Various GL1 / XM1 questions - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 15th, 2002, 02:30 AM   #106
RED Code Chef

Are you using firewire or analog capture?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 05:06 AM   #107
New Boot

Im using firewire.
FlipC_WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #108
RED Code Chef

It might be Windows 98... it could also be your firewire card...
some people have reported problems with their firewire cards
with certain cameras....

Other than that I have no clue...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 09:13 AM   #109
Trustee

Flip

Try adding a second drive and blowing off Win 98 and going to W2k. Partitioning is ok but can cause problems like what you are experiencing.

to get the best performance, have one disk with your OS/Apps on it and the other for video filess only. Processor and RAM are fine, but Win98 isn't really up to the video task.

If getting a copy of Win2k is a problem let me know
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #110
Major Player

In FCP go to Effects:Video Filters:Video:Timecode Print and presto.
Sorry I am so late but I didn't see this post untill now.

Rhett
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 04:05 PM   #111
New Boot

Ive got another 40 gig , 7200 RPM , UDMA 100 drive and also a
7200 RPM , 9.1 gig UWD scsi drive. I will try each of those to see...
along with putting my firwire card into one of my 2000 Machines...
Guess i will have to build a comp just for video editing....

Thanks for the support...

Oh , Afterburner , thanks again for steering me towards the GL1 as I've gotten to use the XL1s now and you were right in saying the GL1 is the better way to go for full on , in the action , filming (skateboarding videos). The XL1s is way to auckward for that.
FlipC_WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 07:46 PM   #112
Trustee

Don't worry about the SCSI drive, it's way to small. The 40GB ATA100 drive will do the job nicely.

It is best to have a machine just for video. DV demands almost total resourses to perform at it's best. It will work on a non exclusive machine, but if you are doing serious work a DV only machine is the way to go.

I'm stoked you're happy with your camera choice. The GL1 is a great little camera. Don't write off the XL1 though, maybe later down the track you can use one for a second angle, something I find is missing in a lot of low end skate videos. As soon as I have the spare coin, I'm adding a GL1 to my kit so I can do just that.

Enjoy :)
Old March 17th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #113
Liamo2002

Another newbie, emergency.

I just bought a GL-1 and I guess I really should have a left a little time to figure everything out on it. I assumed transferring the video to my laptop would be an easy matter. I have a firewire port and card that connects up to my camera fine, but it won't capture the DV. My computer keeps freezing up. Do I need a separtate capture card is my first question. My second is, do I need software for the GL-1 istelf? Like drivers and stuff? I can't find anything like that on the canon website and wasn't given anything with the camera.

I'm in the process of making a short comedy sketch. The thing has to be edited onto VHS by Wednesday for my portfolio. I have absolute no idea how I'm going to get this done in time. Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2002, 02:15 PM   #114
Obstreperous Rex

You need editing & capture software that recognizes the GL1. Such as Adobe Premiere, or for a cheao solution, try ArcSoft ShowBiz or ArcSoft Video Impression.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #115
Liamo2002

Thanks for the reply. I have Video Wave three, this keeps crashing though. Do I need other software?
Old March 17th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #116
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

You don't need a separate capture card. All you need is a firewire port.

You do not need software specifically for the GL-1.

You do need some type of editing/capture software that recognizes the GL1 as Chris mentions.

That's all you need.

The problem is making sure that everything is compatible. My advice would be to go to the website of the editing/capture software you are using. Make sure you have the latest update for that software. Then go through the support pages and be sure that your firewire port/card is supported by the software. Also make sure you have the right driver installed for you firewire port/card and that it is installed correctly.

For example, I have a firewire card installed in WindowsXP. I use a GL1 and Adobe Premiere. I could not get mine to work for awhile but learned that my card was installed improperly even though I did not see any exclamation points.
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #117
Trustee

Make sure your computer has enough power, don't capture on battery, make sure you your laptop is plugged in as a lot of laptops step the processor speed down when on battery to save power
Old March 18th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #118
Liamo2002

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll look into this and get back to you.
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #119
freedomfilmz

Still shots with GL1

Anyone got any scoop on what the quality of the stills are shot with a GLI in still mode? And secondly what is the quality when a still is taken from a video frame?
Thanks
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:59 PM   #120
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The GL1, like the XL1(s), does ok with its stills. Basically it lays down 6 sec of the still onto the tape. Taking frames from moving footage is comparable, depending of course on the amount of motion.

In general, however, video cameras as pretty weak at still photography compared to even modest digital still cameras today. The design objective differences between still and video cameras are fundamental. For example, unlike still cameras, the GL1 can only capture a 720x480 image resolution.

My suggestion is to use a digital still camera for stills and/or simply grab frames from moving GL1 footage if you absolutely need them and only have footage at hand. The "photo" facility on the GL1 and XL1(s) is, in my opinion, a rather silly feature meant to appeal to the "-sumer" side of the "prosumer" video market.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders