On Camera Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 10th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

On Camera Lighting

I've mostly used my XH A1 as a hobby and feel fairly comfortable with it. I was recently asked to film a wedding. I told them I could give them an armature price for an amateur job. They are looking to save money.

My main question: would it be worth it to get some on camera lights to get interviews, etc. at the reception party?

I was looking at this one at B&H. Anton Bauer ElightZ On Camera Light - 6 VDC ELIGHTZ - B&H Photo

If you have recommendations for better ones for a good price I'd be interested. And do you think it will help with what ever funky lighting they have at the reception?

The wedding is going to be outdoors so I'm not too concerned about lighting the actual wedding.
Dan Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm also looking at this one which fits on the hot shoe

With the Anton Bauer ElightZ I'm not sure how it fits on the camera and wold I have to buy a battery pack?
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dan .. 10W won't do the job and Halogens for on cam use are basically out.

Lights at a wedding bring their own baggage .. I'd ask over at the Wedding board Wedding / Event Videography Techniques Forum at DVinfo.net new LED lights are turning up every week.

Look around locally at the rent shops and try some out. HTH.
Cheers.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

May I suggest you the Comer 1800 light. We are the reseller and DVinfo sponsor. A lot of forum members bought this light and very happy with it. I myself use it for weddings. I also use Xh-A1.

http://lacolorshop.com/products/item.asp?id=cm1800

Check out this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...-lighting.html
On Video Light Suggestion - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Taky Cheung;1557884]May I suggest you the Comer 1800 light. We are the reseller and DVinfo sponsor. A lot of forum members bought this light and very happy with it. I myself use it for weddings. I also use Xh-A1.

Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop

That is a very nice light. I guess it doesn't come with the battery or charger? How long will it run on one battery?

Dan

Edit: or does it draw power from the hotshoe? Kinda confused.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dan, there are two kits that comes with battery and chargers

Comer CM-LBPS1800 LED Light Starter Kit | L.A. Color Shop
Comer 1800 Deluxe Kit | L.A. Color Shop

With the NP-F770 battery, it lasts 2 hours continously at max brightness. It's over 3.5 hrs for the NP-F970 battery.

The battery is mounted at the back of the light.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Taky Cheung,

Looks like I'm going to be buying one of your kits. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Glad I can help. I am also a wedding videographer. I shot with two XH-A1 and a HV30. I used to have AGC on to +3 db. Now with the comer lights, I have it at -3db or 0db. All the video are clean noise free.

You can also check out the "Condenser Lens Trick". It works very well for me when I need to zoom in at reception.

Comer Lights Condenser Trick | L.A. Color Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders