Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #31
Major Player

I don't think there is a dedicated DC input jack. To power the camera off wall power, you need that dummy battery plate from a CH-910 or DC-920.

If you look closely, there is a small grommet on the battery compartment hatch. I think this is a pass-thru for the cable for the dummy battery plate from the CH-910 or the DC-920. Another clue is on the Japanese page for XH accessories ( http://cweb.canon.jp/cgi-bin/prodv-o..._op.cgi?_XHG1_ ) it says both the CH-910 and DC-920 are compatible with the XH series cameras.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

I saw that too and couldn't tell if it was a pass-through grommet or an IR sensor. But since the Japanese web page says those units are compatible, then that's good enough for me. Thanks Tim,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #33
Major Player

No problem Chris! I've been staring at these XH photos so much to pass the time waiting for these cameras to arrive, I know every nook and cranny by now :)

Too bad the manuals can't be released ahead of time. That would make for some mighty fine reading.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #34
Regular Crew

You know my Canon A-1 Digital had a battery compartment in the front, on the bottom and the dummy plate fit in there to supply converted power from 110 AC.
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #35
Major Player

So it does take the Ch910!

Alright

Last edited by Matthew Nayman; September 27th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Terry, the old Hi-8 format A1 was my first Canon camcorder. Nice to run across somebody who remembers it.

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Yes that was my first Canon video camera also. Boy was I so excited to have that!
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #38
Contributor

A friend of mine had an A1 back in those days, and I had a BVW300, which as you know only used the 20 or 30 minute mini Betacam tapes. Occasionally somebody would want me to shoot a seminar. If it was a decent job I'd rent a BVW50 deck and second BVW camera, but lots of them were not quality critical for the video. So, I would use a little Hi-8 portable deck we had and could get two hours out of that. Sometimes I'd use the friend's A1 as a reverse angle on the audience. It was always softer, but I got by with it, and the audience cutaways saved me more than once. Sony actually made a 1/2" chip professional Hi-8 camcorder that looked exactly like the UVW100 Betacam camera, but the little A1 looked damn near as good and was a heck of a lot cheaper.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Boy we are so far off topic now but I can't resist. Bill I think that Sony pro Hi-8 was the EVW-300. The king of all Hi-8 cameras, at least those that weren't dockable. See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...ny_EVW-300.jpg

Old September 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #40
Wrangler

BTW, have we determined for certain that the dummy charger plate is actually useable, presumably through a port in the battery compartment lid? It must be so, as I just couldn't imagine having a pro camcorder that could not accept wall power but would be nice confirm it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

I should be able to confirm it for you, with photos, in about 24 to 36 hours from now.

Old September 28th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

As promised, here it is: the guess about the access tab on the door is correct (click photo to see big).

By the way, Canon USA has asked me to demo these cams today for a group of college / university video program coordinators (as I do for CUSA and other companies from time to time at various trade shows and other events), so I have access to the A1 and G1 for a short time. So let me know what else I can show you.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XH batteries / battery thread-dcinput.jpg   Canon XH batteries / battery thread-dcinput2.jpg  

Old November 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #43
Inner Circle

XH-A1 battery life?

Just wondering what battery life for the XH-A1 is like in recording mode, both with the standard battery that comes with the camera and any bigger batteries available from Canon. Also, is there an indicator somewhere to estimate battery life remaining, and if so where and in what form?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #44
Major Player

An energy hog is the best description I can give you. The battery that came with gives me about 2 hours or continuous operation. That might be because I use the flip out LCD over the eyepiece.

I just ordered a BP970 that is supposed to give 6.7 -7.5 hours of life. We shall see.
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Heh this is one thing I need to be a bit more aware of, I have not stopped for a second to check battery times and its pretty important that I know. I have the 970. An hour use here and there hasnt seen the bar go down at all.

Ill keep a closer eye on it in future. I am using the lock function a lot so it saves me power.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders