CineForm and Sony XDCAM EX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Sony XDCam EX / SDI-> HDLink->Intensity->Cineform

I'm assuming this should work.

HD SDI out on the new Sony XDCam EX to a Black Magic HDLink, then HDMI out to Intensity Pro and capture with Prospect HD at full 1920 x 1080 4:2:2 to edit in Adobe CS3 software.

Planning on using a capture box like this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=Intensity
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No problems, that will work fine.
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #18
Major Player

CineForm / Sony EX1 support questions

Thinking about purchasing this camera and wondering if Prospect HD will work with the new XDCam EX file format?

Since the HQ files are native 1920 x 1080, will that change anything since the current XDCam files are 1440x1080?

I'm assuming I can use HDLink to batch downcovert to SD if I wanted to do that.

Using Premiere Pro/After Effects CS3, what type of workflow would I be looking at?

Do the Cineform encoded files end up smaller or larger than the native XDCam files?

Thanks,

Jim
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We will be supporting XDCAM-EX ASAP, but it is not be same format as today's XDCAM-HD, so we will be rev'ing (free update) Prospect HD/2K for this camera. The CineForm files will be about 3 times large, and about 30 times more useful :), just as do with HDV, remember XDCAM-HD/EX is like professional HDV, higher bit-rate long GOP MPEG-2. Also initially none of the native MPEG NLE will support the HQ modes, so CineForm Prpspect HD is going to be popular with this camera.
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM   #20
Major Player

Thank goodness for Cineform. You guys make a LOT of things much easier that would be pretty much impossible.

Looking forward to using Prospect with the EX, whenever I pick one up.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Will Aspect HD support the XDCam EX at 8-bit 1440x1080?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes at that resolution. HQ 1920x1080 images will need to be scaled down to 1440x1080 under Aspect HD. I think Prospect HD will be the sweet spot of XDCAM-EX users.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #23
Major Player

I definetely agree. I suppose it would be a good investment anyway for me to get 4:2:2 and 1920x1080 out of my V1U then as well (via HDMI).

I'm glad Cineform has upgrade options to go from Aspect HD to Prospect HD :)
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
We will be supporting XDCAM-EX ASAP
Can you tell us how the process will work?

I understand that with a tape based workflow, as you capture you can transcode and produce a Cineform AVI, but with a file based workflow, I assume the drag-and-drop functionality of the camera is preserved, so how does the transcoding process occur? Or is there one? Do we end up with Cineform AVIs still? And my final question (so far) isdo you have any indication as to how long the transcoding process will take?

Thanks for your help!

-- John.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #25
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Use the convert tabs of HDlink, just as you would for P2 media, XDCAM-HD and AVCHD files. Conversion is as fast as you PC allows, whereas with tape transfer you are always limited by the tape speed.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Use the convert tabs of HDlink, just as you would for P2 media, XDCAM-HD and AVCHD files.
HDLink? Sorry for my ignorance. Isn't that a hardware device for capturing? Or is it a program that I would need on top of CS3?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #27
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
HDLink? Sorry for my ignorance. Isn't that a hardware device for capturing? Or is it a program that I would need on top of CS3?
We had the name first. HDLink is a software utility that comes with all CineForm products -- it supports capture and conversion from a large range of sources.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
We had the name first. HDLink is a software utility that comes with all CineForm products -- it supports capture and conversion from a large range of sources.
Fantastic! Thanks for the info and especially for the incredibly fast responses! I can't wait for this camera and an excuse to buy Prospect finally after months and months of procrastinating.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #29
Major Player

HQ output vs HDMI

When using this camera in HQ capture, is there any remaining advantage of utilizing the HDMI interface for transfer to NLE?

I'm presuming that the SDI is primarily an asset for interface between other broadcast gear and/or live feed from the camera as opposed to providing a superior means of transfer of recorded data?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
When using this camera in HQ capture, is there any remaining advantage of utilizing the HDMI interface for transfer to NLE?

I'm presuming that the SDI is primarily an asset for interface between other broadcast gear and/or live feed from the camera as opposed to providing a superior means of transfer of recorded data?
That'd be my *guess* anyways... If it's being recorded to the XDcam's file format, I would think it would be best just to grab the exact recorded file, and drop that into HDlink.

Unless the camera happens to be really good at certain realtime processes that you need to happen, as is the case a lot of times with people recording in HDV and capturing from the camera in SD... tho with this camera being native 1920x1080, and the color that the camera shoots out isn't going to be up-sampled above what it was originally stored at (as far as I know, I've been known to be wrong =D) I don't see any reason to not use a beautiful file-based workflow.

I'm eying this setup myself, actually!

C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase