Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Impact Batteries in the A1?

I'd read something about large non-Canon brand batteries sticking in the A1's battery compartment. There is a huge price difference between Impact ($129.99) and Canon BP-970 ($164.99) batteries at B&H.

Anybody have any experience with Impact batteries, specifically the larger-sized BP-970s in the A1?
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #137
Regular Crew

I ordered a Impact 970 from B&H last week and when it arrived the plastic package it came in was already open and the battery was cracked! I couldn't believe it. I called B&H and they just told me to return it and they would ship me a new one, But please I paid full price for a new one and it's broken.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM   #138
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

I am unsure of the Impact Batteries, but TapeWorks provides Lenmar batteries as an option other than the Canon. Check them out at http://www.lenmar.com/
I have customers that have purchased the LIC970G 7.4V 7200mAh
Lithium-Ion battery instead of the Canon BP970 and they mentioned that the Lenmar battery works just as good if not better than the Canon Version. And they purchased the Lenmar at a better price ($99.95 from TapeWorks)

Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
scott@tapeworkstexas.com
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM   #139
Major Player

I have the Lenmar LIC-941's & they're made just a tad too big & do get stuck. The easiest remedy though is to place some gaffer tape on the back & use enough to make yourself roughly a 1/2" pull tab. I'd amagine the LIC-970G's are the same. It takes maybe a second longer to extract it. Big deal :)

It's a goofy fix, but I'd rather the small inconvience than to pay a lot more for a Canon brand.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM   #140
Major Player

There are places to go cheap, and batteries and tape are not the ones. Be smart and spend the money on Canon batteries.

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM   #141
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Duggins View Post
I'd read something about large non-Canon brand batteries sticking in the A1's battery compartment. There is a huge price difference between Impact ($129.99) and Canon BP-970 ($164.99) batteries at B&H.

Anybody have any experience with Impact batteries, specifically the larger-sized BP-970s in the A1?
I got two of the larger ones from B&H and boy they seem to last for ever!

I do not see any problem with the fit as reported by some others when using the larger batteries.

One bat. did arrive cracked but it is too much of a hassel for me returning from West Coast Australia. I super glued it up with no problems. Two of these cheaper high capacity batteries plus the camera original will give you days in the field away from power. I am not sure how many cycles they will last, but at the price...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM   #142
Regular Crew

I ordered one of the large Impact batteries with my camera. It just about fills the entire cavity in the A1 but slides in and pops out just like the stock Canon battery. We'll see how it lasts.

One thing the puzzles me a little is that the Canon battery that comes with the A1 has five contacts on it. The Impact battery only has two. So far it seems to work and charge the same but I'm curious what the other three contacts are for on the Canon battery. Anyone know?

-Dan
Dan Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM   #143
Major Player

I always thought that extra contacts on batteries like you mention are for diagnostics, such as capacity, more accurate time remaining, voltage, etc. But even though the A1 itself has these contacts in the battery compartment, there's no indication anywhere that they are implemented.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #144
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I always thought that extra contacts on batteries like you mention are for diagnostics, such as capacity, more accurate time remaining, voltage, etc. But even though the A1 itself has these contacts in the battery compartment, there's no indication anywhere that they are implemented.
Thanks, Bill. I also thought they might be for a fast charger since the contact pads are larger. In any case, the battery works great. My impression so far is that the A1 does not go through batteries like my DVXs do. This battery and the stock Canon battery should be enough to cover most events I do. Time will tell as to how many charge cycles it will handle.

-Dan
Dan Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Thanks for this thread, and for the message about the gaffer's tape. Just bought a Lenmark battery, used it tonight for the first time, it went in a little weird, and got stuck. Just got it out with the gaffer's tape, and am taking it back on Monday. I have the Canon battery and an Impact knockoff, which has worked fine since I got the camera. But I will not be getting another Lenmark battery...
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #146
Regular Crew

The Impact BP-970s work perfect for me and are $40 cheaper than the Canons at B&H.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #147
Regular Crew

For tight batteries, get some ScotchBrite, not the cheaper dollar store stuff and lightly sand down the housing until it slides in more smoothly. It's smoother than sandpaper.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #148
Regular Crew

original Canon battery died after just 2 months of use, will Canon replace it?

The original Canon battery that came with my XH A1
died after just 2 months of use, will Canon replace it?
I probably only used it 4 or 5 times, as the back-up
to the other two large batteries that I have... It won't
charge, and my voltmeter indicated 0.0v... which is
kind of odd. (the other big batteries all showed the
proper amount of voltage)

I'm asking becasue I can still remember a couple of years
when Canon refused to replace my old GL-2's battery.
(but it was already 1 year and 1 month after purchase)

Just wondering if I should bother at all...

Thanks!
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #149
Obstreperous Rex

It seems like you're having poor luck with Canon lately... you're the one who returned an HV20 after only an hour of using it. Nevertheless, the warranty on the battery is the same as the camcorder... twelve months... so they should replace it. There's only one way to find out, and that's by contacting Canon USA directly, at 1-800-OK-CANON.

Since you're in the best position to answer your own question, perhaps you can report back and tell us what you find out. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #150
Major Player

Actual battery lifetime BP-950/970

Hi:

I have searched the forum, the question has been asked, but no one seems to have monitored the battery lifetime. The only numbers are Canon's official claim of 5 and 7 hours for the BP-950 and 970 respectively.

On a normal day, how long can you go without a recharge?

I know, that on a normal day, you likely do not shoot continuously, depending on the project, it may be more interesting: How much footage do you get on a full battery.

Thanks, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders