DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Jarda Bar July 14th, 2009 08:17 AM

Zeikos 72mm, 0.45x wide adapter

I try to test very cheap wide adapter: Zeikos 72mm, 0.45x ... and result is: USELESS

Take a look: Canon XH A1 - Zeikos 72mm 0.45x wide adapter test

Tom Hardwick July 14th, 2009 08:27 AM

I agree - pretty useless with all that vignetting and distortion. I see it says DSLR on the rim of the lens, so it may not be sold with a camcorder in mind.

Christopher Warwick September 20th, 2009 06:04 PM

Hi folks,

I bought the WD-H72 some time ago and when I'm shooting video it's on most of the time.

However I use the Letus Elite for a lot of film projects and I need to go wider than my widest, Nikon 24. Question is, how wide is acceptable and what's the best one to go for?

I was looking at the Tokina 12-24mm F4 AT-X124 Pro DX. Without understanding too much about the DX lenses, I was wondering if it would be any good on the end of the Letus?

Chris

Alex DeJesus September 23rd, 2009 05:29 PM

Looking for Wide Angle Adapter

For my Canon XHA1s. I know of the Canon and the "16x9" models. Are there others? and what are the pros and cons of each? I have a bad back and can do without a lot of extra weight, but I need a good picture.

Sorry for starting a new thread. I know this topic is elsewhere on this forum, but they strayed from the topic.

Jonathan Shaw September 23rd, 2009 06:08 PM

There is heaps of info on this but you can't go too wrong with the Canon WA... it's zoom through, doesn't distort too much and is a pretty good price.

J

Alex DeJesus September 23rd, 2009 06:23 PM

And what about threads on the adapter?

I read somewhere that the Canon adapter has no threads (like for filters) Is that an issue? Would you then screw the filters on the camera before the Wide Angle adapter?

Richard Hunter September 23rd, 2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus (Post 1390018)
I read somewhere that the Canon adapter has no threads (like for filters) Is that an issue? Would you then screw the filters on the camera before the Wide Angle adapter?

Most likely you will get vignetting if you do that.

Jonathan Shaw September 23rd, 2009 09:23 PM

Also would be waaaaay to many bits of glass for my liking, I reckon you'll end up with all sorts of funky reflections going on.
Depending on what you need you could chuck a matte box on and add filters that way.

Alex DeJesus September 24th, 2009 12:09 PM

A Matte Box?

How will a Matte Box fit onto the XHA1s? Have you done so?

I still wonder what other choices there are for lens adapters.

Richard Gooderick September 24th, 2009 12:56 PM

There are old threads about this. I read them and bought the Canon adaptor. Have been very happy with it.

Will Mahoney October 1st, 2009 07:35 AM

Alex,
No, there are no threads on the end of the Canon Wide-angle lens to attach filters to. Also, you cannot attach anything in between Canon's wide-angle and the camera lens - the wide angle has an inner ring that fits deeply into the factory lens - no room for filters or anything.

Plus, it is quite heavy and would probably rip any filter right off the front of the camera.

I have no input on matte boxes - haven't used one, not looking to.

Will

Jarda Bar October 7th, 2009 03:21 PM

Hi! I would like to buy wide adapter, but I wasn't able to find some sample shots (pictures) on the internet. Is there somebody, who can post 1920x1080 video screenshots for these wide adapters, please? Thanks a lot!!!

1) Century Precision Optics 0HD-FEAD-XLH 0.3x HD Fisheye
2) Century Precision Optics 0HD-FE3X-XLH 0.3x Ultra Fisheye
3) 72mm RedEye HDV/DV .4x Fx Series (or 0.5)

Links:
Century Precision Optics | 0HD-FEAD-XLH 0.3x | 0HD-FEAD-XLH
Century Precision Optics | 0HD-FE3X-XLH 0.3x | 0HD-FE3X-XLH
RedEye Wide Angle Adapter | VFGadgets.com

Jack Walker October 9th, 2009 10:28 AM

Just a note, the Century "FEAD" is actually about .45x, not .3x. The B&H description is incorrect.

Jarda Bar October 9th, 2009 01:29 PM

It's ok, but is there someone, who can make a sample screenshots, please?

Larry Vaughn October 9th, 2009 06:35 PM

Wd-h72

Picked one up on Ebay. There were 2 around $159-170. Not a bad price. Heavy. Big hood and front view might impress someone who doesn't know any better.