Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:15 PM   #181
Obstreperous Rex

Lots of folks really love the Canon WD-58, less than $200.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2002, 05:51 AM   #182
Wrangler

The canon WD58 is a good choice, provids 0.7x coverage, and is good value for the money. The Century Precision Optics offers several adapters/converters that are excellent products and give wider options, but cost a good bit more. Kenko and Sony offer adapters that should work too - I've not read much about them though.

Raynox offers some cheap clip on adapters, around $100 or less. But reports are that the quality is disappointing and they may tend to fall off. Probably best to avoid them if image quality is important to you.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM   #183
ChorizoSmells

We are using a Kenko wide angle adapter on the Gl-1 in a doc we are making. The gl-1 has a 58mm lens thread and the Kenko has a 52mm thread so we have to use a step up adapter. Now we can't go fully wide since the image will vignette at the corners. I don't know if Kenko makes a 58mm wide angles but I recommend paying more for a good quality lens that will not need a step up filter adapter.

The canon WD-58 sounds good, I'm assuming the 58 in the name means it has a 58mm thread. The cameraman using the gl-1 now has to always check the zoom and make sure he doesn't zoom all the way out, too much hassle just to save a few buck
Old June 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM   #184
ChorizoSmells

This could make a nice new thread, people's expericences in film/video school. People could talk about which are worthwhile and which are BS. Seems like there are tons of schools offering video degrees. I know several people here in Japan who went to those video schools(in Japan). Don't know how much they cost but they are expensive. These kids have all negative experiences from the schools.

Glad to hear you will graduate soon, I'm sure you will learn more once you are your own and away from that school.
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM   #185
Regular Crew

Beware of BwayPhoto.Com

>>http://www.bwayphoto.com/

Also they are charging allot for shipping the GL-1 to recupe the low cost.. ask them for the shipping and handeling..
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #186
Regular Crew

I would not advise anyone to purchase from this group. If you do end up actually getting a product after the intence over prices sales pitch. It will most likely be a grey market item. You can check these guys out and see their reviews of previous clients is about the same in every case. Poor service, item not in at that price, over priced add ons, ordered and never got item, ect.

What is it with Brooklyn, NY. I know that all businesses in this area are not bad. Be aware there are a lot of scam businesses out of this area. My advice, check the reviews b/4 you purchase from any company. Or as Chris always says, go with the sponsors of this site. You will find that most of the ligit businesses prices are close to the same as there reviews are. The super low prices are usually a scam so be smart when ordering.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #187
Wrangler

The Kenko FRW-065Pro has 58mm thread mount, is 0.65x. Street price should be about the same as the WD58.
Old June 6th, 2002, 06:29 PM   #188
ChorizoSmells

I think they bought the kenko at the last minute and took whatever they had in stock and used the adapter ring to make it fit the GL-1.

It's good arenhansen is taking the time to research the products out there and get one that is right for the camera.

Thanks for the info on the kenko, I don't know what model number the one we are using is but it is definetely not the right one for the GL-1, he should have bought the FRW-065 Pro.
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #189
Tourist

GL1 or TRV900

Hey, my name is Brandon and im planning on starting school at North Carolina State University next fall and I'm going into media communications and going to minor in film. I have been the president of my high schools film club this past year and we filmed a full length movie we showed to a crowd of 400+ one night at school. A producer at a local news station said it was the best student film he had ever seen. I'm looking to do a lot of filming on Mini DV and I am mainly interested in getting the best cinematic video quality. Im really only interested in filming movies. Im really debating between the Sony TRV900 and Canon GL1. I know they are both exceptional camcorders, but I was just wondering which one would be best for me considering what I want to use it for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brandon
Mouse7316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #190
Wrangler

Both can do good. Which does the school's film department rcommend? Check what they are using.
Old June 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM   #191
Doconomus

Brandon:

At State we're using Canon GL1's and Sony VX2000's for the most part. There still are some AG-456's SVHS stuff too, if you can believe that. I had to shoot a project with one of those 456 puppies last semester. Its a good camera. Footage came out good considering the restraints I was under.

I've been pushing them to buy more miniDV cameras, but we're under a budget crisis right now. Funding has been cut. Our department, like all of the others has been hit hard. Talked to the department head about this stuff and all we can do is shrug our shoulders. Theres not much I can do as a student. Maybe in a couple of years when you're able to get in the production classes things will change.

Basically though, I've recieved a beating because I'm an XL1 fan! Those guys in the department don't care much for Canon (but they like the GL1, go figure). They're really big into Sony products. Oh well. I just shrug and laugh with them about it. Of course, the instructors and techs do more documentary shooting and I'm into narratives . . . its all personal choice. They also laugh and shake their heads when they hear I use Premiere . . . oh well.

This post was to basically answer the good question from Mr. Palomaki. Of course I'm giving you my interpretation of the department recommends.

I still think its cool to find someone going to NCSU on this board, got your email too by the way. I plan on being in Ashville next weekend - June 21st. We can shoot the bull for half an hour or so if you've got time to spare while I'm up there.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 11:06 AM   #192
Trustee

I use the canon adaptor WD-58. It allows you the full zoom range and most of the time looks just as sharp as the original lens.(Occasionally you may have to give the autofocus a little help.) It is a little heavy...but that can be plus if you've got a 945 battery on the back, as it helps even out the balance.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 05:56 AM   #193
StreetShot

GL-1 connect to an iMac...

Greetings....

I'm about to step into the DV world with a GL-1 and wondered what cable I need to connect the GL-1 to my iMac...it has a firewire port so some firewire cable right? Do I need a special data card installed on the iMac or is this already inside...I have FCP 2.0 ready to go. Any help around this would be great, thanks to all, its a very informative forum.

Namaste,

Michael Hintlian
Old June 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM   #194
Wrangler

You'll need a firewire cable (6 pin [on the iMac] to 4 pin [on the camera], I believe) and that's it. Fire up the camera, and then fire up FCP2 and you should be good to go.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM   #195
"SuperSparks"

Hi Michael
A good ref. would be any of these books

The complete idiot's guide to iMovie 2
iMovie 2 fast & easy
making iMovies
The little iMovie book

Have fun and let us know how your doing

Jim

Hump? What Hump?
Jim Sauza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders