HDLink -- various questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #46
Trustee

HDLink randomly stops/crashes computer at end of tape

...and it's very inconvenient.

Every time I leave the computer while it's capturing/converting a tape's worth of footage, it'll randomly stop. The tape stops, the conversion stops, and the tape'll have 10-20 minutes left to go. This is with scene detection on. Then at the end of the tape, my computer crashes and restarts on it's own, and I lose whatever the last scene being captured was. What's going on?
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #47
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I haven't heard of that crash. Please fill a trouble ticket as clearly that is not normal.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
I haven't heard of that crash. Please fill a trouble ticket as clearly that is not normal.
I've been reporting this problem for a year now and have been told to stop because nobody else is having it!
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #49
Major Player

Wayne / Ben,

There is another thread that discusses the "random STOP" issue when using HDLink to convert HDV files: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=hdlink. In that thread we mention that we have a fix that will be posted shortly. We haven't released that update yet, but we will do so this week. Based on the description in the post, I suspect this might be your problem.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM   #50
Trustee

HDLink export to tape

Needed to export 4 m2t clips to tape so they'd play back-to-back.

However HDLink seems to stop after the first clip export.

How do I export a number of clips? They show in HDlink's window, but again, only the top one gets exported.

Am I omitting something?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM   #51
Wrangler

I guess we'll have to see what the Cineform guys have to say, but it reminds me of the previously reported converter issue mentioned in these threads:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69723
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71440

Hopefully the next build will be out soon.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM   #52
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That did work last time I tried that, over a year ago, so I don't know if that is a new bug or not. I suggest filing ticket so at least the support guys can try it out and file a bug report if necessary.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Severe artifacting in HDLink M2T-AVI conversions

I am having trouble with extreme artifacting (horizontal lines) on my Cineform intermediate AVI files. I have traced the problem to the M2T to Cineform intermediate AVI conversion process in HDLink.

My laptop was recently reformatted due to an unrelated issue, and I was sent a completely new install file from Cineform techs, as I needed a new activation code. Apparently this install file is a different version of Connect HD / HDLink than the one I had previously, as the version I had before didn't exhibit the problem.

Without trying to describe the artifacting problem in detail, I'll just post a exported frame of what is happening:

http://wvlightning.com/stuff/searstower1a2.jpg

Any ideas?
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Your files are 1440 x 1080 according to the screen grab you have posted..

A silly question, but after you installed the newer version, did you check the preferences in the standalone cineform HDLink capture utility or have you gone straight back into Premiere and recommenced exporting from there. As I said, a silly question but maybe one that got by you if you were tired and frustrated by the whole show.

With a clean re-install, everything would have gone back to defaults and would need resetting.

If you have looked into this, then attribute this comment to the ravings of a craven fool in the tech arts who knows but enough about crossing a road to step in front of a truck and wonders why he somehow cannot continue furthur after it passes.

I also found, after a re-install when I messed up, that I had to have a couple of goes at playing the timeline before things settled down.

Among other things, Premiere Pro had to re-establish all the connections between the captured files and the Projects which hosted them.

My system is not Adobe approved for Premiere Pro 2 and XP seems to have an occasional problem with the hardware I have set up.

If it gets sick, I cycle it through a start-up and shutdown cycle at least once without tasking if it has crashed for any reason. That seems to fix it.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #55
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Dan,

You are trying to run Connect HD with Premiere Pro, you really need Aspect HD. The issue is the Premeire AVI importer has not been updated, Adobe made mistake of cooking in a very old version of the CineForm decoder, it is lower quality and not compatible with the high quality images created with today's CineForm tools. If you contact CineForm support there is a work-around. However, Aspect HD is the best solution for Premiere Pro.
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #56
New Boot

I have AspectHD. I've updated every build. I still have this same problem as Dan when I output to tape. Everything looks great until I need to output. Yes all my setting are correct.
Dwayne Dupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #57
Regular Crew

is this the HDLink bug?

so whenever i convert MXF files which are approximately >1.5gb with the HDLink "import" function, i get the EC_ERRORABORT notification message after HDLink is about 10% done. i'm left with an AVI file which plays about 10% through with video and sound, but after that only sound. i've loaded this aborted file into sony vegas to confirm that i have the full audio and only 10% of the initial video.

if i rename the AUDIO directory to hacked_AUDIO (so HDLink can't find those files), then i DO NOT get the EC_ERRORABORT notification and the entire file converts, albeit without any sound.

this is 100% reproduceable for me. comments?

i filed a ticket and also posted in the cineform support group. here are details:

platform: windows XP sp2, pentium IV, 2gb ram
version: CineForm Connect HD (3.0.4 Build 22) DEMO VERSION (but I plan to buy the full version! this codec is amazing!)
preferences: HD File Size: Large
Frame Format: Automatic
Resize Video to 1280x720

the files are sourced from 720/24pN footage, and were copied to a harddrive automatically with P2 Genie.

as a test that the problem is probably NOT with the MXF files: i invoked RayLight on the same files without any hack and they convert completely and play back fine in all quality modes with audio.

any ideas?

thanks!
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #58
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Dwayne,

You either have install problem you some mixed vintage footage on an early Althon or something else. This problem is very old. Please file a trouble ticket.
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #59
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Very interesting investigation. Can you send us the audio and video pair that will not convert?
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #60
New Boot

I was getting the exact same error message and I was able to convert without the audio files. I placed a ticket with cineform and they said it was because the HVX200 was trying to tape over the same p2 file
I had left the camera running and did not turn it off before the end of the p2 card had filled up.
Darryl Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase