Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 7th, 2002, 02:19 AM   #121
Orca8888

Wireless Sennheiser - where to put it?

Hey Guys!

I just plunked down some money and bought a wireless Sennheiser lavalier mic and receiver to do a wedding. I can put the transmitter on the groom no problem, but I am worried about where the hell to put the receiver box. The GL1 is so compact there's really nowhere to attach the durn receiver box. Have any of you done this before and if you have, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old April 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM   #122
Novadigit

Beachtek or Studio 1 xlr pro

I want to have good sound on my newly ordered dv camera
the Canon XM1 {in europe} ,so after reading many posts regarding ext mics, which is the best adapter with this camera,
the Beachtek xlr adapter or the Studio 1 xlr pro.mic will be hand held.
Old April 7th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #123
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Either

I have a Beachtek and have had no trouble with it. Some have reported that their Beachtek produces a low-frequency hum. Nobody that I've seen has reported trouble with the Studio One, not to say that it's perfect.

Honestly, I think either will be fine.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #124
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There's no pretty, or even convenient, way to mount a wireless receiver on the GL1. Azden has one that mounts to the camera's shoe (on the handle). Clever, but irrelevelant for your purposes.

Depending on the length of the receiver's cable you may be able to mount it to your belt or drop it in your pocket. More likely you'll have to Velcro-mount it to either the camera's handle or the lcd door for handheld shooting.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 03:57 PM   #125
Major Player

Likewise, I have used my Beachtek for several years with the XL-1 and the Sony TRV900 with no problems. In fact, I prefer it to the MA-100 since it gives you separate pots for mic and line level inputs plus you can toggle between mono and stereo. I can't speak for the Studio One since I have not used it.

Hum? What hum?
Old April 8th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #126
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Rebate

So I see that the GL-1 now has a $250 rebate. What was it before, I forgot?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2002, 09:38 AM   #127
Major Player

According to this (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1090) thread, $100.

The increase is interesting and would surely add fuel to the argument that they are replacing it with another model.

Hmmm.....
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #128
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Damn. Wish I could have waited just a bit longer. I bought my GL-1 early March because I needed to shoot some footage around late March. Could have saved some money or waited for a better model.

What's the best way to sell a GL-1? Is there a way to trade that in?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2002, 06:18 PM   #129
bill_kaiser

Rebate

Don't forget, Canon's rebates look like junk mail when you get them. They come in an envelope labeled "Advertising Bureau" or something like that. It's very easy to toss them in the garbage with the rest of the junk mail you tend to get.

I bought my camera in December and just got it last week.
Old April 14th, 2002, 07:34 AM   #130
Wrangler

Many dealers will do trade-ins; e.g., B&H, but you may do better selling it yourself. You effectively split the dealers profit with the new buyer.

With almost all technology products (except Windows - the power of monopoly) prices go down over time. Don't buy until you need it, and be prepared to see a 10% price drop a week or two later.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 10:51 AM   #131
New Boot

UMatic to GL1 dub?

Hi,

I'll be near the National Archives soon and I've heard that you can view film footage that has been dubbed to Umatic tape. Has anyone tried to dub this to DV via GL-1? I understand that the Umatic viewers have a BNC video out. I don't need 'broadcast' quality or cost. It would be nice if it is good quality. On another note - I also understand that you can view 16 & 35 mm film, would the quality of taping that right off a screen be OK, better or worse that UMatic?

Thanks in advance
Mark
Mark Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM   #132
weirdrelatives

I've done this with good results. I work a TV station, so I had an engineer make adapter cables for me. I went straight from the deck to the camera without a problem.

I've also recorded 16mm film from the projector with so-so results. It took a lot of tweaking bewteen scenes to get it right. That could've just been from really old, deteriorating film.

Hope this helps.
Old April 15th, 2002, 07:12 PM   #133
Warden

Hi,

Go the tape route. Umatic delivers a good picture. The problem may be with how old the tape is and how its been stored. I would think the Archives would store it properly but who knows. Composite video and line level audio should make for a decent dub. If it's old enough there is probably no sound. Trying to shoot movies off a screen or wall is full of problems. The frame rates are all wrong and the video flickers. The camera also sees the texture to the screen or wall and it makes the film look even grainier. good luck

Jeff Donald
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #134
Trustee

XM1 and it's audio AGC?

Hi all. I am almost sold on getting myself an XM1 but I have one more thing someone just brought to light regarding it. Someone told me that the audio on the XM1 has Automatic Gain Control and that I might be in trouble if I used it for anything like filing a short film or movie.

Now, I will be getting a shotgun mic and boom with XLR adapter for it, but from what I hear that will still go through the AGC circuitry so I'll get strange happenings when shooting things like quiet sounds and the like. Is this correct?

Can someone offer some input into this - Whether my concerns are unfounded or a possible solution. I'm thinking that I might have to go to a DAT tape and use a clapper board for syncing or something? Someone even mentioned that I can get a mini-disk recorder and connect a mic to that.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 02:55 AM   #135
Trustee

A good Sony Mini Disk is a great low cost alternative to DAT. You'll have to get an adapter to go from XLR to 1/8" and make sure you use a mike that is self powering(ie does not require phantom power). You'd have to do this with a DAT to unless you plan on spending around $5000+.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders