Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 12th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #346
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

"in that thread everyone was talking about bad head alignment...
could that be the culprit for my missing sound and timecode as well?"

This is purely speculative, but yes it very well could be. The tolerances for laying bits onto tape are bogglingly tight.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #347
Regular Crew

ken, i think you are probably right.
i was thinking about it last night, and i bet it's the head alignment being off, and the intermittency is probably tied to whether or not the tape gets threaded up just the right way when i load it.

i shot some video last night on a tape that had previously had no sound, but last night the sound was there and everything was fine. the only variable was that i had taken the tape out and put it back in...

so - how do i go about contacting a canon service center to get the heads aligned? and what's it going to cost me roughly?

-martino
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #348
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Use Canon's GL1 Service Locator page to find out where to get the camera repaired.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #349
Regular Crew

cool. thanks, ken
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #350
Tourist

GL1 Capture Problems

I've been working with my GL1 for about 3 years now.

Recently I've tried to capture footage off of some tapes (freshly shot video). When I view the footage using the DV controls in either Adobe Premiere 6 or Sony Vegas 4, it's fine. However, when I hit capture (either batch or manual) the video will capture for approximately 2 seconds and then block / pixelate in both black and white and then a spectrum of colors (think TV static noise, except more blocky; this will weave in and out of the video occaisionally).

I was thinking about getting a video-head cleaner, but viewing tapes through the LCD and analog composite out to TV works fine. PLAYING through the IEEE 1394 port works fine as I've already mentioned. CAPTURE is what gives me issues.

I've already tried this on two different computers and with two different IEEE 1394 cables.

Anyone had experience with something like this?
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #351
Tourist

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like (the blocked pixels keep moving)

http://adev.freeunixhost.com/camerror.JPG
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #352
Tourist

Is there any updated pricing info on having your LCD display go out in normal vie mode? I just had this happen and am somewhat cheesed...?
Seth Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #353
Major Player

GL1 or my optura 300! lots of questions.

well i have recently really gotten into videographing. I film for my friends DVD, and really enjoy filming.

About a month or 2 ago i purchased my first nice camera, ( used to have a cheap-o sony camera that was about 500$ and given to me.)

I got the optura 300 with the canon wide angle and biggest battery. Now i love this camera and takes ncie film and not to metion not bad quatlity digital pictures. But when i watch my footage in comparison to my friend ( owner of the dvd) Gl-1, i hate my camera. My night shots are horrible and i just feel like my film sucks.

So now i have been thinking a lot about getting a gl-1, for price reasons. i also hear a lot about people liking the gl-1 more then the new gl-2.?

So i have come to this.... if i can sell my optura 300 with all i have for it ( about 6 hours of usage time) for a good price im going to get a gl-1.

Now the questions:
1. is it worth it? to buy a 3 year old camera that is discountinued?
2. is a bigger camera what i want after getting used my small 300?
3. does canon or anyone still make parts for the gl-1? like extra batterys, wide angles lenses, filters, lights etc?
* will gl-2 parts fit the gl-1?
4. if my gl-1 happens to break some how, will canon fix it? will it be expenisve?

i know i have more, but the more info i can get the better! Please help me out guys! Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #354
Major Player

bump
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #355
Regular Crew

Patrick-

First off, I know nothing about the canon optura you already own. I did buy a used gl1 to use in addition to the sony pd150 that I already had. I now use the gl1 more than the pd150, mainly because of its big zoom (20x). I film wildlife where a big zoom is definitely needed. Before I bought the sony, all I read about was how much better shooting in dvcam (pd150) was over minidv (gl1). I really can't tell the difference in the footage between the two cameras. The only thing that the gl1 is lacking is high-quality audio. That can be easily fixed by getting a good shotgun mic and there are a lot of options to setting up the gl1 for wireless mics. If I could do it over again, I would have bought 3 used gl1's for the price of one new pd150. The audio upgrades are not that expensive (I'm guessing no more than $500). One video quality area that the gl1 isn't as impressive as the pd150 is in low-light situations. This is my opinion for whatever it's worth. Oh, from what I've read there wasn't a lot of upgrades from the gl1 to the gl2.

One more thing. You can still get all the accessories you need for the gl1 (batteries, lenses, etc.).
Gale Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #356
Major Player

thanks a bunch!!!! now only if i can get my hands on a super mint gl-1 !! where did u get yours ?
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #357
Regular Crew

I got mine off of eBay, but you have to be real careful. I emailed the guy and told him I wanted to speak with him on the phone before I proceded with the transaction. There are quite a few of them listed in the $1,000 to $1,200 range.
Gale Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #358
Major Player

Quick question! help price on gl1

OK, a buddy of mine has a used GL-1 for sale. He said 1150$ with everything it came with. box, charger, cords, etc.

the camera was highly used, but never had a problem with it.

is this a reasonable price? or should it be lower?

what should i look @ to determine if its worth buying?

if he had insuranc eon it, will it still be with the camera incase i breaks?

thanks!
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #359
Regular Crew

Never posted a reply to this, but here is the resolution:

Sent my camera into Canon for repair. Got it back 2 months later. Total cost: $400.

Expensive, but better than having to buy another camera!

Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #360
Tourist

Interlacing problems with GL1

Do people notice a slightly annoying amount of interlacing? Maybe it is because I shoot a lot of action. It is usually the worst during lower light conditions, but a little bit of it is present all of the time.
--Carleton
Carleton Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders