Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #526
Regular Crew

Sorry,I do it EVERY time! It's now public....
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #527
Regular Crew

Bouldering championship XH A1 footage

Bouldering championship NL women. 4,5 minutes. Shot with A1.
www.vimeo.com/magicroom

+6db gain, pressed colors.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #528
Regular Crew

interesting. felt sort of more like a rave then a bouldering comp.... haha i posted this earlier this week. interesting contrasts:

http://www.vimeo.com/1177045
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #529
Major Player

Really good climbing short and good camera and editing too. Very cool to see each of the climbers style accomplish the routes.

Music felt good for the video. What was your source for music?

Footage looked clean and the camerawork was solid. Nice 'not over the top' color correction done as well.

I'd have to watch it again to see how long it was because honestly I was completely immersed in it.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM   #530
Major Player

It's a cute little concept, however here's my 2 cents... it's way too long! All that could be conveyed all within 30 seconds by discarding all those redundant and longgg shots (seeing her walk out the front door all the way to her getting in the car; backing out the driveway; getting out of the car walking up to the gas pump; the long stare at the posted prices; getting back in the car; another drive way shot... car pulling up; getting out and watching her walk all the way up to the door, etc.; the bicycle shots (seriously, just one is needed).

Plus there's no music track until a 1/3 of the way in. I learned long ago regarding an edit... make a point... then move on :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM   #531
Regular Crew

Very well done, Alex! I would, however, add my one criticism to that already given: it's too long. I think you could cut it in half (or more) without losing any substantive content. We don't need to see ten seconds of her carrying a suitcase or dragging it behind a bike when two seconds will suffice to convey the idea.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth ...
Will Schryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #532
Regular Crew

Doing Photography in Yellowostone a lot I know that feeling of having to act fast and think later. Wildlife never poses, it just is. Nice capture.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #533
Regular Crew

Here's a second (I guess or third) vote to cut it down. My suggestion is to make a personal goal of cutting it down to no longer than 30 seconds. While it may not work perfectly (though I think it will) it will really force you to think about what cuts and frames are absolutely critical to your message.
Takashi Doscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #534
Regular Crew

Brickfields Temple

Hi,

Here is a short edit of Brickfields Temple, Malaysia during Wesak Day (Buddha's Birthday). I did not bother to cover or focus on the event (I was SO NOT prepared) but I focused on the people who prayed there, so it is a collection of shots. Shot with the XHA1 and LE.

In the meanwhile, I will try to think of a better way to end the video and also fix the colour. The Quicktime output gives out a wash out look for some reason.

http://vimeo.com/1211381

Comments welcome :)
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #535
Regular Crew

Check this out for the colour problem

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/?p=197#comments

Nice stuff!

Joan
Joan Manzaneque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #536
Regular Crew

I really liked your images... solid composition and artistic.

The music was out of place for me. It's a good piece, but seemed a bit too much. To me, the music itself tells a narrative. Your images, though compelling, seem more documentary. Just my take.
Nicholas Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #537
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
Doing Photography in Yellowostone a lot I know that feeling of having to act fast and think later. Wildlife never poses, it just is. Nice capture.
One thing I will say about the XH-A1 is that the "Full Auto" setting does quite well under the scenario of outdoors, sunlight, and good contrast. So I wasn't all that chagrined about having to use the dreaded "green square" setting.
Will Schryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #538
New Boot

in the park / kids singing XH-A1 + P2 HPX500

Hi!
Here's some footage shot on a weekend in the park. It's a bit messy. Barely edited.

Filmed with XH-A1:
girls, fishes, bridge, water, sky, yellow flowers
HPX500:
boys, out of focus pink flowers, red flower, tree branches

http://www.vimeo.com/1228472
Przemysław Pyrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #539
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice.

What do you mean by documentary looking? (well, I shot an event so it is a documenting process?). I think perhaps I didn't capture enough the emotion and nuance of the people over there so there's like no story/ motivation for them to do what they are doing.

You're not the first person to say this. I went out on a shoot once and was handling the camera for a while (shooting people walking on the street). One cameraperson noted that I shoot 'documentary style. Unfortunately I never managed to ask him why. Its good to understand your comment as I don't wanna be boxed into one category

I have watched documentaries on various subjects and there are many styles so no help there :(
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #540
New Boot

Hi Pyrek
Like your footage in the park, lovely rich colours and depth. I have an XH A1 but don't manage to get that level of quality. Can you tell me what settings did you use?
Rachel Mackey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders