route from an ebay seller in Greece is a Porst 135mm f1.8 which is even more so shaped like a bullhorn.
Hi Joel,

Make sure you update the Classic Lens feature on your website when the Porst arrives. I want to see it. :-)
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #62
Major Player

Hi Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Watson View Post
Hey Joel,
Long time, no see. Didn't know you were into classic glass.
I wasn't until my first reception with the T2i's in May at which my f4 and even f2.8 zooms couldn't cut it. At that shoot I ended up using a 50mm f1.4 nikon almost exclusively that I'd had from a 35mm lens adapter. It just takes a bunch of grainy images to make you realize where to put your money.

Quote:
What lenses do you have so far?
See my signature, although that picture is a little of date. I'm selling my 70-200 f4L IS because I picked up a Tokina 80-200 f2.8 with Nikon mount and I have the Porst 135 f1.8 I mentioned. That has replaced the Pentax 135 f2.5 which I'll also be selling.

Quote:
I think since going manual focus, I've been considering the 5D for later down the road especially when it comes to wide angle shooting. There just aren't many affordable options when you get below the 28mm range.
Agreed.

Quote:
Do you find the 135 and above primes pretty useful on a crop sensor camera for weddings?
The mid-range telephoto primes are what I set up for the toasts. For example Saturday night the head table was in the middle of the large hall and the mic was wireless, so I couldn't get any of my off-camera lighting on the people speaking without being too noticeable. I was really wishing I had the 135mm already. I was at 1600 iso with the Nikon 180mm f2.8 but only 400 iso with the 85mm 1.4 with a wider shot. The difference in noise is noticeable to me. (Probably not to the client though.)
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post

...BTW, Mark is this fisheye enough for your taste on a cropped sensor?
I liek the fact that it doesn't look extreme fisheye at all, but rather a subtle fisheye effect. Mor of a wide angle effect.

I am mainly shooting DSLRs for corporate work right now. And use it for some prep, establishing shots, and detail shots. So I was thinking that the Zenitar on a slider would make a nice detail style shot lens.

What do yo think?
The Zenitar 16mm is just wide enough. With the crop factor it comes out to about 25mm. My HMC150 is about 28mm, so the Zenitar gets me close to what I like for a wide shot. You do see some fisheye effect but it's not too bad.

The Zenitar 16 is great for establishing shots as well as wide shots of general dancing, but at f/2.8, it's not a low light champ. The plus side is that it's much easier to keep things in focus.

Here's some sample footage from last weekends wedding.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #64
Major Player

Thanks for the info Kin.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #65
Major Player

[QUOTE=Chris Watson;1548289]... Can't wait to see your SDE shot with the Zenitar 16mm 2.8. I wish I had more time to play with it in Tulsa but from the little I shot with it, it seems like a pretty decent wide angle lens... QUOTE]

Hi Chris,

We dressed up the SDE and made it into a Highlight. All of the Prep and Ceremony shots are with the HMC150s. The reception is a mix of HMC150 and T2is.

Lenses used:
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (Thanks for the recommendation. I love this lens.)
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 28mm f/1.8
Zenitar-K 16mm f/2.8

As I remember the Zenitar shots are, the cake shot, the shot of the band (you can see the curve in the mic stand) and the shot of the Bride and Grandpa on the dance floor (which follows the low angle wide shot of the First Dance. You can see the shot is a little dark due to the f/2.8 limitations.)

I actually shot the reception decorartions with two T2i's, which was nice. One had the Zenitar and the other had the Nikon 50mm f/1.4. It was so much faster than constantly changing out lenses.

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #66
Trustee

Mark ,as usual great edit.
One question on the fisheye shots.

Did you use a fisheye on the HNC150, and the Zenitar on the T2i?

I ask because some fisheye shots looked much more distorted than some others.

BTW, I like the look of the Zenitar on a cropped sensor, as the cake shots and low angle first dance shots had a nice subtle look to them.

Really peaking my interest.

BTW, just got my Rokinon 85mm today, and liking what I am seeing.
But man that focus ring is really dampened. =)
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Hey Mark,

Great clip! Were those close up first dance shots from the Rokinon? They are really stunning. I like the Zenitar alot as well. It looks like it can be used in general shooting situations other than just architectural type shots. If I didn't have the Tamron 17-50, I'd snap up this lens in a heartbeat. Glad I could turn you on to the Rokinon. It's by far one of the best values in the 85mm range.
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Mark ,as usual great edit.
One question on the fisheye shots.

Did you use a fisheye on the HNC150, and the Zenitar on the T2i?

I ask because some fisheye shots looked much more distorted than some others.

BTW, I like the look of the Zenitar on a cropped sensor, as the cake shots and low angle first dance shots had a nice subtle look to them.

Really peaking my interest.

BTW, just got my Rokinon 85mm today, and liking what I am seeing.
But man that focus ring is really dampened. =)
Hi Michael,

Thanks. I had a fisheye on the HMC150 for the first two shots of the highlight and the interior church shots. At the reception I had a fisheye on the HMC150 for the follow shot as the couple entered the reception as well as the Glidecam shot during the first dance. The low angle during the first dance was the HMC150 with the stock lens.

If you see a distorted fisheye shot, it's the Century Optics on the HMC150. The Zenitar is very subtle, but then again, it's only 25mm with the crop factor. It shows up the most when you see a verticle line towards the edge of the shot, like in the band shot with the mic stand.

You are going to love the Rokinon for dark receptions. At $250, it's the most expensive lens I own.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Great clip! Were those close up first dance shots from the Rokinon? They are really stunning. I like the Zenitar alot as well. It looks like it can be used in general shooting situations other than just architectural type shots. If I didn't have the Tamron 17-50, I'd snap up this lens in a heartbeat. Glad I could turn you on to the Rokinon. It's by far one of the best values in the 85mm range.
Hi Chris,

Thanks. Yes, the closeup first dance shot is the Rokinon. They were all over the dance floor and with the shallow DoF at f/1.4, it was a challenge. I shot some really sweet mix and mingling shots with the Rokinon, just like you said, it practically makes light, but that's what happens when you have a lens in the f/1.2-1.4 range.

I know what you mean about the Rokinon being one of the best values in the 85mm range ($250). I had sticker shock when I saw other 85mm f/1.4s selling for $500-2000.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #70
Major Player

Hi Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Make sure you update the Classic Lens feature on your website when the Porst arrives. I want to see it. :-)
Will do. Was also just reading that Samyang (Rokinon, Falcon, Polar, Bower, Vivitar) will be announcing a 35mm f1.4 or even f1.2 for Canon in the 2nd half of 2010. They'll sell a lot of them if its true.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #71
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks. Yes, the closeup first dance shot is the Rokinon. They were all over the dance floor and with the shallow DoF at f/1.4, it was a challenge. I shot some really sweet mix and mingling shots with the Rokinon, just like you said, it practically makes light, but that's what happens when you have a lens in the f/1.2-1.4 range.
Mark I hear ya on keeping focus with such a narrow aperture, as it's razor thin.
What are you using to focus when shooting at 1.4?

Are you using LCD, loupe, or external monitor?

My setup is compact as I use Hoodman loupe and a compact no-rails follow focus on my camera, which is then mounted on DV Multi Rig. But I don't know if the multi rig will suffice with the 85mm and no IS onboard, and I am usually shooting with the 17-50mm VC Tamron for all purpose. And with no onboard IS there might be micro vibrations being passed onto the lens.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #72
Regular Crew

I just found MAMIYA SEKOR CS 50mm f1.7 (pentax mount)
Mamiya 50mm CS Lens f/1.7
Have you ever try it?
Slavomir Valko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #73
Trustee

Rokinon 85mm 1.4

BTW for anyone who might be interested, I just posted a low light test of the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 manual lens with my 550D. I did the test with the shutter speed at 60 and not 30, as I normally don't like to shoot video below 60 fps.

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing that. It's amazing how sensitive that lens really is and at only $250 it's a real steal.
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #75
Major Player

Many months ago, I read a few reviews, looked at a few videos, and resolved to buy the first one of these I could find on eBay.

It seems that once people get them, they don't sell them that often, because they are one of rarest lenses out there, which is telling. I wonder how many of them get snapped up by the DSLR video crowd. They are such a good match for DSLRs.

Looks like I might have to give in and buy a new one. Have to sell a couple of lenses first then.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD