Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #46
Wrangler

Cody, that's a surprising assessment...sure you had the battery fully charged to start with?

The XL H1 lasts many hours on the standard BP-950G battery and I had the XH A1 powered on today using the LCD for well over an hour (although not recording), and the battery icon still shows fully charged.

The XH User manual shows over three hours using the LCD on bright under typical shooting conditions (see p17 of the manual). The battery icon in the display is depicted on pp142-143. Here's the existing sticky thread with a link to the downloadable user manual:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78794

I'll keep watch on battery life, as no doubt many others will.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #47
Obstreperous Rex

Canon claims five hours for the BP-950G and seven hours for the BP-970G. It'll be nice to know what the real-world endurance is like under a variety of conditions.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Cody, that's a surprising assessment...sure you had the battery fully charged to start with?

The XL H1 lasts many hours on the standard BP-950G battery and I had the XH A1 powered on today using the LCD for well over an hour (although not recording), and the battery icon still shows fully charged.

The XH User manual shows over three hours using the LCD on bright under typical shooting conditions (see p17 of the manual). The battery icon in the display is depicted on pp142-143. Here's the existing sticky thread with a link to the downloadable user manual:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78794

I'll keep watch on battery life, as no doubt many others will.
Yeah, that is a fully charged battery that came with it. Not sure the number on it. I shot for almost the full two hours and used zoom and focus.

Twice now it has come in like that. I just got my 970G so I am really looking forward to that.
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Thanks guys. Sounds like even the most pessimistic assessment is a big improvement over typical battery life for the Canon GL1/GL2.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #50
Contributor

Coming from bigger cameras, a 2 hour battery life looks awesome to me.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #51
Regular Crew

I shot a wedding yesterday with the A1. I shot for 6 hours straight and only used 1.5 batteries. I was very surprised that they lasted that long, but is awesome!
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #52
Trustee

The batts will last longer if you go tapeless as the transports wont be spinning tape stock.....another good reason for a Firestore!
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #53
Wrangler

Joe, was that with the standard BP-950G battery that comes with it, the larger 970, or 3rd party? Just curious because of the earlier comments about short batt life, which doesn't match my experience so far nor the battery life tables in the user manual.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Joe, was that with the standard BP-950G battery that comes with it, the larger 970, or 3rd party? Just curious because of the earlier comments about short batt life, which doesn't match my experience so far nor the battery life tables in the user manual.

I was using the 950G, the one that comes with the camera.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #55
New Boot

Battery Charging

Does the battery charge when the dc power adapter is in use? I have tried this several times and notice that the charging light goes off when I use the dc adapter. Is this normal?
Thanks
Monte Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #56
Obstreperous Rex

Yes that's normal. The CA-920 Compact Power Adapter functions as either a battery charger or as a camera power supply, but not both at the same time.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #57
Tourist

im not sure, but I believe this has something to do with not wearing out the battery.
Devan Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #58
Regular Crew

does the battery ever get warm/hot inside the A1?

I started to think about this after playing with the
Canon G7 camera that I bought last night. It gets
very warm after only 20 to 30 minutes of shooting.
That's only with a small lithium battery, compared
to the big lithium battery inside the A1 camcorder.
Does the battery ever get warm/hot inside the A1?
(after an hour of use?)

Thanks!
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #59
Go Cycle

BATTERY TIP-How to remove a stuck battery.

Some users are reporting that their batteries are getting stuck inside the camera causing difficulty in removing same.

Here is a tip: Get those small tiny clear suction cups that are used to dangle items from a holiday window. Simply press the cup against the battery and pull it out.

This does NOT seem to be an issue with REAL CANON batteries but rather the knock-offs that are slightly longer in size.
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent tip, Lou... thanks for sharing this!

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders