Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Will the standard canon input from the CH110 fit?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #17
Major Player

makes no sence to me. how much effort/ moving around the camera, just to change a batt.?

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
makes no sence to me. how much effort/ moving around the camera, just to change a batt.?
Correct me if I'm wrong Chris, but it doesn't seem like a lot of effort. You just push that one slider button, open the hatch and change the battery. It's similar to the way you change the battery on any digital camera.

The advantage of a totally internal battery bay is that no matter what size battery you use, the size of the camera remains the same, i.e. no big battery poking you in the nose if you use the viewfinder.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

That's right Tim; the extra "trouble" of an internal batt. adds all of about one second to the time it takes to change batts. It's simply no big deal, and the benefits of an internal mount (especially in colder weather) far outweigh any drawbacks. Honestly I can't think of any drawbacks. You get seven hours endurance from a BP-970G in this camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #20
Regular Crew

footage?

So Chris, I see a cable plugged into the HD out, did you happen to look up from the battery compartment and see any footage?????
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

It was cabled to an LCD monitor. Now I'll have to go back and see what kind it is.

The look of the video is all Canon, exactly like the XL H1 as far as I could tell.

Old September 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #22
Major Player

any word on my question about the CH110??
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #23
Major Player

I live in Michigan, shoot in cold weather and your battery doesn't last very long at all. Sure you can make your own battery "coats" but internal battery bays are kind of nice.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #24
Inner Circle

A positive of an internal battery is that it can't get bumped off. On my vx2000 when i used the the large 970 batteries i've broken contact occassionally when the back of the camera is pushed up against my body. Let me tell you its no small deal when in the middle of shooting the camera goes dead.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

For Matthew -- the CH-910 dual battery holder / charger connects to the Canon GL, XL and XH camcorders using a dummy battery plate which attaches to the external battery well on those camcorders. What you would have to do with the XH cams is to rig a special cable that has the proper ring / tip sleeves on both ends and connect it to the camera at its DC input jack. So I suppose you could fabricate such a thing, but I would have to ask, why would you bother. The BP-970G battery will power an A1 or G1 for about seven hours... are you really going to need constant, uninterrupted DC power for longer than that amount of time?

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #26
Major Player

So you are saying the CH910 is not "techincally" a supported add on for the XH

I only ask because I own for my Xl2 and 2 BP 945's which provide an awful lot of power. Would be nice to retain its usefullness.
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Right, technically it is not supported (think about it... how would you attach the dummy battery plate to a connector that's inside that internal battery compartment?) -- but you could probably rig a special cable to the DC input jack using the workaround I described above.

One BP-970G is almost like having two BP-945 batteries anyway, so no big deal.

Old September 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #28
Major Player

I guess you're right Chris. As always. I can also use the 945's independently...

I did notice that two 945's running seperate dont last as long as coupled on the Ch910. Any reason?

Who much is the 970? I would love to put two on the Ch910! I would never have to turn it off!

But yes, I will probably purchase one with the XhA1
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #29
Wrangler

Chris, looking at the pictures on the Watchdog, I'm not finding any port to connect a DC power supply. Does this mean that the XH cameras can ONLY be powered by the battery, with no capability at all to run off converted wall current?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Well now that you mention it Pete, I can't find it either. But surely it has one, perhaps underneath somewhere. Looks like I'll have to ask Canon USA to clarify its location for us.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders