DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Philip Hinkle October 9th, 2009 06:42 PM

I have a Raynox zoom through WA for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...x-wa-72mm.html

Make me an offer....the price is negotiable. :-)

Jarda Bar October 11th, 2009 01:37 PM

Thank you, but I need wider view angle, 0,79x is not enough. :(

Arthur Abramov October 14th, 2009 03:14 PM

i have the original Canon WA lens but it has a serious Distortion problems

its very wide angle, but it just too much distortion, unbelievable, the buildings look crooked and the faces are just not real. i thought original stuff doesn't do things like dissatisfaction, i guess i should have asked you before.

Will Mahoney December 1st, 2009 01:30 PM

What are you shooting with the WD-H72?

I love this lens. I can get inside of vehicles for installation videos, I can practically set the lens on the bumper and get clear focus from 3" away.

Yes, there is some distortion at the wide end, but when I'm shooting really long muscle cars the distortion can be kindof cool.

I guess it just depends on how you use the lens. I love mine.

Helio Couto February 15th, 2010 09:24 AM

fisheye 16x9

Hi...Is this lens compatible com XH-A1? 16x9 Inc. | 169HDVSF5X82 Super Fisheye Lens | 169-HDVSF5X-82
Thanks,
Hélio

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2010 09:34 AM

It will certainly work on the A1 but I note that it's listed at that site as no longer available. It will give you barrel distortion by the bucket-load - good for skateboarding movies but not so good inside churches.

Helio Couto February 15th, 2010 09:52 AM

Thanks Tom.
There are risk of apear vignette in zoom out?
I buyed a 0.25x high definition fisheye converter 67mm ( i think my mistake ) + macro 12,5 + adapter 67-72 but apears vignette.
I'd like to use a FISHEYE (.3 or .25) but with no vignette.
Any suggestions?

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2010 10:23 AM

Raynox are very good at cross-referencing various lenses to different camcorders, and showing you on-screen results. Have a look here:

Raynox High Definition Conversion Lens Accessories for SONY HDR-FX1,HVR-Z1 HDV Camcorder

Etienne Didelot-Pothier March 10th, 2010 10:40 AM

I'm looking for a not-so expensive wide angle adapter for the XH A1 (I won't pay 600 bucks for the Canon one).

So, is there any good one that's way cheaper? One that won't insert vignettes or artifacts..

thanks!

Christopher Neville April 27th, 2010 08:52 AM

The WD-H72 shipped to Canada is about $347 with shipping best I could figure. Not sure where the $600 is from. Most people in this long thread agree that this is about the best for the money. They try other lenses that are cheaper, but get disappointed with the results and end up getting the WD-H72. Also, the lens is zoom through as well. I have one and recommend it.

I don't think that you will find a cheap lens that is free of artifacts, and doesn't vignette. Inexpensive and quality don't go together so well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etienne Didelot-Pothier (Post 1497584)
I'm looking for a not-so expensive wide angle adapter for the XH A1 (I won't pay 600 bucks for the Canon one).

So, is there any good one that's way cheaper? One that won't insert vignettes or artifacts..

thanks!

Alex DeJesus April 27th, 2010 02:18 PM

WD-H72 too Heavy?

I read that the WD-H72 is heavy, but I can't find specs anywhere. Does anyone know exactly how much the Canon lens weighs? Even 1 pound can get very heavy if shooting hand-held. Century Optics has one that weighs a little more than half pound, but cost a little more.

Christopher Neville April 28th, 2010 07:51 AM

It is heavy and I can only use it very briefly without support. It makes the A1 very front heavy. I have seen the weight stated as 25.41oz or (1.58 lbs) and I believe it. I only use mine with a tripod or monopod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus (Post 1520321)
I read that the WD-H72 is heavy, but I can't find specs anywhere. Does anyone know exactly how much the Canon lens weighs? Even 1 pound can get very heavy if shooting hand-held. Century Optics has one that weighs a little more than half pound, but cost a little more.

George Pada May 17th, 2010 12:44 PM

Cheap Tokina 72mm from e-bay

I found this wide angle adapter for my Xh-A1:
Tokina 72mm Wide Angle lens for Canon XH A1 XH G1 XL H1 on eBay (end time 07-Jun-10 21:26:20 BST)
Anyone had any experience with it?
Thanx

Tom Hardwick May 18th, 2010 01:18 AM

I have no direct experience of this lens but it's pretty cheap, so might be worth a go. One thing is it'll barrel distort pretty severely, and you'll notice the before and after shots have been designed to hide this failing. It's a zoom-through and will get you out of tight corners ok. No mention of its coating, but the Tokina name is well respected.

tom.

David Stembridge July 4th, 2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogdan Tyburczy (Post 569551)
The first picture shows the points at which the opening in the adapter had to be widened. Note: it shows reassembled adapter.

Hi Bogdan, I took off the back half... and had been thinking that I could probably replace the glass myself while it was disassembled; (I ordered a new one from Century....) but realized you hadn't had to break it down that far. Am I correct?