HV20 questions re audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The Rode Video Mic is always worth a look too. Compared to my Canon DM-50, it seemed to pick up less motor noise when I tested it with a GL2. It's mono, not stereo (like the DM-50).

Rode mic info can be found here:
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Pro...oduct=VideoMic
Dale Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Check out my photos of the HV20 with a mic mounted at the thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=90504&page=6
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baglo View Post
The Rode Video Mic is always worth a look too. Compared to my Canon DM-50, it seemed to pick up less motor noise when I tested it with a GL2.
It should. It has a shock mount.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

On it's webpage it says the Rode Video Mic has "a switchable high pass filter to reduce unwanted low frequency rumble".

Is that the frequency zone we're talking about, or another?

Would a hypercardioid mic do a better job?

best
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Elmer:
This week sometime I plan to try the rig with my Sennheiser ME66 attached. Biggest issue I see is the potential for mic, due to length, protruding to far into picture frame...
Hey Chris,

I was hoping you were going to post your impressions of the HV20 with ME66 attached, or other mic.

best,
elmer
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang View Post
Hey Chris,

I was hoping you were going to post your impressions of the HV20 with ME66 attached, or other mic.

best,
elmer

I just ran one short test, actually in automode. I'll see if I can post some sound track...
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Mic Testing Camera v. ME66

As requested here are two wave files with the camera mic and the ME 66, in a room. File names explain which is which. These are waves rendered off a captured hdv time line, in Premiere Pro 2.0

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/mictestME66.wav

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/mictestcameramic.wav
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Great to hear! Thanks, Chris, for posting both wav files!!

My impression was that they both were picking up motor noise.

According to my sound meter in FCP, the ME66 audio, when you weren't talking, was about -33dB, the HV20's mic about -30dB. The HV10 on-cam mic registers -36dB.

What are your impressions? Was the ME66's audio levels/noise 'pickup' different from your experience with other cameras/recorders?

Thanks again, Chris, you've been great and I appreciate it!

best,
elmer
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #24
Major Player

hv20 and ext mics

chris-

nice job posting some audio samples.

to my tired ole ears the me66 sounded much cleaner though there clearly was some sound bouncing around in the room. can u please describe how the recording was made? hv20 on a tripod? u standing approx how many feet in front of the mic? room conditions (room was a bit bright)

would u think about passing the audio signal thru an external field pre (mixpre) so u could control the imput in ways the audiio controls of the hv20 do not allow?

i ask the above because of the hv20's very low profile, i'm thinking of using it on some talking head interviews with folks who may feel overwhelmed by a bigger rig---even one the size of the diminutive a1. if i thought i could control the sound inputs i would seriously consider using/buying the hv20 for this shoot.

any thoughts u could offer would be greatly appreciated.

again, thanks for posting.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Elmer and Rob:

The room was our family room, hard wood floors, 10 foot ceiling, joining to kitchen. Definitely a bright, noisy, echoing room. I was about 4 to 5 feet from camera mounted on a tripod. I was using DXA-4 (I always get this backward, so could be DX4-A) adapter from Beachtek. Dials were set a about 4 or 5 right and left, with switch set at mono, since ME66 is mono. I think I posted picuture of how it was mounted on camera earlier in this thread. The mic is has XLR cord to the adapter, but I noted the other day that it was making a bit of noise on movement.

I'm thinking I could have put camera sound into manual, and adjusted things better. I'm not sure if that would help camera sound. I have a sock on the mic I put on myself, and it is by no means technically correct. It a piece of foam with cloth over it. Use it to hoping to take some of the brightness out, but that is probably not the right thing to do...

I may try some some testing in a carpeted room to see if any difference occurs. I will post the sound clip this evening, I hope.

I do thin think this camera is workable to provide a low profile shoot like you are talking about, Rob.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #26
Inner Circle

This sound test has three different tests in the same smaller room, with carpeting, but 10 ft ceilings.

I describe each test, but includes Me66 on camera, camera mic only, and ME66 mounted off camera:

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/downloads/newsoundtest.wav
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Chris

Excellent report! You had really good levels with your DXA-4, and the ME66 was sweet.

It was interesting the difference on my FCP's levels. The ME66, in silence, registered about -42 (-33dB, 1st test). But you still had excellent levels when you spoke.

When removed from the camera it registered the same really, maybe sliiiightly lower.

I think I heard motor noise, but it was very faint.

Surprising was that the HV20's audio, in silence, was also lower, about -36dB in silence (-30dB, 1st test). Odd.

Thanks again!

best,
elmer
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Chris, others,
thanks, makes for some excellent reading & listening...
There is another test I am planning on doing (when I get my hv20, which may take some weeks still): measuring the noise the camera records when there is NO mic active (not even internal), and with automatic gain control off. So we get an idea of the quality of the in-cam analog components used before the AD conversion. Could one trick the camera into disabling the on board mic by plugging in some unattached cable?
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Jongerius View Post
Chris, others,
thanks, makes for some excellent reading & listening...
There is another test I am planning on doing (when I get my hv20, which may take some weeks still): measuring the noise the camera records when there is NO mic active (not even internal), and with automatic gain control off. So we get an idea of the quality of the in-cam analog components used before the AD conversion. Could one trick the camera into disabling the on board mic by plugging in some unattached cable?
That should work. I know it worked that way when I had my Beachtek attached in a rush out the door to a kids concert, and didn't bring ear phone, and started recording. The Beachtek was still plugged in, but no mic atached. Had a nice sillent track.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM   #30
Tourist

please recommend

looking for a external mic around $200 - $300 for HV 20. Objective, to record female opera singer with big voice accompanied with piano. Need a 'warm' mic to avoid harsh reproduction esp. at the top. mic has to be placed out of view perhaps 5' - 8' away.

What other equipment do I need to make it work. Also want to avoid post production editing other copying onto dvd's.

Thanks.
Alex Moskvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders