DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Joe Gaetani January 21st, 2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 998344)
Being from Century it will be beautifully made, superbly coated, wonderfully powerful and barrel distort pretty severely as its of spherical construction. If these parameters suit you, go for it.

how will the barrel distortion compare to the .3x fisheye? I'm looking for a wide angle that can be used for both snowboarding/skateboarding as well as filming house interiors without totally blowing out straight lines (hardwood floors, ceiling beams, ect...). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Hardwick January 21st, 2009 11:05 AM

The .3x fisheye gives far more barrel distortion than the .6x, but then it sees a lot wider. The term 'fisheye' tells you that the barrel distortion is a feature that's part of the lens's look and appeal. Perfect for skateboarding but not so hot for the inside of cathedrals.

The .6x is not really designed for architectural photography because the only straight lines that aren't bowed outwards are those that pass directly through the centre of the image. This makes it somewhat limiting if you're selling buildings that do indeed have flat floors, straight walls and rectangular doors and windows.

But there's no substitute for trying it on for size. You'll be able to use more than half of your zoom's focal range and the more you zoom the less the distortion generally. But then again, that's not why you bought it.

tom.

Jack Walker January 21st, 2009 09:34 PM

For inside the Canon WA will give the best results if you want to go more wide angle.

The .6x has a lot of distortion and the .3x is meant to have extreme distotion.

The .3x is popular for skateboarding and the .6x is okay. The .6x distortion is not noticeable for normal shooting if the camera remains square to the scene. However, if tilted up or down, the distortion becomes pronounced. It is also helpful to have an interesting and animated subject in the frame to detract from distortion when using the .6x.

Stuart Graham January 22nd, 2009 07:08 AM

I have some rather basic (daft) questions:

If you have the Canon WD-H72 wide angle adaptor attached to an XH A1 when you to zoom in on your subject to focus will focus be maintained when you zoom out again?

What does zoom-through mean?

Tom Hardwick January 22nd, 2009 07:44 AM

They may be basic but they're not daft Stuart. Yes is the answer to your first question. A zoom-through converter means that it alters the focal length of your zoom.

Say you have a 10x zoom that goes from 5 mm to 50 mm. If you add a 0.5x zoom-through wide-angle converter you'll now have a 2.5 mm to 25 mm zoom. Still 10x note, but all moved into the wide-angle end. There will be a tiny loss of light, more flare, more barrel distortion and less sharpness - all to varying degrees.

If you attach a non zoom-through 0.5x adapter you'll get something like a 6x 2.5 to 15 mm zoom, at which point the image will go wildly out of focus.

tom.

Stuart Graham January 22nd, 2009 10:42 AM

Thanks for the explanation Tom :) I understand now.

What makes the zoom-through and non-zoom-through converters differ structurally?

Do zoom-through converters remain as zoom-through converters regardless of the camera they are attached to?

Tom Hardwick January 22nd, 2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Graham (Post 999027)
What makes the zoom-through and non-zoom-through converters differ structurally?Do zoom-through converters remain as zoom-through converters regardless of the camera they are attached to?

Zoom-through converters are typically of three element construction (though can be 2 or 4), with air spaces between the elements so the lens is usually quite big and chunky. Yes - whatever camera lens you attach them to they reduce the focal length.

A non zoom-through will most often be a single element (spherically or aspherically ground) though there are some two element designs around. They tend to flare less, but the camera's lens needs to have a powerful macro feature for these to work successfully.

tom.

Stuart Graham January 22nd, 2009 11:52 AM

Thanks again for enlightening me Tom! Now I know why the wide angle adaptor is heavy.

Galen Rath February 4th, 2009 10:02 PM

It's true the A1's stock lens is pretty wide to begin with. In a living room shot, I found the stock A1 is as wide as my HV30 with an old WD-58 wide angle lens. I got the WD-H72 for the A1 this week and it makes enough difference to be worth it. Had read about its size, but was still surprised how big it is, definitely heavy, a good excuse to take up weight lifting again.

Jonathan Shaw February 13th, 2009 12:54 AM

Can someone give me the exact dimensions of the Canon WA adapter. I m looking to put it behind an underwater port.

Thanks

Jon

David Dalton February 15th, 2009 05:08 AM

Dimensions

Depth of lens 65mm
External diameter 114mm
It comes with a lens hood which adds 40mm depth; external dimensions are 178mmx135mm

Jonathan Shaw February 15th, 2009 11:20 PM

Many thanks Dave,

Ian Wexler June 23rd, 2009 12:04 AM

Hey, so I am looking for a fisheye adapter to do some Terry Gilliam-esque shots in a film I am about to shoot. I've been perusing this thread for a while now and it seems to me like there isn't any one lens that's better than the others, it's more about what you are looking for in the lens. So here's what I want in a fisheye:

I do want some barrel distortion. Not as much as a .3, but enough to distort the image (the Terry Gilliam look).
No chromatic aberration.
No vignetting.
As little soft focus on the edges as possible. I haven't seen any lenses that produce a perfectly crisp image from corner to corner but that's what I'm after. A little soft focus is okay but as little as possible.
I don't really need any kind of zoom through.

If anyone can help me out and figure out which lens best fits these needs that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom Hardwick June 23rd, 2009 12:13 AM

Both Century and Raynox make the fisheye you describe Ian. The Century is beautiful, big and expensive, the Raynox cheaper and less corrected.

Jack Walker June 23rd, 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Wexler (Post 1162186)
I do want some barrel distortion. Not as much as a .3, but enough to distort the image (the Terry Gilliam look).
No chromatic aberration.
No vignetting.
As little soft focus on the edges as possible. I haven't seen any lenses that produce a perfectly crisp image from corner to corner but that's what I'm after. A little soft focus is okay but as little as possible.
I don't really need any kind of zoom through.

I was at Century Optics a couple of days ago and tried the fisheye lens I think is the one you want.

It is about a .45x, is full-frame with no vignetting, and has minimal softening in the corners. It fits on the XH-A1 with a bayonette mount, is fairly lightweight, and it costs $460 at B&H. Here is the link:
Century Precision Optics | 0HD-FEAD-XLH 0.3x | 0HD-FEAD-XLH
Please note, the B&H description is incorrect; this adapter is not .3x but rather about .45x. Officially, Century does not print the magnification but just calls it a fisheye. This adapter can zoom in about a third of the range, but since it is an "adapter," not a "converter," it is not 100% zoom thru. It is fairly lightweight because it is a single element.

Century also does make a .3x "ultra" fisheye to fit the XH-A1. This one does show vignetting in the corners. It also costs more ($800). Here is the B&H link for this one:
Century Precision Optics | 0HD-FE3X-XLH 0.3x | 0HD-FE3X-XLH

Here is the Century page with all the products made for the Canon XH-A1:
Canon XH-G1 & XH-A1 Attachments - Schneider Optics
The one I am recommending is the "FISHEYE ADAPTER HD CANON" with a list price of $595. As I say above, the magnification is about .45x (as told to me by the Century reps). Click on the link for the adapter, then click on the "sample" tab to see an example shot with the adapter.

I own the Canon wide angle converter and the Century .6x adapter. I am about to buy the Fisheye (.45x). Of everything out there, I think these three are the best quality/value, and the three of them add a lot of dimension to XH-A1 shooting.