Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips now available for download - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Lauri, download the Aspect HD 15 day trial...its superb. I have only 3.2 trial installed but will download the 3.3 trial when my JVC arrives tomorrow since as far as I know only v3.3 supports the 25p of JVC and its physical interface.

I can almost promise that Cineform will support the Xl H1 and all its features (24, 25 & 30F) as well in future updates.
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #62
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Canon has something similar to JVC's "motion smoothing" in the XL H1. They're not calling it motion smoothing, but something like it is in there, no matter what the frame rate.
I'm not seeing it in the 24F I shot.

I see in a few of Kaku's shots what appears to be 1/24th shutter...which is east to do by mistake on that camera. There's a lot of buttons right next to that iris dial, including the two for the shutter.

I know it's hard to take one person's opinion for it, but what I saw yesterday, and have a little of on my drive now looks just like 24P from my HD100.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I know it's hard to take one person's opinion for it, but what I saw yesterday, and have a little of on my drive now looks just like 24P from my HD100.
Nate, if you have more 24F footage apart from the ones already posted, can you plz upload them? Id love to see it, thx!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:21 PM   #64
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
Nate, if you have more 24F footage apart from the ones already posted, can you plz upload them? Id love to see it, thx!
It's in a few of my posts back, in this thread. There's an HD100 clip right next to it also for comparison.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM   #65
Major Player

Well, I must say I'm impressed so far. I don't have any HD gear, so I converted the m2t files to DV and played them on a broadcast monitor from Final Cut Pro. I'm big on progressive capture and the 24p look, so I thought I'd compare the 3 "bikeseq" clips back to back.

1 - interlaced, when you need it, it's there - classic "in the moment" reality look.

2 - 30F - definitely more narrative and filmic, but still smooth pans and motion.

3 - 24F - It looks just like what I'm getting with 24p with my XL2. I removed pull down with Cinema Tools, and it fit right into a 24p sequence in Final Cut Pro, no problem. I don't know what the official workflow would be with FCP.

Regarding the dynamic range, it looks like it's still very sensitive to highlight blowout. I'd like to see some footage with controlled lighting with no blow out whatsoever.

I really appreciate the posting of footage. I think the community here regarding Canon is world class, and that's what led me to purchasing the XL2 - the sample footage was readily available, proudly posted, and gorgeous.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from the XL-H1, and also the mysterious HVX200.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM   #66
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
3 - 24F - It looks just like what I'm getting with 24p with my XL2. I removed pull down with Cinema Tools, and it fit right into a 24p sequence in Final Cut Pro, no problem.
I don't see any pulldown in the 24F clips - what are you removing?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM   #67
Space Hipster

Quote:
I see in a few of Kaku's shots what appears to be 1/24th shutter...which is east to do by mistake on that camera. I know it's hard to take one person's opinion for it, but what I saw yesterday, and have a little of on my drive now looks just like 24P from my HD100.
If Barry is right, 1/24th would be a slow digital shutter as the CCD is grabbing images every 1/48th. That would soften the image although the images you shot showed the same effect to my eye, so "motion smoothing" or deinterlacing seems more likely.

I agree the motion looks 24fps but it does somewhat look like moving objects lose rez.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM   #68
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
I agree the motion looks 24fps but it does somewhat look like moving objects lose rez.
You're right, they do. But it happens on the Sonys, and also on my HD100. The effect is more pronounced in HDV 1080.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #69
Space Hipster

Quote:
You're right, they do. But it happens on the Sonys, and also on my HD100. The effect is more pronounced in HDV 1080.
But on the clips you posted, it looked much more on the H1 - you are saying that's just due to codec issues on HDV and not 24F deinterlacing?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM   #70
Trustee

Stephan, I believe he removed the pull down after he had converted to dv (I.E. 24F to 29.97 to 23.98) I think it's also important to be careful how we compare footage, as the test that Charles did with hd100 also used the mini 35 adapter which would be another key issue in adding "film look"
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #71
Trustee

Blade Runner type shot using H1 footage

Hi,

The resolution is very high as expected. So high in fact that you can scale the image immensely. I've made an example for you, you'll want to see this:

Click here for wmv

Couple of observations. The footage is slow to edit even on a twin processor computer (same as Sony). Get ready to wait for rendering because multiple streams in real time are almost impossible. The clips in the CX color corrector show the highlights blasting 100IRE. Japan's NTSC is NTSC-MJ which puts their blacks at 0 IRE. In the supplied clips the blacks are right around 6.5 IRE. The footage looks like video right off a handy cam and I'm sure the settings will need to be adjusted. Are there any preset gamma curves prebuilt into the cameras menu?

All in all, it has the real resolution but the editing goes slow. The camera needs adjusting to get some more color range out of it.

Last edited by Stephen L. Noe; October 2nd, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:24 PM   #72
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
But on the clips you posted, it looked much more on the H1 - you are saying that's just due to codec issues on HDV and not 24F deinterlacing?
Yes. HDV1080 stretches the capabilities of the MPEG2 codec much more than HDV720.

My HD100 suffers (in my opinion) from less HDV artifacts than the XLH1, but the XLH1 has way more raw resolution. Pick your poison!

I was looking at uncompressed HD-SDI out of the camera straight to an HD CRT that had HD-SDI input yesterday. I saw nothing like blurred motion, I promise you.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM   #73
Obstreperous Rex

Kaku's XL H1 clips, "Part Two -- The Sequel," now available at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52110

Please discuss those clips at the new thread linked above. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #74
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
My more immediate concern is, will my editing software (Premiere Pro) be able to import all the footages from XL H1. At least, it seems that currently the Premiere Pro HDV mode does not recognize 25P (25F).
Download Aspect HD for Premiere Pro (www.cineform.com) that will support all released HD modes of HDV cameras, and it almost works with all the modes of the XL H1 (needs a couple of tweaks.)
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM   #75
Trustee

I think I may prefer 720p on the HD100 at this point. I always have been a huge fan of 720p for many reasons other than resolution and framerate. Such things as rendering 3D scenes and other graphics are naturally much much faster at 720p. Now after finally seeing footage from 3 groups of 1080i cameras, FX1/Z1, HC1/A1, and now the CANON XLH1 I can see almost the same level of quality. While the CANON does in my opinion look better than any current 1080i HDV camera 1080i is 1080i. The 24/30f modes seem to have the same overall look. At first I didn't agree on the other people on here but now I do see it. No matter what camera you use trying to cram 1080i into 25 Mbits is a tough job. For most things it handles it well but sometimes it falls apart. 720p HDV right now seems to handle things much better. Well at least from what I have seen so far. I have yet to see any major artifacts from any of the 720p footage I have seen.

I do think the XLH1 looks great but it still looks like HDV2 video to me. While I am sure the SDI video will look even better it will still have the same overall mood and feeling. I guess I have to decide if that is ok for me or using analog uncompressed from the JVC going to be better for me. For me now at this point it comes down to the certain look I want. I do think I am now leaning back towards the JVC
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders