Sony User Tries Canon HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Yeah, that was my impression when I was looking at VX2000 v. GL1. Tape drives don't seem to be an issue in Sony's. Seems like Canon owners are always waiting for that shoe to drop... Thats why I am becoming initiated to Canon with an $1,100 camera, rather than the A-1 at $ 4K. We shall see, and I am going into this with an open mind.
Not so Chris. I've had more than my share of problems with small Sony tape drives.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Chris,

A hearty welcome to Canon - land.

May the images inspire you and bring a lot of happyness.

Can't wait to read your first feedback report.

Canon - evangelist - Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

That's weird...I'm a Canon user trying a Sony
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #19
Trustee

Art, doesn't make you a bad person. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Arriving Soon

Just checked UPS. Arrival expected today. First thing I think I will do this afternoon is do some backyard comparison shots, in full auto mode for both the FX1 and HV20, and post some comparison grabs. I will follow up with some comparison footage in next day or two.

Letus35A has not arrived, yet, but I may try some adapter footage with my self built adapter. I did some tuning on it last night, so I might be okay, but I'm thinking my current adapter/lens combination is a bit defficient.
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #21
Major Player

All my HDV experiences have been with the Sony Z1U and FX1's - great camera's. Solid, great control, love the wide-angle lens. However, not such a fan of the large grain (more camera than the HDV codec) and the excessive sharpening.

The HV20 is such a fragile feeling camera compared to those big, solid semi-pro cameras. But the image is "cleaner" :)
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
All my HDV experiences have been with the Sony Z1U and FX1's - great camera's. Solid, great control, love the wide-angle lens. However, not such a fan of the large grain (more camera than the HDV codec) and the excessive sharpening.

The HV20 is such a fragile feeling camera compared to those big, solid semi-pro cameras. But the image is "cleaner" :)
11:00 a.m. No UPS yet.

I've just realized that too about the FX1 I have, but also realize that I should be turning down sharpness to about 8 to get a cleaner lower grain image. I realize I haven't begun to explore all the available adjustments on the FX1. Why the heck to do I want another camera to learn..... :)
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I realize I haven't begun to explore all the available adjustments on the FX1. Why the heck to do I want another camera to learn..... :)
'Cause you will have a 24P High Definition camera that fits in the palm of your hand and costs 1/3 the price of the FX1!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #24
Inner Circle

11:30: Its arrived.

Package opened. First surprise. Its clear Canon doesn't factory seal boxes. Sony's I bought always had a tape over the flap, if I recalled correctly, but of course that could have been store deal.

Second surprise, Canon box has virtually nothing on it.

I am attaching pictures of how packing looks, what was in box, and comparison shots with my other cameras, Panny GS120, Sony VX2000, and Sony FX1 so you can see size.

After hearing a lot about small size, actually thought it was going to be smaller that GS120, but that is not so. Feels solid enought so far.

Now I have to charge batteries..... bit more wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06439.jpg   Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06440.jpg  

Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06441.jpg   Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06442.jpg  

Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06443.jpg   Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06445.jpg  

Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06446.jpg  
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Check out with Teleextender

While plugged into charger, I attached my 1.7 Sony teleextender to HV20 with the 43-58 step up ring. Vignetting only at widest setting is visible on screen, with it disappearing off screen about 1/8 up the telephoto scale. Actually looks promising for nature shooting. I used same extender on FX1 with a lot more vignetting, and could only shoot it full telephoto. See photo
Attached Thumbnails
Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06448.jpg   Sony User Tries Canon  HV20-dsc06449.jpg  

Old April 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #26
Inner Circle

HV20 v. FX1

Here are comparison .bmps. They may show up distorted because of the pixels being interpreted in the bitmap as square by your viewer.

This is totally unscientific, but gives you a good idea what they look like compared.

HV20 is doing very well, in my opinion. It did blow out in highlights on oranges.

Both cameras were shot at full auto, except FX1 had ND2 on. I think the HV20 has some sort of ND automatically engaged, but I have not studied that yet. These are shots of backyard.

FX1 actually had Cinetone engaged on the bird shot..
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #27
Inner Circle

for some reason photo won't load. I will check it out.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Sorry, can't seem to upload anything right now. Not sure why.... Will see about tomorrow.
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #29
Wrangler

Chris, FWIW, there seem to be some issues with uploading attachments; I've had inconsistent results myself.... What browser are you using? There seem to be several issues that have Apple's Safari browser in common.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Boyd:

I never had a problem before, and have uploaded .wmv and bitmaps, etc. I use plain old IE. I uploaded 10 jpegs earlier today, is it possilbe there is a limit?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders