Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #91
Contributor

Hi Justin,

Things have been strangely quite here in the ML forum... (just read Trammell Hudson's "State of the Lantern:1 year anniversary, so now I know why (It's worth reading - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki))

I'm also just starting to work things out with my recently acquired 5DmkII. I have been contemplating reverting to the 2.0.4.

My reasons would have been mainly to get rid of the audio hiss in the 5DmkII with the current FW. ML made (makes) it possible to get good audio quality. So, for quality in-camera recording would be my main reason for reverting.

... Another nice feature I miss is the lens-focus-distance overlay.

But the revert to 2.0.4 for us Europeans means losing the option to shoot 25 fps. 30 fps is actually fine, except for the added post work involved in getting it conformed in order to combine it with other 25fps footage.

I've actually just decided to invest in a Zoom H4n to solve my audio worries. So losing the option for 25 fps, in exchange for the lens-focus-distance overlay doesn't seem like to worthwhile trade off.

It's too bad that Canon decided to fight the moding of thier new FW. I'm very happy with the camera, and I was looking forward to developments in the open source community in connect with it, but that doesn't look like it is going to be happening anymore for the 5DmkII. So if you want to play with ML you will have to revert. Make sure you download a copy of the 2.0.7 FW update and have it handy if you want to update quickly. I don't know if there are any issues with reverting though. I guess if there were, there would be posts about it here.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #92
Major Player

Daniel,

Thanks for the response. I also have a Zoom H4N as one of my audio recorders. Was it just the audio and frame rate that differentiated the ML FW from Canon's? If so, that's not so bad and I'll stick with the 2.0.7.

I'd be happy to pay some cash for the ML stuff. It seems invaluable work and they deserve it. Perhaps up to $US250. That might be an unpopular idea but I wonder how many productions these guys have already helped?

Cheers,

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM   #93
Inner Circle

My understanding is that the new frame rates (including 25p) was added in 2.0.3. 2.0.4 was released a day later to repair a problem with the Custom (C1, C2, C3) settings. 2.0.7 fixed a problem with aperture flicker on some lenses (especially the 100/2.8) when zooming.

To use ML, one would need to load 2.0.4 first. You won't lose 25p. You can get ML at the link at the bottom of the first post here:
0.1.8-alpha for 2.0.4 - Magic Lantern firmware development | Google Groups

The most valuable additions (IMHO) are 1) Lower noise audio settings, 2) live audio meters, 3) headphone monitor output, and 4) live zebras.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #94
Major Player

Jon,

Thanks. I don't think I'll have any flicker issues as I'm running Zeiss ZF manuals. And thanks for the useful info. Live zebras would be excellent and live audio levels are a must for non-Zoom shooting I guess.

Is going back to 2.0.4. painless? Does one update in the usual way? Does anyone have a source for 2.0.4? I can only find .7. Is that deliberate?

Cheers,

Jus.
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #95
Contributor

Hi Jon,

I just took a quick glance in the discussions on the ML google group site. There is a recent entry with the title "waiting anxiuosly for ML 1.0.8". From reading that entry (which hasn't been replied to yet) it sounds like there is no 25 fps when using FW 2.0.4.

Are you sure that reverting back to 2.0.4 won't result in losing 25 fps? If that is really the case, then I would consider reverting as well.

Unfortunately, (like Justin) I don't have the .dmg file for 2.0.4, since I only recently got my 5DmkII.

Hey Justin,

would you consider starting a new thread with your impressions about your Zeiss ZF manuals? :')

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #96
Major Player

Daniel,

I think that 2.0.4 includes the European frame rates. That's my understanding. But would anyone here be kind enough to send me the file?

Re. the ZFs - I have a job at the end of the month where I will get to use them. I could write up something on my return. I have the 18, 28, 50 Makro, 85 and 100mm Makro. I'd really like to get a 21 and 35mm from them but they'll have to wait. Handling and casual use is very reassuring so far. I have used the 50mm Makro with my EX3 (using a Letus Ultimate and also an SG Blade) filming interviews with excellent results.

Jus.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #97
Inner Circle

2.0.4 definitely supports 24, 25, and 29.97p. Magic Lantern does not affect frame rates.

You will definitely not have aperture flicker problems with a ZF lens.

I've never upgraded to 2.0.7, so I haven't downgraded to 2.0.4. I assume that the process is the same as for any other firmware update. I don't have a link to 2.0.4.

Justin, With the 28/2, 50/2, and 100/2, you have three of the most transparent, flexible lenses out there. I have access to the ZE 21/2.8, 35/2, and 85/1.4. The 21/2.8 is especially great for landscape photography and interesting architectural perspectives.

On the other hand, the 21/2.8 is a bit of an odd duck for video. It's not crazy wide, but it's not as neutral as a 28mm view.

A wider lens, like a fisheye, 16-35 or 18mm lens is very obviously wide to the audience. People "get" that it's used for effect. A normal wide can be used without the audience giving the view a second thought.

The 21mm view presents three challenges: 1) when you pan, the corners "suck in", which draws the eye away from the subject, 2) when people walk in from the near sides of the frame, their legs get stretched when they are near the corners, and 3) when standing on level ground, and focusing on somebody, say, 15 feet away, if the aperture is open, the foreground can look soft, while the rest of the frame is in focus. This third case is a situation where shallow DOF does not look attractive.

On the other hand, when you want a nice wide establishing shot, want to force perspective with a static shot, or need to "get it all in", the 21/2.8 can be really cool. And for landscape photos, it's as good as it gets.

But, back on topic, does anybody have a link to 2.0.4?
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #98
Major Player

Hi Jon.

Jon,

Thanks for the confirmations. Interesting notes you make about the 21mm. I'd like to see that foreground soft focus effect. For me, that would have limited applications (perhaps for non-factual content). The 18mm would be for some establishing shots of the Ethiopian Highlands where were going. Was spectacular last year. Hope to capture it better this year.

I'm also investigating the world of M42 lenses, assuming they'll clear the 5D mirror.

Anyone with the 2.0.4 still in their download folder they could forward to me?

Jus.

Last edited by Justin Benn; August 4th, 2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Just because.
Old August 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #99
Major Player

Here you go bro. I happen to have it on my desktop

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #100
Contributor

Thanks Thanh!

nice.

Cheers,

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #101
Major Player

Cheers Thanh!

Jus.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #102
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
2.0.7 fixed a problem with aperture flicker on some lenses (especially the 100/2.8) when zooming.
I do have aperture problems on my 100/2.8 when focusing, but I thought it was the lens itself since I had it for repairs. I didn't know it was a matter of FW. I currently have 2.0.4. Thanks a lot for the info.

Petre Nicolescu
Petre Nicolescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #103
Regular Crew

which Magic lantern with which 5D firmware januari2011?

I have tried everything to find info on this but I only find old threads. After hours and hours of trying to find an answer I decided to post my question here.
So my question is: What Canon firmware with which Magic Lantern version should I use on my Canon 5D?
Is there anything I should be aware of?
I haven't tried Magic Lantern yet on my 5D.

I hope someone can reveal this for me.
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #104
Contributor

Hi Jane,

The threads are all old because there hasn't been an update to Magic Lantern for a very long time. I would assume that it will not be developed any further.

If you want to use ML 0.1.6 you will have to revert back to Canon FW 2.0.4., then follow the instructions for using ML which you should be able to find on the Wiki site or Google Groups site.

This should work. I stopped using ML since the newest Canon FW. For me the most important functions of ML have been adopted by Canon. The one big problem (that ML seems to fix) is the audio hiss produced by the Canon FW when recording sound and the lack of audio level indication while shooting.

I hope that this helps you.

Cheers,

DK

Jon Fairhurst in a previous thread wrote:
My understanding is that the new frame rates (including 25p) was added in 2.0.3. 2.0.4 was released a day later to repair a problem with the Custom (C1, C2, C3) settings. 2.0.7 fixed a problem with aperture flicker on some lenses (especially the 100/2.8) when zooming.

To use ML, one would need to load 2.0.4 first. You won't lose 25p. You can get ML at the link at the bottom of the first post here:
0.1.8-alpha for 2.0.4 - Magic Lantern firmware development | Google Groups

The most valuable additions (IMHO) are 1) Lower noise audio settings, 2) live audio meters, 3) headphone monitor output, and 4) live zebras.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #105
Major Player

Not exactly accurate Daniel,

In November Tramm did release a new Magic Lantern version for the current 2.08 version of the 5D. (Link to thread below).

The biggest feature for me is the ability to turn the A/V jack into a headphone jack, that's huge and I wish Canon would design their own FW to give us this option.

Here's the thread about the newest ML version.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...c-lantern.html
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD