Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 9th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #286
Obstreperous Rex

It's very hard to say. They're pretty good at calling you with an estimate before they start work, so perhaps you could report back to us and let us know how much it is. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #287
Regular Crew

minimum costs

I recently had my little ZR10 repaired after i dropped it. They said it would be $250 minimum and that's what they charged me in the end. This may not apply at all to the GL2 but a quick phone call to Canon may turn up some generalities like this minimum charge. I would guess that for a standard clean and adjust they have a set fee.
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #288
New Boot

How to keep the gl1 running

Hi every one i need a little help?

I have a Gl1 and gl2, the cl2 works great and stays on if you put a svideo into it. My qustion is how do you keep the gl1 running when your not taping and your only plugging a s-video to it for use with a switcher. the gl2 works great and doesnt shut off. can any one point me in the right direction here.
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #289
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The GL1 pre-dates the power saving features of the GL2. So it will automatically power-down.

Try opening the tape door. I've not owned a GL1 for quite some time but I think this might defeat the power-down.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #290
Regular Crew

run a tape

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but if you record to tape during your shoot, it won't power off. This has the added advantage of giving you a backup for switching mistakes.
Stu Minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #291
Skyonic New York

I used my gl1 for shoot to a betasp deck 2 hours, it did not shut down at all, if you have the manual there should be info about it in there, i don't remeber but i did not have a tape in the gl1 as teh shoot was two hours and it was uninterrupted..
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:10 PM   #292
New Boot

Filter to Soften Image on Gl1

Hi,
Was wondering what kind of filter can i buy for my gl1 that will help soften the image to make it appear more film like?
thanx,
-Kris
Kris Durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM   #293
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tiffen, and others, make a variety of diffusion and contrast control filters for this purpose. See the Tiffen site for examples.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #294
RED Code Chef

Ofcourse you can also soften an image by turning down the
sharpness in the camera or do it in post (longer rendering times,
but perhaps more control).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #295
Wrangler

What NLE are you using? If it's Final Cut Pro then have a look at Joe's Diffuser. It really gives you a lot of control and can produce some very nice effects. It's true that you will have to do rendering, but the problem with physical filters is that it can be very difficult to see what they're doing on location unless you're using a good monitor. The viewfinder and flip-out LCD aren't high enough resolution to really show that kind of detail. And if you don't like the effect, you're out of luck. That's why I personally prefer doing this sort of thing in post.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #296
Regular Crew

GL1 LCD Self Destructs

I was a strong believer in Canon quality for the longest, despite reading about the problems that some people had with their GL2's/GL1's. Then my friend's GL1 failed to playback tapes correctly. Eventually he replaced it with a GL2 that also had to be sent into Canon's repair factory twice for similar problems.

Then just last week my LCD screen quit working on my GL1 (unless you flip it all the way to "portrait mode" which is when the LCD faces the lens - which is of little use unless you're cheesin'). The reason for this? I have no idea. I've taken care of my camera like it was my own child. It always resides right side up in my dry kata bag when not in use, and is never lent out to anyone.

So, my point in this thread is to ask: has anyone else had this problem?
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #297
Wrangler

Sounds like an issue with the two ribbon cables that connect the LCD to the rest of the camcorder. Pivoting stresses the cables, may have loosened one of the connectors.

Your freind's problem sounds a bit like his video life is star-crossed. One or two problem could be mgfr. defects, but three times implies his use of the gear is unusually severe.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #298
Regular Crew

I figured it was only a loose connection. Unfortunately I'm now at the mercy of canon repair. My friend did treat his equipment well, but he did lend it out to some fellow students - that's the catch 22. I figured it got man-handled out in the field. Anyways, thanks for the post!
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #299
Tourist

GL1 purple color shift in blue hot spots

We have a GL1 on permanant loan which I've been using to tape our dance company, so I'm using it only in theaters with theater lighting. There was one particuar lighting setting we used recently that caused what I would cause a bizarre color shift. In summary blue areas shifted to purple as the blue intensity increased to overexposure.

I'm gained up 9db and shooting nearly wide open. As you know there is huge dynamic range in theaters so where the footers hit the white cyc there is an overexposed hot-spot.

The Let's go to the examples:

1) The reference, a far shot from a PD150
http://homepage.mac.com/bowenmccauleydance/farpd150.jpg

2) The same shot from the GL1 http://homepage.mac.com/bowenmccauleydance/fargl1.jpg

3) A close-in from the GL1 shot earlier that day http://homepage.mac.com/bowenmccauleydance/closegl1.jpg

4) A close-in from the PD150 http://homepage.mac.com/bowenmccauleydance/closepd150.jpg

Those purple spots should be overexposed whites. All settings in the GL1 for color shift are default (no CP in the viewfinder). Unfortunately, I can't easily set up tests to see if the color shifter will help as these theaters are not readily available. But it doesn't seem to me that the color shift adjust has a huge latitude.

So my questions is dose this GL1 look normal or at least "yeah, funky, but GL1's do that?" I probably need a VX2000 but hate to give back this freebie GL1.
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #300
Regular Crew

It's Mainly an Overall Color Shift

I shoot dance and theater with a GL-2 and sometimes additional Optura Pi's, so your shots sure did look familiar!

I think the shots will match up fairly well once you do color correction. Notice that not only the blue cyc but also the skin tones are dramatically different - warm and golden in the GL-1.

Using the 3 color wheels in Vegas, my own "Warm Corrector" preset is 310 degrees with setting with darks at .150, midtones at .300 and brights at .600. Try applying this to the GL-1 footage.

The GL-2 (and the GL-1 as well) seems to run quite red. Try rolling down towards Green on the custom preset by one or two notches. Also try using the tungsten white balance rather than automatic white balance or setting the white balance.

Hope this helps.

-Tom-
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders