Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 18th, 2002, 06:14 AM   #136
Trustee

Thanks Adrian. I will look into the mini disk recorders/players I think. Are self powered mics easy to come by? I can't say I've heard of a mic that had a battery, but then again I'm new to all this.

Also, am I right about the audio on the GL1 (XM1)? If I did get an XLR adapter with controls for level adjustment, will the Auto Gain Control still kick in?
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #137
Wrangler

The GL1 (XM1) does have a type of AGC on the audio, but it is no where near as intrusive as typical cosnumer camcorder AGC. It operates more like an easyover limiter and acts to reduce gain if the input signal exceeds a certain level (corrresponding to about 12 dB below maximum allowable record level) to preserve haedroom for transients.

Obviously, if you have a very hot mic it will be in AGC much of the time, so it is good to have the ability to manage the mic level. Devices such as the Studio 1 Pro and beachtek do this nicely. Alternatively you can use the MIC ATT setting for a macro lsort of level control.

As to which external mic to use, depends on what you are recording. For stereo on a budget and a 3.5mm stereo connector check the AT-822 or Sony ECM-MS957. They also will work with MiniDISC recorders.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #138
Trustee

Thanks Don, I think I will go with the GL1. For mics I'm mainly doing scenes for short films and movies, with the occasional interview for hobbyist videos (Drag racing etc). The mic's that I normally see hanging off booms are Shotgun ones right? The usual silver sigar shaped ones that you see with fluffy covers around them sometimes..

Cheers
Old April 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM   #139
Major Player

Does the GL1 not have a manual audio mode like the XL1?

Don, does the AGC circuit on the XL1/S function in the same manner as you describe for the GL1?
Old April 18th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #140
Trustee

Ed, the XM1(GL1) doesn't have a manual sound mode.
Old April 18th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #141
Major Player

BUMMER!
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:46 PM   #142
Wrangler

I have not compared the XL1/s AGC to the GL1 AGC, but the GL1 is advertized as being 'smart'. I gues folks wiht good ears shoud try both and see whihc they prefer. Note that the XL1 mic preamps are better than the preamps in the GL1 (substantially lower noise floor)
Old April 24th, 2002, 04:30 PM   #143
Tourist

XM1 Accessories, where to buy?

Hi all

I became an XM1 owner today after a month of lurking around this forum trying to decide which camera to buy.
A BIG thanks to all that takes their valuable time to answer peoples questions on this forum. It has helped me a lot.

Now I'm in the need of some assistance. I plan to buy lots of accessories to my XM1 such as lenses, tripods, a steadycam thingie and maybe a microphone.
I've done my homework and browsed around the web searching for the most "bang for the buck" equipment out there but I'm not sure I've covered all the manufacturers.
I would be forever greatful for links to different manufacturers of these accessories:

* Lenses

* Tripods (and heads)

* Firewire card (that's known to be reliable with the XM1, PC)

* Cases (hard body, big enough to take the smaller accessories)

Thanks in advance.
Old April 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM   #144
Tourist

Update,

I've been able to find the info I wanted for the lenses and tripods so disregard those. I still need some input though, about the remaining two.

I'm able to borrow a sound card from Creative Labs that's supposed to have firewire built in. Hopefully it'll work without any glitches but I'll have to see later this week. It feels as if I'm in for some troubles...

Best regards
Old May 1st, 2002, 02:17 PM   #145
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i see you're in europe ..have you looked at the CEVEL IM2 made in france ?
has excellent spec's ..phantom power, bass roll off,

http://www.cevl.com/im2/im2.html
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 05:06 AM   #146
Wrangler

Check out Technical tab at Finding Electra

The people at Finding Electra are using the BeackTek on their GL-1. Check http://www.findingelectra.com

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 10:26 AM   #147
adambuckner

Does the XM1 (GL1 PAL) seriously underscan?

I have noticed when I import my footage from the Canon XM1 (a GL1 PAL) into iMovie that there is a huge amount of area imaged that is not viewable in either the LCD screen, or the CRT view finder, and parts of the final frame that have no image at all.

I created a down and dirty 'chart' and marked off what could be seen by the LCD screen and the CRT viewfinder. What worries me the most are the two black bars on either side that seems to be completely unimaged.

Can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon?

http://www.privateerpictures.com/gl1/xm1.jpg
Old May 9th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #148
Wrangler

You lose about 8 pixels on each edge. They are in the underscan area of normal TV and Broadcast Video. They will show up on overscan monitors, full frame/field grabs, and in computer graphics systems that do not understand underscan.
Old May 9th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #149
Trustee

This seems like the same problem that there is with the Xl1s. It has black lines of pixels on it's image also.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with all Canon DV cams? Do the sony's have it too?
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #150
Capt. Quirk

They had a story on those Sony Nightshot cameras on Tech TV's Cyber Crime. People could use the night shot mode in full daylight to get voyeur pictures through some clothing. If I remember correctly, many states have outlawed the use of these cameras for that reason. As a result, these cameras are no longer being manufactured.
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders