Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #421
Major Player

GL1 with WA and Formatt Matte Box

Hey guys, I have a question concerning the new Formatt matte box I got for my GL1. Ok, the box is cool and everything and now I can use 4x4 filters instead of the smaller Cokin filters I've been using, but I was curious as to whether or not I can use the matte box with my current WA and telephoto lenses. Since the lenses are 58mm, I would imagine the next step up would be 62mm on the lense's end, but Formatt doesn't make a 62mm thread. That's okay because there's a whole selection of 62mm threads on B&H's website. Another question I have is which filter should I get? One designed for WA lenses or one designed for filters? Or should I just forget the whole thing and switch when necessary?
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #422
Old Boot

Jack - which Wide angle do you have that has a 62mm end? I have the Canon WD58H, this has a 80mm end? I use the Kestrel matt box and use a 80mm adaptor.

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; August 19th, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #423
Major Player

No, no, I was guessing and you're right, the WA lens isn't 62mm on the end (but the telephoto lens is). I bought a 62mm lense hood to try this out on today and I don't know what the WA lens is, but the 62mm was almost a close fit so maybe 67mm? I'm using some cheap lenses I got off of eBay, they work pretty good but have vignetting problems =P. They're Opteka brand. Strange though, because on Opteka's website the lens apparently has 62mm front threads, I wonder why the hood didn't work. Maybe I should try a 62mm wide angle hood to see if there's a difference?
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #424
Tourist

XM1 Frame setting problem - please help!

Hi all,

I'm making a video and without knowing I filmed a good chunk of it at frame setting. Looking at the finished work now even a relatively slow pan gives a real jagged effect that I don't want. Is there anything I can do at this stage to smoothen it out?

I tried messing around a bit more with the footage: When put straight to VHS it was fine (the orignal went to DVD via toast making it jerky). Tried last night putting it to DVD via iDVD - it wasn't as jerky at all but the definition was lower, and low contrast. The computer is a G5 using final cut pro (4.5 I think)

Thanks in advance,
Philip
Philip Delamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM   #425
Tourist

Well Worn GL1 or XL1

Hey guys

I'm looking into buying a 3CCD video camera. I currently own a Canon 300D and a Canon 20D digital still camera, both of which I use for paintball photography. For those of you that don't know what paintball is, it's teams shooting at each other with guns propelled with compressed air or co2. The paintballs travel at 300 fps or roughly 200 miles per hour and of course can cause some damage to cameras. I have been photographing for about a year and am planning on starting to make my own videos.

Currently the only video camera I own is a Canon ZR80 which obviously isn't geared towards making professional quality DVDs. Right now I'm basically using it to mess around and learn how to use Premeire (which I must admit is the absolute hardest piece of software I have EVER tried to figure out.)

Anyways, as far as buying a new video camera, I have come across a well used GL1 and a fairly new XL1. Both were owned by a paintball DVD company that went out of business.

The XL1 (not an XL1s, just an XL1) is $1,500. There aren't any problems with it.

The GL1 is $600, but I can get them down lower since it has so many problems. Here is an exact qoute of how the owner described the GL1:

"The GL-1 has definitely seen better days. It's pop out LCD display on the side no longer works. There is a hairline crack by the on off switch. The lens hood is cracked, and the battery lock is broken so if you knock the back of the camera on something, the battery pops off."

They are also selling a GL2 in near mint condition for $1,200. It's pretty much out of the question because I would definitley give the extra $300 for the XL1, or else take the cheap route and get the beat up GL1.

I have 4 questions.

#1. How much would it cost for Canon to repair or replace the LCD and Battery Lock (an estimate is fine). I think I could handle using the GL1 without the LCD, and I could probably rig some sort of rubber band/duct tape to hold the battery in. Remember, I am filming paintball games and my camera is going to get the crap shot out of it no matter what I do.

#2. Being in near mint condition for the $1,500 XL1, would it be a better deal than paying $500 for the beat up GL1? I don't plan on buying any lenses for the XL1 at least for a good while, so that's not much of an issue.

#3. I have not ever personally used an XL1/s/2, how massive are they? Is it something that's going to be a burden to carry around on a paintball field for hours?

#4. How much better is the 2 than the S, and the S than the 1? Is an novice going to notice any difference?

Thanks a lot everyone for your time!
Zach Ziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM   #426
Wrangler

You are talking several hundred to repair the GL1. It was discontinued 3-4 years ago, as was the XL1. But you can call Canon at their 800 number and see what they say.

If you are just shooting and do not need the extra capabilities of the XL1 such as interchangeable lenses, arguably more convenient controls, and greater audio capability, give serious consideration to the GL2. A GL2 is about half the size of the XL1, and a smaller target for the stray shot.

Any used camcorder is a bit of a gamble, no warranty and in most cases an unknown history. Part of the trade-off for the lower price.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM   #427
Wrangler

the near-mint GL2 sounds like the better choice for paintball, the compact size means you'll get better shots and a smaller target. one other advantage i find is that i can actually mount it on a very small tripod for these kinds of occasions and run around with it already tripod-mounted and still be carrying something which is easier to maneuver than my XL2. the GL1 sounds like too much work/too risky. an XL camera seems like overkill. with frame mode and a coupla filters, like a pro-mist or soft fx, you can get a nice signature look on the GL2.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM   #428
Inner Circle

I certainly wouldn't go for the GL1.
And although I would prefer an XL cam, I think the GL2 is in this case the best option for you. If it would be an xl1s I would doubt more, but if it's the old XL1... And if you have to bear it for hours...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #429
New Boot

Parts for Canon XM1

Does anyone know where I can purchase parts for this camcorder. I am looking for the movable lens in the viewfinder, unfortunately the plastic cam on this part has broken off and I am unable to adjust the position or hold it in place
Ken Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #430
Regular Crew

Mic problem with GL1

I sold a friend an Azden true diversity mic setup. He is using a GL1. With a regular vhf receiver his audio is fine, with the true diversity receivers the audio is very, very low. I used this setup with our XL1s before going UHF (worked fine). Anyone know the problem? Compatibility issue maybe?
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #431
Regular Crew

XLR to 1/8 Stereo or Mono?

You did not mention which model for the Azden setup. I'm guessing it is not one that mounts in the camera shoe and has a short 1/8 cord for input to the camera mic jack. Is it one which has XLR output from the receiver, and an XLR to 1/8 mini plug adapter cable is being used to input the signal to the GL1? If so, make sure the 1/8 side is mono instead of stereo. Or use a 1/8 stereo to 1/8 mono adapter. My Azden UDR 400 with XLR output does not work well at all with my GL1 if the 1/8 jack is stereo. Works fine if it is mono.
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #432
New Boot

How to bring audio in to GL1 from mixer

So I have a small Mackie mixer thats bringing in audio from the wireless mic to my GL1 what port should I be connecting to and what settings should I be picking in the GL1 menu for the best recording.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Rangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #433
Wrangler

One apprach is to set the Mackie mixer output to MIC level and using the approprite adpter cables connect to the mic input jack on the GL1 You might need to use the MIC ATT setting as well.
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #434
New Boot

Cleaning GL1 Viewfinder

Hello All,

I’m a new member and first of all I got to say that I love this place. There is so much knowledge floating around.

Well, I am hoping that some of you can help me out. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how:

1) Clean the inside of the viewfinder. How do I even access the inside of it?
2) Remove the rubber eye piece so I can wash it out?

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help. Thanks for your time!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM   #435
New Boot

chances are its just on the magnifying glass at the eyepeice and not on the lcd. so just look for a way to detach the top portion of your eyepiece to clean it with a q-tip
Tim Hupalo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders