CineForm and Sony XDCAM EX - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:28 AM   #136
Regular Crew

Thank you David.

All was send to support.
BTW, it will be nice to be able to install HDlink as a separate program. Sometimes, a second computer just for converting files, will not have the Premiere installed.
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #137
Major Player

No Need for Cineform with EX1?

I was about to update my NEO HDV (which I haven't even used yet) to NEO HD to use with Vegas 8 with my new EX1 capturing 1920x1080P, and over on the Vegas forum I'm hearing that NEO is not needed, or is of only limited use, for the EX1 as long as the computer is current.

Can someone explain why I am hearing this or counter if you don't agree.

Mike
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #138
Major Player

It depends on if you're talking Neo HDV or Neo HD. Please doublecheck the specs (as I use Aspect, not Neo) but I believe Neo HD is 10 bit color as opposed to 8 bit, which would help with multigenerational workflows and heavy correction or compositing work. It's also great for keeping a visually lossless master copy. Also, the framerate and resize tools in HDLink are very handy!

Carl
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #139
Major Player

Carl: Neo HDV is 8 bit and Neo HD is 10 bit but that is not the point. The point is with the EX1 (.mfx file codec) with a good processor some say you don't need Cineform at all because the codec is so much more efficient than HDV.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #140

I agree with Carl. Even if one doesn't need Neo HD to load EX1 mxf files on the Vegas timeline, Neo HD makes an excellent intermediate or archival format.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #141
Major Player

Bill: What is the relative size of the Cineform files for archival? I can see the advantage there and perhaps monitoring playback has a better frame rate?
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #142
Major Player

Cineform files will definitely not be smaller, but with the proper disk speed, you should be able to play back many more layers or streams at once.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #143

NeoHD takes EX1 Progressive and makes Interlaced

David...

I hope this question isn't too dumb for me to see the answer.
I've converted Sony EX1 files(1080p HQ) to .mxf with Sony's clip browser software. Then I ran the .mxf file thru NeoHD to get an Intermediate. If I load the .mxf and the CF Intermediate in Vegas, the .mxf shows as "progressive", and, the Intermediate shows as 1080i, even tho' I selected "Progressive" on the HDLINK Preferences page.

Am I missing something obvious?
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #144
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I believe Vegas says all VfW sources are interlaced, even when they are progressive. I think you have ignore it.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #145

ah....thanx
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #146
Major Player

Clip length changes in HD Link

I've only just noticed that converting EX1 MP4s to Cineform AVIs in HD Link is producing clips that are about 3 frames shorter than the original MP4s.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I've attached a screenshot from within CS3 to show the difference between each of the MP4s and their equivalent AVIs.

In every case, the duration is less for the AVIs than for the MP4s.

I am wondering:
a) Why?
b) How? As in, is it simply removing three frames from the beginning or end or are they missing from the middle somewhere or are some of them blended?

I have also noticed that in the tab that lists all this information, the Media End and Media Duration figure should be identical, since all the timecodes start at 0:00:00, but they are also different from each other in every case, whether it's AVI or MP4. How can that be?
Attached Thumbnails
CineForm and Sony XDCAM EX-phd.jpg  
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM   #147
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We transcode all the frames that are decoded from the MPEG Decoder we use. If any frames aren't converted they would on the end, possibly from an incomplete GOP. Media End and Media Duration are not suppose to be the same as Media End is an inclusive frame (not an out time in the EDL sense: Duration = End - Start + 1.) It is Premiere that reports this, not CineForm as personal refer an exclusive out time.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Mr. Newman,

I'm looking to set up a HD workflow that includes live HD SDI capture for a dance show.

I have two Premiere CS3 NLE PC's, one with a scsi raid0 and one with a sata raid0 array. I am thinking of using either the Canon H1 or the Sony EX1 cameras.

From your posts,you indicate that a camera SDI out to AJA Xena SDI card with Prospect HD using HDLink would be a good set up for realtime or live HD capture as well as editing with Premiere CS3.

My question is, which of the Xena HD SDI cards would be most appropriate for a system that is capturing HD SDI from either the H1 or EX1 into a PC with Premiere CS3?

All of the Xena cards (PCIe or PCI) appear to work with Premiere CS3 except the HS card which appears to support only Premiere Pro 2.0. I'm guessing from research that either the 2K or LH cards will do and most probably the 2K card if i don't want or need to support any legacy analog devices.

BTW, from the threads i have read, you are most generous in jumping in to help out those in need.

regards,
Nelson Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #149
Major Player

We use the LH and LHe cards successfully with Cineform. I don't believe the 2K/2Ke is fully supported.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #150
Major Player

Mike is correct. Choose either the LH or LHe card. We've intended to support the 2K card for a while but it hasn't made it to the top of the list yet.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase