Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:15 AM   #331
Wrangler

Connecting an external mic disconnects the internal mic. It is a feature of the microphone stereo mini jack.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #332
New Boot

getting good audio on gl1

Hi,

I've heard a lot about how the gl2 has manual audio meters and I was wondering if there were accessories that I could buy for my gl1 to get similar control over the audio. I am interested in videoing quite a few interviews this summer using a wireless mic.

Thanks
Dan Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #333
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A device like the Beachtek DXA-4P will provide you will channel-level control as well as XLR audio connections (which you'll probably need for most wireless receivers).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #334
Wrangler

A couple companies (SignVideo for one) offer VU ,meters that will provide some indication. They connect to an audio output jack. With a bit of skill you can use them to tell when the GL1 goes into limiting/gain eduction mode.

The main three distributors of XLR adapters with level controls are Beachtek, Studio 1, and SignVideo.

They often run ads. in Videomaker, etc.
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #335
Tourist

GL1 connection to Pinnacle

I've been trying to get my Studio 9 AV/DV setup to recognize my GL1. I thought it was the computer setup so I've been working with Pinnacle support. Yesterday I gave my camera to a friend who has a setup for his two Sony cameras and a DVD record deck with IEEE 1394. They couldn't find my camera. This morning, I called Canon and was told that any tapes recorded in LP cause the camera to not be recognized. On page 22 of the manual is a box that says the tapes can't be dubbed if recorded in LP. That's the only clue to the whole mess. Anybody know of a way to get all my kids' high school memories onto DVD from these LP tapes? Direct record to VCR doesn't work very well.
Greg Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #336

Off-hand, buy, borrow or rent a 2nd miniDV camera and transfer the LP footage to that camera's tape (recording in SP mode) via Firewire. The camera does not have to be a top-line unit but simply capable of recording from an external device.

Prospectively, as you've painfully learned, never use LP mode on any camera no matter how compelling you believe the reason. It's a well-worn topic here and you have a bit of company in your distress.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #337
Tourist

Is there a way to output via Firewire to another camera or does it require some other mode? The manual isn't particularly helpful. The reason I recorded in LP in the first place was that all the events were more than an hour by ten or fifteen minutes. I thought I'd done a good thing. Guess not.
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #338

See "Dubbing to/from a Tape..." around p.99 of your manual. (The DV data stream is always sent to the Firewire port during playback.)

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:12 AM   #339
Tourist

Well, setting the camera to SP and 12-bit audio and recording a fresh tape gave me the same results. Neither computer recognizes the camera no matter how I attach it. I tried both 1394 drivers and used RegClean. DV IN flashes in a repeatable code but it doesn't show up in device manager. Canon helpline says the port is bad and send it in for repair. Sound right?
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM   #340
Regular Crew

your issue has nothing to do with tapes. in fact, connecting the GL1 to your computer and then to studio 9 while in 'CAMERA' will work and you could 'capture' live video being sent out the firewire port. I'd strongly suspect the port, since you've tried the alternate computer test and nothing was detected there. Of course, this assumes you tried a different firewire cable also.
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #341
Regular Crew

Bad artifact problems- GL1

Hi, did a short search for this but could not find any answers.

I have an older GL1 that has been great for me throughout the years. However, it has started giving me some artifact problems that can be best seen here in this short clip:

http://www.tedandnicki.com/gl1/camera_gl1.mov

This particular problem occurred on a tape that had been used once before, however, I took a brand new tape and tried recording on that, only to encounter the same problem. What is strange is that after a while of recording on the used tape (maybe after 15 minutes), everything looked fine and the video I recorded was useable.

I tried cleaning the GL1 with a head cleaning tape and that did not do anything to remedy the problem.

Is this a problem with the heads? Anyone else familiar with this?

Thanks,
Ted
Ted Banucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #342
Trustee

Ted,

This issue has been discussed before. For me it took a head alignment at Cannon to fix the problem. The GL-1 heads are somewhat notorious for getting out of alignment. Once fixed keep in mind that some of you old tapes may not replay properly if the heads were slightly out of alignment but playable when originally recorded. I lost playback capability on 25 tapes because of this.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #343
Trustee

I'm going to have to agree with mark on this....the fact that the artifacts are aligned with the left edge is intriguing...I've not seen this before...and it would make some sense if we we're talking analog video...but perhaps alignment will cause this in digital as well.

Try another cleaning or two...and only use new tapes...if it doesn't straighten out...I think its time for a service call...not bad for a camera of this age.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #344
Regular Crew

my gl-1 does the exact same thing, on the left edge of the video.
and it's totally intermittent.
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #345
Regular Crew

strange problems with my GL1...

hi everyone.

i did a search on this, but didn't find anything so here goes...

my GL1 is doing something really strange. it will randomly decide not to record any sound on the tape at all while i am shooting video. sometimes a single tape i've shot will have a clip with no sound, right in the middle of other clips that are fine. it seems to be completely random and intermittent.

the camera has been doing this for a while, but this weekend i had my first opportunity to capture some video onto a computer, and i learned something more about this.

the clips that don't have sound can't be captured at all. the computer had no idea what to do with them. any clip with sound could be captured easily, but the clips without sound could not.
i'm guessing there's some sort of timecode missing as well as the sound...?

the camera also produces the same type of visual artifacts as someone posted about recently, on the left of the video image. it does this completely intermittently as well.
in that thread everyone was talking about bad head alignment...
could that be the culprit for my missing sound and timecode as well?

any ideas?

-martino
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders