Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 24th, 2002, 12:22 PM   #46
Regular Crew

XL1S saves three presets plus manual incand. and DayLight settings.

Can you check to see if your internal battery is OK? I would have thought the GL1 saves the setting until the next resetting of the WB. But??
Old January 24th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #47
Wrangler

Believe that the GL1 saves setting if you go into standby/lock, preview with REC Search, but not if you turn off thw power. Switching from Camera to VCR mode does turn off the power briefly.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2002, 08:48 PM   #48
Regular Crew

2X for GL1

I use the Century Optics 2X and give it very high marks. I bought a cheaper tele-converter for an earlier cam (VX-1000) and the results were poor. In my case I got what I paid for . . . both times!
Old January 25th, 2002, 11:32 PM   #49
bill_kaiser

I shot wolves at 1.5 miles (2.4k) with GL1

Well, I wound up buying a Sony 1.7X High Grade Teleconverter. It seems to be an excellent lens. Just a thought, since it is rated at 1.7X for Sony which has 1/3" CCD's and my Canon has a smaller 1/4" CCD's, I wonder how much more magnification I get using it on my Canon over the Sony. It's probably closer to 2X on my Canon because of the smaller CCD.

Having said that, I received my lens on Friday just before I went to Yellowstone National Park. I caught up with a group of wolf watchers from the Yellowstone Institute. The wolves were on the other side of a valley (Hellroaring overlook)and not visible with the naked eye and barely visible with 20X binoculars. I put on the adapter which gave me 34X magnification, but the wolves were still to small and I couldn't tell them from the sage brush in the LCD. I switched to 40X digital zoom which gave me 64X total magnification. The wolves were still very small in the view finder, but I could see them gather in the center. Then they ran out of view. I found out later that they were four juvenile wolves that were roughing up the alpha male and the behavior could possibly be the formation of a new pack. When I got home and played it back on my big screen TV I could distictly see each wolf and the alpha male was not being "roughed up", but was being severly punished! When he ran out of frame, he was running for his life. Was the video broadcast quality? No, definitely too small and lacking detail, but it did record wolf behavior so anyone could interpret it for him/herself.Also, I checked the distance on a topo map and 1.5 miles(2.4k)is the minimum distance I filmed from. The air was very clear needless to say.

I also shot Trumpeter Swans from about 150 ft. (45m)The swans were a little less than 1/2 frame and you could see details in their feathers as well as a subtle golden color on their upper necks.

I was filming a coyote beside the road from about 25 ft. (7.6m). I was trying for an "Anima Mundi" look (just the eyes, actually could do that too.) when he whirled around and pounced on a ground squirrel. So now I have extreme closeup of him crunching up the ground squirrel and swallowing him whole.

As you can tell, I am very pleased with the teleconverter and I can't wait to go out again.
Old January 26th, 2002, 12:01 AM   #50
bill_kaiser

White balance seems to stay for me.

When I turn the camera off and on again, I cycle through the "Select" button and when it gets to the manual white balance graphic, it appears to have retained the last setting I used.
Old January 26th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #51
Mark Summers

Live Web Cast Using Canon GL1

I am looking for information (hardware and software) on how to use a Canon GL1 as a live web cam. Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.
Old January 26th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #52
Wrangler

Beleive the adapter is still 1.7x on the GL1 as it is a multiplier applied to the basic camcorder lens.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #53
bill_kaiser

I don't know of a way to get video live through firewire, but if you use the RCA analog video out to a video capture card like an ATI All-In-Wonder, it should be possible.
Old January 26th, 2002, 02:52 PM   #54

Gl1s

I have heard from a dealer today that Canon is coming out with an 's' model version of the GL1 - does anyone know how the camera is being improved?
Old January 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM   #55
Sammi Funk

16:9 Mode

Does anyone have any comments about shooting with the built in 16:9 mode or using an anamorphic lens?
Old January 29th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #56
Obstreperous Rex

You'll get better overall quality using the anamorphic adapter, I believe. It's a bit expensive. Plus if you're going to view this video on a normal 4x3 monitor, you'll still have to add a letterbox matte in post-production.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 01:33 PM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

Can you say exactly who you heard this from? Any speculation about new features will be just that -- speculation -- until such a camera actually becomes a reality (i.e., available to the public).

Old January 29th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #58

Yes the dealer at BestBuyDV - he said they were going to announce it this week at the Las Vegas tradeshow. He said Canon was offering a discount on the GL1 now that the 's' version is coming out.
Old January 29th, 2002, 03:23 PM   #59
Obstreperous Rex

Well, there is no DV-oriented trade show in Las Vegas this week. There's a big one called NAB in April, and if there were to be any sort of new product announcement, it would most likely happen at that show, at that time. And... I have a *feeling* that any successor to the GL1 most likely will not be called the GL1S.

Again, in my opinion it may be fun but ultimately rather pointless to speculate on new camera features until such a thing is announced and made available, which ain't happening yet. Hope this helps,

Old January 29th, 2002, 05:55 PM   #60
Wrangler

No press releases from Canon on a Gl1 successor so far. If there is a significant rebate on the GL1 (and not matching rebates on other models) then look for an announcement shortly after the end of the rebate period.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders