Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 28th, 2002, 03:14 AM   #91
New Boot

fullsail

fullsail is a mulitmedia school in orlando florida. they offer degrees in film/video, audio, show production, video game design, computer animation, and digital medias. it's a two year degree that you can complete in 13 months. www.fullsail.com
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2002, 04:35 AM   #92
Regular Crew

How would you rate your experience at this place? If you had it to do again, would you?
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #93
Wrangler

Eight to 10 weeks is typical for rebates.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2002, 11:34 PM   #94
New Boot

the answer is a resounding no...

i paid 30 thousand dollars to go to this film school for 13 months. their motto is "we take your dreams seriously". what a load! while i was in the scriptwriting class i wrote something. a script about a magnet school soley dedicated to young evil kids. a school to teach them how to be overlords. it was funny too. most of the scripts that get made into movies here are all about violence, lesbians, and the mob. and mine was picked to make into a 16 mm film. then i failed a 32 hour film history class. the teacher couldn't teach. you would think that i could make it up since it was so small a class. no. they yanked my script. then two months later the same exact thing happened to a friend. got his script picked and failed the same damn class. but he bitched enough and got it made. this school sucks, and would advise anyone reading this to go somewhere else.

i'm still venting.
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:29 AM   #95
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you feel strongly that the school misrepresents itself and that you have a truly legitimate basis for complaint (other than just failing a class) you should consider "venting" to the Florida States Attorney's office by filing a formal complaint.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:31 AM   #96
Regular Crew

WOW!!! and I thought I got shafted with my "education". Compared to you, my experience is almost not worth mentioning. I just graduated Dec, 2001 from the University of Utah with a BA in film studies. They don't have a motto, I don't even think they have a film department. If they can call that a film department, I think any Kindergarten in the coutry could have one. Complete waste of time and money. Of course I *only* have about $4,500 worth of debt left so I guess I don't have as much to fume about. I'm glad to hear that you're determined to make the feature, many people wouldn't be after going through this. You see for many people the excuse you have is better than an achievement, because an achievement no matter how great leaves you having to prove yourself once again in the future, but an excuse can last for a lifetime. Good luck with it.
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:09 PM   #97
Obstreperous Rex

Excuse me, Ken, but I think you might be referring to the BP915 included with the GL1 kit. The BP915 will barely last a little over an hour. The BP930 will give me more than three hours on the GL1, and I've shot with a single BP945 that literally lasted all day long with the GL1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:12 PM   #98
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quite right Chris. My error. I was thinking of the "standard" battery (knowing that mdreyes23 just got a new GL1) but referenced the 930. My apologies for the mis-reference.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 10:28 PM   #99
Regular Crew

FYI,

Sabah Oceanic (http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vcanon.html) has incredible prices on Canon replacement batteries. Ordered two BP-924s for $65.60 (includes shipping, no tax). I've used one and it seems to last as long as the AC-Delco 924 I got with my GL-1 package. It's brain-dead (no intelligence) but quite servicable.

These are obviosly Japanese 924 knockoffs from a Malasian reseller and caveat emptor, but at these prices it's hard to resist. Also, shipping took 2 days. These guys are good.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce Findleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #100
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

BP-930R with CA-910?

Hey, I just found a local Canon dealer which is great. They pretty much have all Canon accessories in stock.

Quick question for you guys. Their website says that the BP930R has to be used with the CH910 Dual Battery Charger/Holder. Is this true?

I bought the bp930r anyway and have been charging it on my CA-910 which came with my GL1. It seems like it's charging, but thought I'd ask anyway because it's been on single blink for a long time.
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:57 PM   #101
Orca8888

Timecode

Hey guys!

I have a weird question. I have a short film (video) that I shot with two different cameras. Said film was dubbed to miniDV from Final Cut Pro with my GL1. I want to send a copy of this tape to a composer so he can work on the music for it.

He's going to need a timecode as a reference on the tape I send and I'm not sure how to do that. I checked the GL1 manual and the timecode that I got it to display on the current tape is all over the place. It's not even really a timecode, it's more like a date and time stamp. All I really need is a counter for the guy.

Anyway, I'm new to a lot of this, so if any of you know how to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #102
Obstreperous Rex

This is really a Final Cut Pro question. I thought Final Cut Pro could show a timecode window burn. Anybody?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #103
Tourist

Need Help - Problem with converting VSH to GL-1

Hello all,

I am new to digital video, but I have a GL-1 and I was converting a VHS tape to the GL-1 and Had a problem with video noise at the top of the screen. When I was viewing on the TV screen, I did not see any problem, but viewing via the monitor on the GL-l I seen the video problem. My question - Since the problem did not occur on the TV screen, can I have a problem with my setting on the GL-1? If so, what are the correct setting. Is this a normal issue when converting from VHS to digital? The video quality was good on the VHS tape, but I do not know waht cause the video problem. Again, I had a situation like the tracking was off but it did not show up on the TV screen during the transfer.

Many Thanks in Advance

Kever Conyers
Memphis, TN
Kever Conyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #104
Wrangler

Sounds like your VCR may have a problem reading the start of each scan on the VHS tape, not totally unheard of. A TBC might correct it. However, it sounds like it is in the overscan area that is not seen on standard TV sets (only some professional monitors and screen grabs).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 03:30 PM   #105
New Boot

Help a newbie...

I have a GL1 and Im trying to dump some phootage
to my computer via the firewire.
My problem is the phootage itself comes out slightly jerky and sometimes fuzzy.
I tried both Premiere and VideoWave 3. Both have same results.
Ive saved some of the files and viewed with different viewers but no difference. Is this due to my system:
Athlon 900 with 512 MB ram , hard drive dual partion with OS (Win 98) seperate on a 30 gig 7200 rpm HD. Video card is a G2 gts 32MB.
What do I need to do to rectify this problem?

Thanks
FlipC_WC is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders