Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips now available for download - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I think I may prefer 720p on the HD100 at this point. I always have been a huge fan of 720p for many reasons other than resolution and framerate. Such things as rendering 3D scenes and other graphics are naturally much much faster at 720p. Now after finally seeing footage from 3 groups of 1080i cameras, FX1/Z1, HC1/A1, and now the CANON XLH1 I can see almost the same level of quality. While the CANON does in my opinion look better than any current 1080i HDV camera 1080i is 1080i. The 24/30f modes seem to have the same overall look. At first I didn't agree on the other people on here but now I do see it. No matter what camera you use trying to cram 1080i into 25 Mbits is a tough job. For most things it handles it well but sometimes it falls apart. 720p HDV right now seems to handle things much better. Well at least from what I have seen so far. I have yet to see any major artifacts from any of the 720p footage I have seen.

I do think the XLH1 looks great but it still looks like HDV2 video to me. While I am sure the SDI video will look even better it will still have the same overall mood and feeling. I guess I have to decide if that is ok for me or using analog uncompressed from the JVC going to be better for me. For me now at this point it comes down to the certain look I want. I do think I am now leaning back towards the JVC
It wasn't likely and probably too late, but I mentioned in my VideoAlpha Magazine last month about Canon should be supporting everything in this camera, 720p/i and 1080i/p because some people needs higher resolution once they see 1080, but people like me needs the format that does not break up for fast motion. It seems to be correct of what I said, if they had done that, people might be accepting the higher price tag.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:44 PM   #77
Trustee

PLEASE WATCH THE SECOND BATCH TO HAVE OPINION ON FILM LOOK AND FEEL, because first batch don't incorporate with extra gamma settings.

Most of the clips in the secont batch uses cinetonegamma.

Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM   #78
Regular Crew

My feelings exact Thomas Smet!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:56 PM   #79
Major Player

Kaku, thanks for all your hard work, man. I'm sure everyone is very appreciative. I do want to chime in and say that I saw footage at Resfest today (part of another thread.. sorry Chris) but I have to go on record in saying that although this footage is good it is not under "controlled" conditions, or at least as controlled as it would be in a normal film production with attention to lighting, composition, color pallette, production design and tweaking of the camera's settings to get the best possible picture.
The footage I saw today at Resfest was, at least to me, blow away. It was up on the big screen and professionally done.
While I was watching it I thought back on Kaku's clips and thought they were good but do not do this camera justice.
This thing from what I saw can kick some serious butt when the right people get their hands on it.
That being said, it's hard to give final judgement on the images just because we are obviously only seeing shades of what it is capable of.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM   #80
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
That being said, it's hard to give final judgement on the images just because we are obviously only seeing shades of what it is capable of.
Cosign. Amen.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:27 PM   #81
Trustee

Well, that is one of the reasons why I hate providing what I don't usually do. Filmmaking approach. I should never do that in the future.

I did mention before that rock musicain can't play classic music in its tradditional way.

I'm into capturing the real performance rather than making up stories and situations, so yes, I'm not the right person to put my hands on this camera.

XL H1 is too heavy for my purpose, and don't even balance on my shoulder like HD100 would, and not light enough to take it around in the extreme situation.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:34 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Well, that is one of the reasons why I hate providing what I don't usually do. Filmmaking approach. I should never do that in the future.

Kaku, I'm very sorry if I offended you. I don't mean to say you are unprofessional in any way shape or form. You did as well if not better than any of us here could considering your time constraints, conditions and so on.
My intention is to say that the footage I saw was with a film crew with tons of production equipment, they even showed footage of the crew along with the footage shot.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe what I saw was Canon's "official" footage that we've all been waiting for.
No one can match that by going out on the town with a camcorder alone and no one is ever expected to.
I completely appreciate what you've done because it demonstrates to a degree what the camera is capable of.
Truly, truly sorry if I offended in anyway.
It wasn't my intention.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:48 PM   #83
Obstreperous Rex

What you saw Eric was the "Watchmaker's Shop" vignette that Canon USA put together (and still has not yet put online, go figure). We are very fortunate to have Kaku Ito provide us with these XL H1 clips... just like last year with the Sony FX1, these are among the first of their kind available anywhere; definitely the first 24F clips in the world that have been made publicly available. We all owe Kaku a debt of gratitude for thinking about sharing his limited time on the XL H1 with DV Info Net community here.

Canon USA pulled out all the stops on their sample video; they had a full crew, a crane, a dolly, a DVCPRO HD deck, video village, craft services and the works... and for some reason have chosen to show it only at ResFest so far; it is a complete mystery to me why this video did not get put on the web at the Canon site right after the Expo announcement of the H1. If you want to see "filmmaking" with the H1 then you'll have to hold out for the Canon USA promo.

Thanks again to Kaku; someone in Japan put the H1 in his hands and he thought of DV Info Net right away. The amount of sample material he has submitted so far is just wonderful. The man is catering to our requests. We owe him a big thank you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM   #84
Trustee

No Eric, it's true and you said what you felt, so that is real.

I don't have any filmmaking background, so I'm not entitled to provide the clues for what this cam can do for filmmaking.

But one thing is though, I had PDX10s before, and PDX10 was great in shooting Live band performances at massively lighted situation, but it was terrible in natural low lighted situation. So, yes, naturally, heavily production equipped environment makes any camara perform better.

I should put a title as "naturalist" next my name, so people know for the next time on, I do emphasize on natural environment for shooting. AND that does not mean that I would not stop developing knowledge and ability to shoot better in that situation.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:01 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks again to Kaku; someone in Japan put the H1 in his hands and he thought of DV Info Net right away. The amount of sample material he has submitted so far is just wonderful. The man is catering to our requests. We owe him a big thank you.
I agree, Chris, completely. I'm sorry that it came off as more of a bite on Kaku's footage because I was so far away from that notion it wasn't even on the horizon of my thought process.
Kaku, don't ever stop giving us footage, man. I'd hate for Chris to hunt me down like a dog and kill me.

Quote:
I should put a title as "naturalist" next my name, so people know for the next time on, I do emphasize on natural environment for shooting. AND that does not mean that I would not stop developing knowledge and ability to shoot better in that situation.
And shooting under regular circumstances is great, we do need to see this camera operate under all kinds of conditions, run and gun included.

Jeez, now I feel like a jerk. (Insert sad face icon here...)
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #86
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
I'd hate for Chris to hunt me down like a dog and kill me.
Naw Eric, the Kennelmaster doesn't engage in that anymore now that he has us wranglers to do it for him.

All kidding aside, this is why written communication has to be thought out and words chosen carefully. I kind of came away with how your earlier post could be misconstrued as a slight against Kaku's camera skills.

What he has posted is very useful to me, because that's typically what I shoot and the more 'realistic' it looks, the more I like it. That's why I'm such a fan of the promise of affordable HD.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
All kidding aside, this is why written communication has to be thought out and words chosen carefully. I kind of came away with how your earlier post could be misconstrued as a slight against Kaku's camera skills

-gb-

Ah, the joys of being the Kennelmaster! Thanks for the advice, Greg. It will be well heeded.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:34 PM   #88
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Naw Eric, the Kennelmaster doesn't engage in that anymore now that he has us wranglers to do it for him.
It's true. I have people who do this for me these days. "I was attending the baptism of my godson at the time, your honor."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:49 PM   #89
Major Player

Chris, good solid alibi, I like it.

Kaku, if you're ever in LA, the beers are on me, sincerely.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:14 PM   #90
Major Player

Personally I would prefer to see footage shot along Katu's style as it is very easy with a full crew and plenty of time, lights and money to make any video look good.

If the camera is going to get the independant small shops to buy it we must see footage shot by one man bands.

Thanks for all the hard work and time Katu
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders