Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips now available for download - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM   #16
Major Player

Yes, these will be difficult decisions that would be MUCH MORE difficult had the Canon been priced around $6K. I hope they sell a bunch of them to small market stations. Videographers, indy filmmakers, etc? Hope they can sell a couple dozen...:-) That price isn't exactly in any "sweet spot" I know of other than for the studio guys.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'd like to see if playing with the settings can improve the dynamic range.
I looks HiDef for sure, but it seems that it can't handle the highlights very much.
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Looks very DV video-like to me. I was hoping to be blown away.
I personally saw a boatload of resolution, and latitude and color response at the very least par for a camera at this price range.

That's already enough to get some amazing images if it's not shot "video-like".
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Remember there's 23 different custom presets in this thing, some with parameters adjustable from -9 to +9. Most likely Kaku hasn't even touched the custom presets yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Unable to download the chromatic-aberration or conversation clips...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
... there's 23 different custom presets in this thing, some with parameters adjustable from -9 to +9
that makes 1,619,388,551,833,115,628,318,743,232 different image settings to be exact
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM   #22
Trustee

It looks like video.
Honestly, I'm not impressed. Not because it looks bad. It looks good! Resolution is good. It looks like great video, and that was the problem. It looks like ultra sharp video. Not filmic at all in my opinion. But then again, it's really interlaced and not progressive. As I expected, it looked a lot like a Z1.
I only watched the 30f and 24f, because all that was said about how great it looked and that it looked the same as progressive. Well, it didn't. For me, it doesn't look like film at all. Nothing even close to Nate's L.A. footage when it comes to looking like film. I would like to point, that I'm in no way criticizing the shooter. The video looked great.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM   #23
Trustee

By the way, why is the chormatic aberration clip dead?
So the lens also produces CA?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM   #24
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
By the way, why is the chormatic aberration clip dead?
So the lens also produces CA?
Yep, it is dead. I would love to see it too.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM   #25
Trustee

Good morning.

I just woke up.

I did not use the parameters in the presets much since I'm not that inclined with film style shooting at all. Only did few with adjusting Knee and Black Stretch. I can try with some of the presents already in there, but I don't know how good they are.

I'm going to Yoyogi park today for more clips. Also the real aberration testing clip is coming today. The aberration clip which is uploaded now is footage I shot of sun flashing through the woods and I saw the similar unwanted colors that someone mentioned.

I'm not sure if I should be doing film style at all, a rock musician can't really play classic music, and I have to do my own testing as a camera for moutainbike shooting.

But I promised Sanjin about green back shooting using HDSDI and Kona 2 or Decklink HD, that is what something not easily provided, so I'm going to do my best to cover this footage. I will probably shoot my hand palying a guitar or something.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM   #26
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Ok, maybe David can answer this:

Why is Bikeseq24 showing up as 29.97, but has no visible pulldown applied? It doesn't even look like it's 24fps playing at 30...

In other words, it has all the hallmarks of a 30p clip.

(nevermind, I just saw his post way up there)
I'm seeing the exact same thiing looking at the clip in WMP, VLAC, and Vegas 6.0c. If that's really 24F, something is amiss.
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:31 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Good morning Kaku, I really look forward to see new clips from the Canon. I would really like to see some more 24f if you have time!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM   #28
Space Hipster

Kaku:

Great to see some footage.

What shutter speeds are you shooting at, especially in 24f mode?

Can you shot a locked off tripod shot of a complex scene, once in 24F, one in 30F and once in 60i?

thanks again for shooting and posting!
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:56 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
It looks like video.
Honestly, I'm not impressed. Not because it looks bad. It looks good! Resolution is good. It looks like great video, and that was the problem. It looks like ultra sharp video. Not filmic at all in my opinion. But then again, it's really interlaced and not progressive. As I expected, it looked a lot like a Z1.
I only watched the 30f and 24f, because all that was said about how great it looked and that it looked the same as progressive. Well, it didn't. For me, it doesn't look like film at all. Nothing even close to Nate's L.A. footage when it comes to looking like film. I would like to point, that I'm in no way criticizing the shooter. The video looked great.
My exact feelings...as a Canon fan and long time user I expected more from a $9k camera, specially from its 24F. Even if I could afford the Canon or if it would cost as much as the JVC I would still pick the latter as the 720p footage suits my taste more.

Im sure though that you could squeeze out some really stunning footage from the Canon...but Im afraid interlaced chips are crippled when compared to real progressive ones in terms of true film motion...no CF nor 24F seem to be able to change that fact!

You want video look, choose Sony or Canon. You want 24p, its either JVC or the HVX...there is no way around this. The HVX users will be lucky enough to have the best of both worlds and more if they are ok with a fixed lens and P2 storage!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
...but Im afraid interlaced chips are crippled when compared to real progressive ones in terms of true film motion...no CF nor 24F seem to be able to change that fact!
How are you arriving at that conclusion when talking about the Canon?

Have you even seen the footage?
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders