Sony User Tries Canon HV20 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sipe View Post
now are these digital stills from the camera or are these "Screen" caps of the "non compressed" film?
These are bitmap captures of the time line of .m2t files captured to Premiere Pro.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Dennis and all:

Well I just took the camera out into the field, and did some wildlife shooting, just to see how it went.

A couple of things impressed me.

1. IAF actually worked real well ! I followed a bird through weeds, shrubs and grass, and the focus was maintained pretty well. I think Canon has recognized that in most situation in which you have HD filming, focus is a big issue. This instant focus feature snaps in pretty well. I am surprised.

2. I shot with teleextender, and it did quite well too. Even with IAF

3. I shot everything through the viewfinder, either steady stick, or tripod. For the telephoto, steady stick was no good. But, I will back track a bit on viewfinder. I think it worked better than I anticipated. Still not really a focusable situation, but actually could monitor decently through it.

I will try to post some screen graps and maybe even a couple of seconds of footage...later this evening.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #48
Major Player

Chris,

looking forward to the footage. Thanks for your work and all this info. really good insites. Looks like May is the date for us here in aus. Can't wait!
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #49
Inner Circle

This is short clip, highly compressed that demonstrates the instant auto focus. I had heard some bad comments about it, but it seems pretty nice the way it focus. I would like to post a couple actual .m2t files, but I don't think I can do it with the attachments provided below... I will have to see how much bandwidth I have on my site...
Attached Files
File Type: wmv blackbird.wmv (1.74 MB, 485 views)
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Here is a rack of clips HV20 M2V

As close to original as possible. Note that the pond shots are a bit of a struggle, with the angle of the sun, and dark birds. I have done no color correction.

Also note that with the teleconvertor shots at the end, you may see some red fringing, which I assume is chromatic aberration. It really pronounced on other shots I took with teleconvertor today.

Download clip by right clicking and saving target, please. I don't know how much bandwith I will have

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/downloads/HV20clips.m2v CLOSED AT MOMENT DUE TO BANWIDTH Megaupload url provided below.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; April 6th, 2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: advise of pull
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
This is short clip, highly compressed that demonstrates the instant auto focus. I had heard some bad comments about it, but it seems pretty nice the way it focus. I would like to post a couple actual .m2t files, but I don't think I can do it with the attachments provided below... I will have to see how much bandwidth I have on my site...

Chris, I've never understood those comments where people were having trouble with IAF. Mine works perfectly and is far faster and more accurate than any I've used before.

Crhis, regarding the clips, the only 2 scenes were of the bird in the tree (very nice) and what looks like that backyard scene with the swimming pool.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Ken, it should have been a about 160 megabyte download. Was yours less ?

I ve had to pull the file just now, due to bandwidth issues.... I will see what other way I can post the file.
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #53
Trustee

Chris, no, it was about 29megs.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #54
Inner Circle

I didn't think you could play a partial down load like that.. wow. File was definitely 162,000 plus kb...
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Will DVinfo host some footage

Moderator:

Given the interest in this thread, will DVinfo host some footage for me ?
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Chris,
please shoot something in 24p Mode
and please upload it to www.megaupload.com

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Stefan.
P.S: Can the NTSC US 60 Hz model also be switched into PAL
25 frames/sec ?
Is there any hidden menu that can do this or a firmware upgrade trick ?
Stefan Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Okay, I will check it out.
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Okay, I have uploaded the footage I previously listed to Megal upload. Check it out there, unless someone at DVinfo wants to host. Here is url:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XL96FDZ0

I will also try to post a 24 clip of about 250 megs.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; April 6th, 2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add information
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #59
Inner Circle

24 p File

This is a 24p file. Has static shot with subject moving, then a pan. It was captured to Premiere Pro 2.0 in native .m2t format. Of course, HV20 records 24p inside the 60i stream, so some processing is subsequently required to maximize the 24p benefit. Here is download url at Megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LGSN70AP
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Think you might have uploaded two different clips. the one on mega upload is the M&M's one. Was that shot in 24p? and did you do any color correction? Did you use natural light or additional?

EDIT:: sorry for asking 24p i see it in your post now. =)

EDIT2:: okay was the M&M shot done in 24p? =)

Last edited by Eric Sipe; April 6th, 2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: 24p was mentioned in post. misunderstanding
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders