Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #106
Regular Crew

ML confusion

Hi guys

On the ML site it specifies that for monitoring, the cam 'Only outputs 480p while recording (quicktime file is still 1080p)' - But, I'm sure i saw somewhere that ML had resolved this so that the cam was able to output 1080i whilst recording?? What's the sketch? (n.b no speculation please, really need a concrete answer on this)

Much love.
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #107
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Not exactly accurate Daniel,

In November Tramm did release a new Magic Lantern version for the current 2.08 version of the 5D. (Link to thread below).

The biggest feature for me is the ability to turn the A/V jack into a headphone jack, that's huge and I wish Canon would design their own FW to give us this option.

Here's the thread about the newest ML version.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...c-lantern.html
Hey Danny,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to try out the new version as soon as possible!

Cheers

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Hi John,

The solid answer is NO it does not support 1080 over HDMI while in record at this time.

You are correct in that a long time ago Tram posted a video showing some features he was working on - and 1080i over HDMI was one of them but in the video there were visible problems meaning it was unusable so I guess this hasn't been something he was able to overcome.

At this stage I guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope that the 5dmk3 will have this along with 60p. Either that or some miracle aligning of the planets and Nikon releasing a D800 / 5dmk2 killer (I know, I laughed as I typed that)
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #109
Inner Circle

For the moment, most of the development with Magic Lantern has been going on in the Canon 550/T2i realm. The new versions of Magic Lantern for that camera sport some great new features, including false colors like you would have on a pro monitor, peaking for focus aids, enhanced zebras, bit rate control, movie restart (automatic restarting of the camera, though still with a 1 second or so gap), extended multistep ISO, and a fantastic 1 button white balance. Works seems almost complete to, in dealing with the change of resolution problems on monitors that occurs when recording is started. They seem to be getting close to perfect change over for zebras and peaking overlays to allow them to be used during recording.

In his recent interview, Trammel Hudson indicates that the emphasis will be to port this to the the 5D and to the 60D, where work is currently alreadh being done.

Antony Newman is currently working on a ML version for the Canon 5D that has these newer features folded in already. It is available in an known as AJ 4.5. I have been testing it, and really find the new menu structure interesting. He also has a thing called Magic Circles that you can cycle through as a focusing aid. Essentially, a portion of the screen is magnified almost like a picture within a picture to aid in manual focusing.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Im 40 minutes into that interview - have never seen or heard Trammell before but what an amazing individual. Sadly he did pretty much confirm that 1080 out on the 5D is not going to happen. Still if they can bring all the other wonders from the 550 ML to the 5D that would be welcome.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
Hi John,

The solid answer is NO it does not support 1080 over HDMI while in record at this time.

You are correct in that a long time ago Tram posted a video showing some features he was working on - and 1080i over HDMI was one of them but in the video there were visible problems meaning it was unusable so I guess this hasn't been something he was able to overcome.

At this stage I guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope that the 5dmk3 will have this along with 60p. Either that or some miracle aligning of the planets and Nikon releasing a D800 / 5dmk2 killer (I know, I laughed as I typed that)
Hi Paul, thanks for this. SUCH a shame - I feel like this really is a missing part of the DSLR puzzle.I currently have a 550, and want to upgrade to 5D but this is making the decision harder. I so want a full frame sensor, and all else that ML offers is so great, but the temptation to get a 7d JUST FOR THE 1080 OUTPUT is big. Shouldn't complain too much though, ML is a wonderful, innovative piece of work. As is Canons hardware. But.....
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Re: Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release

I just updated to the new Canon firmware 2.0.9. Now ML won't load onto my 5D. Is there a work around? Or am I stuck. I miss the audio meters while filming.

-Sterling
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #113
Inner Circle

I have successfully retrograded from 2.08 to 2.04 in order to run A J Newmans version of Magic Lantern that includes some significant upgrades to Magic Lantern. Unless Canon has suddenly changed things, the retrograde should work from 2.09 to 2.08.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #114
Inner Circle

double post, sorry
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I have successfully retrograded from 2.08 to 2.04
Chris,

Any idea where I can get the 2.04 firmware? Canon does keep legacy firmware on their site.

Cheers,

Sterling
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #116
Inner Circle

Check Out Moira O'briens site here:

Cork Photographer - Moira O'Brien Photography
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I have successfully retrograded from 2.08 to 2.04 in order to run A J Newmans version of Magic Lantern that includes some significant upgrades to Magic Lantern. Unless Canon has suddenly changed things, the retrograde should work from 2.09 to 2.08.
Thanks Chris. I'll see if I can downgrade to 2.04
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #118
Inner Circle

I am not sure if you are aware of AJ Newman's version, but it is quite different from Trammel Hudson's last release in November of last year.

Latest version is AJ 5.7. It is considered test version, and has things like false colors, and significant new focusing aids.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM   #119
Regular Crew

Chris,

The downgrade worked, and I have AJ's firmware installed.

Thanks for your help.

I was hired to do a three camera interview next week. The extra cameras arrive tomorrow. I have to think of something to film over the weekend. Would be a shame to waste the opportunity.

Cheers,

Sterling
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM   #120
New Boot

AJ Newman version link

Can anyone provide a link to this version and/or anymore detail as to what it includes/changes?

Thanks
Andrew Drefs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD