Got some 7D questions (some confusion) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ying View Post
If you want shallower DOF, better low light, lower noise on giant screen and better color dynamic, then 5D is without a question the winner over 7D. But if you are filming mostly in good lighting conditions and don't show it on giant screens 5D and 7D probably don't look that much different except 5D having shallower DOF.
Lee,

Would you mind explaining how the 5D, with the same codec, the same 4:2:0 color structure, and a lower bit rate (40Mbps vs the 7D's 48Mbps) gives the 5D superior color dynamic?

And would you also define what "giant screen" means? I've watched 5D and 7D footage on my local 28 and 42 foot screens and frankly they both look essentially identical to me. I'll admit that I have not seen either on the IMAX screen next door, so maybe that is what you mean by giant.

I can certainly agree that the 5D is the superior camera when shooting without adequate light.
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Oh man,

Now after learning about this Magic lantern firmware I am back to looking at the 5D. It never ends;)
I watched a cool video explaining in detail this ne firmware (link below)

Thanks once again guys!

Magic lantern firmware Link: Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Last edited by Danny Winn; October 28th, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Lee,

Would you mind explaining how the 5D, with the same codec, the same 4:2:0 color structure, and a lower bit rate (40Mbps vs the 7D's 48Mbps) gives the 5D superior color dynamic?

And would you also define what "giant screen" means? I've watched 5D and 7D footage on my local 28 and 42 foot screens and frankly they both look essentially identical to me. I'll admit that I have not seen either on the IMAX screen next door, so maybe that is what you mean by giant.

I can certainly agree that the 5D is the superior camera when shooting without adequate light.
yes, they have the same 4:2:0 color structure, but the strength of the signals that go into producing the grayscales (which produce the colors) are quite different. With 2.5 times area per pixel on 5D as 7D, the signals from 5D will be 2.5 times that of 7D per pixel. Stronger signals mean higher signal to noise ratio and greater dynamic range.
Now, the difference may not be dramatic in area where signals from both cams are way above the noise floor, but most scenes will have some dark areas in the frame. You can crush the blacks to get rid of those dancing noise in the dark area, but you lose some grayscale, and thus color dynamic range. So at least in theory, 5D will be superior in those regards. I think most people will be able to appreciate the difference in low light scenes, such as those indoors, taken by the two cams.
When I said "giant screen" I meant viewing my own works on the big projection screen, and I can see those inadequacies from a crop sensor. I imagine the works we see in commercial theaters were filmed in controled lighting situations where the difference of the sensors is not easily noticeable.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Magic Lantern for Canon T2i (550D) |
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #20
Regular Crew

So if a 7D has a higher nitrate does it have a shorter recording time?
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Janus View Post
So if a 7D has a higher nitrate does it have a shorter recording time?
Has to. No getting around the math.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD