Canon XH series -- various sample clips - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM   #571
Regular Crew

Thanks - yeah, it's not written to be a comedy, but no worries, it was filmed super fast and it's just a no budget concept trailer. If filmed as a movie, it will have a much higher quality to it.

The intro shots of the ghost town were filmed using a Merlin steadicam.
Paul Whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #572
Regular Crew

Sample Freeze Frame Clips

Hey guys
I wanted to put up Freeze Frames from a subject documentary that im shooting to display Steven Dempsey's VividRGB preset, the capabilities of XH A1 and my shot selection.

This was just the bare camera on a 501 HDV Manfrotto head and Amvona tripod legs. It was shot on HDV at 24 fps at 1/48(most of the time).

It was shot in Mississauga,ON Canada - outside a deserted burnt down house.

I will be putting up the video as soon as the editing is done.

Please feel free to comment on these:

http://pyvproductions.files.wordpres...8/img_0130.jpg
http://pyvproductions.files.wordpres...1-01004518.jpg
http://pyvproductions.files.wordpres...1-01072809.jpg
http://pyvproductions.files.wordpres...1-01091307.jpg
http://pyvproductions.files.wordpres...1-01130008.jpg
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #573
Major Player

Prashanna,
These look pretty good but don't necessarily show a whole lot. There are no people in them and no discernable subject. They look good for what they are, but what is this doc all about?
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #574
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Prashanna,
These look pretty good but don't necessarily show a whole lot. There are no people in them and no discernable subject. They look good for what they are, but what is this doc all about?
Bill
Hey Bill
Thank you for the comments.
I posted these up just to show the look of vividRGB preset and my shot selection. Unfortunately there ain't gonna be any people in this doc. This doc is about the area by my house, a nature doc if you will. I will put up the video as soon as it has been edited.
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #575
Tourist

Were I live

Hi to Everybody

My first post so please be gentle.

I've been reading this forum for some time now and have had my A1 for a couple of weeks. The standard of video's presented here is quiet daunting for a novice to measure up to, but you have to start somewhere so here is a short video I shot of were I live, it's a beautiful part of the world and I hope anyone who has a look enjoys it.
I'm working hard to improve my camera skills and hope to post better video's in the near future.
Any advice would be great and appreciated.

Pete

My playground on Vimeo
Peter Kubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #576
Regular Crew

Thats a great video,
Im unable to offer any advice as I probably know only 1/50th of what you do but my eyes tell me its good :)

Thats a wonderfull backyard to have !
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #577
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran View Post
Thats a great video,
Im unable to offer any advice as I probably know only 1/50th of what you do but my eyes tell me its good :)

Thats a wonderfull backyard to have !
Thanks for your comment Jayson glad you liked it !!
Peter Kubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #578
Regular Crew

1 Min Sequence from a Doc- suggestions

Hi There,

I am working on a documentary profiling a photographer. I just put together a sequence describing how he chooses his locations. This is a rough cut so no colour correction (although I did include a video transition or two). Comments on composition, etc?

Scouting Sequence on Vimeo

Thanks!
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #579
Wrangler

I thought the most interesting part of the video was at the end, when we see the photographer working and making photos - as that showed him using a location he chose. Unfortunately I found the rest of the footage to be ineffective, I thought it a. didn't support the narration, b. didn't tell much of a story, c. was very shaky and d. the audience was way ahead of you for most of the video. I think part of the problem is that you're letting the narration do most of the heavy lifting instead of the images. Try cutting a piece without the narration then add in the narration as needed. If you really want to use that narration, you might want to cut up the narration and give him some pauses, to slow it down a bit. Personally I'd find better images to tell the story.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #580
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael! Your comments are appreciated.
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #581
Regular Crew

I hope you don't mind us being critical.

I second what Michael said.

In my option, try using the "rule of thirds" when framing your subjects. Makes your shots more dynamic. In simpler terms, your subject doesn't have to be in the middle all the time.

However, through effective editing as Micheal had said, I think you can make it MUCH MUCH better. It seems like you're trying to cram all the footage you have.

For future reference, trying bringing a monopod or some shoulder support. Take your time and get more a-rolls. The more problems you eliminate on your set, the less you have to worry about in post.

Good Luck!
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #582
Regular Crew

Thanks, Tony. I totally agree with the shoulder mount remark. We were walking around this 300,000 sqft building for 12 hours and 8 minidv tapes. Needless to say, my arm was aching with the light and wireless mic mounted on the camera after the first hour!
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #583
Regular Crew

A1 Stock - Short Film Frame Grabs (No Correction)

Hey Everybody,

I recently created a short, 3 and 1/2 minute film for a 24-hour contest in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area and all I have to say is , "Phew!" . 24 hours is NOT a lot of time to make a short film! The name of my team's film was, "Buried Promises".

Anyway, I am in the process of creating a Directors Cut which will most likely be 5 minutes long and thought you would be interested in some of the frame grabs.

I used available light only. While shooting the night scenes I had gain set to the max and was using the Pana35 custom preset throughout.

Since I am still unable to afford a Letus (or any 35 adapter ) I just use alternate methods of getting a nice DOF. I'll expound upon that if necessary.

Let me know what you guys think!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss1.jpg   Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss2.jpg  

Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss3.jpg   Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss4.jpg  

Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss5.jpg   Canon XH series -- various sample clips-ss6.jpg  

John Lofton IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #584
Regular Crew

Quote: "Since I am still unable to afford a Letus (or any 35 adapter ) I just use alternate methods of getting a nice DOF. I'll expound upon that if necessary."

Please expound..I'm in the same boat...no more money for 35mm adapter.

Grabs look good by the way..

Thanks,

Mike Watkins
Mike Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #585
Regular Crew

New Music Video

This NSM's song "Feel". It was filmed in Pepe's in Valparaiso, IN. I had to dub over the studio version because the audio was shot. (Stock microphones are very good to record live bands)
Filmed with the A1 and G1 on the Panalook2 preset.

Anyways, let me know what you all think! Thanks!!

NSM - Feel on Vimeo

- Jeremy
Jeremy Nemeth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders