DV not scaling correctly in HDV project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #16
Major Player

I log into cineform.com.
I hit support
I click on editing video
I then click on
Knowledge Base
CineForm Knowledge Articles > Editing Video >

Editing Video
These articles explain how to use the different features of Aspect HD. These articles assume a basic knowledge of Adobe Premiere.

Can I mix HD and DV content in an HD project?

How can I get my Adobe After Effects projects exported to Cineform HD format for use in Aspect HD projects?

How can I preview my Monitor window to a TV or broadcast monitor?

Why can't I import .m2t files into an Aspect HD project in Premiere?

And here is the Knowledge Base article I keep saying is what CF tells me to do.

Knowledge Base
CineForm Knowledge Articles > Editing Video >

Can I mix HD and DV content in an HD project?
Yes it is possible, but Premiere will resize the DV video to fit the HD project and will likely stretch the picture. What you will want to do is to put your DV footage into a DV project and export it as CFHD 720p (or 1080i, depending on your HD project settings) video. That way the aspect ratios will be the same in the project and the video will not be stretched. To do this, follow these steps:

1) Add your DV clip to a Premiere Pro timeline.
2) Right click and select "Field Options..."
3) Choose from the Field Options pop-up "Always Deinterlace"
4) Go into the Motion filter and size the DV image the desired look (150% is full height.) 16:9 vs 4:3 is handled here.
5) Render the clip if you don't intend any more processing to this file.
or
5) Export your processed DV clip(s) as CFHD 720p or 1080i.
5a) From the "File" menu select export movie (it should defauft to CFHD.)
5b) Use the resulting CFHD file in your future edits so operations will be real-time

Rating: (9 Votes)
Was this answer helpful? or

So, I have not been making this up. I guess I was calling this a FAQ rather than in you knowledge base.

But, David, the question no is what project setting to I use to pull in the DV clip, to do motion, and then use cfhd export. I did the standard DV 720x480 settings because you told me to, and the CD Knowledge Base article implies the same thing.

So, is this knowledge base and older link?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I have now found the page you are using. This is not what you want to do, this will crop 4x3 to 16x9 losing the top and bottom of the image. Fine for many applications but you want pillar boxing, which is a totally different technique. Set a project like the one in the attached picture. i.e. a 1080 project with a DV clip, resize using the motion panel, use a color matte to set you background color and Export to HD -- then you are done. Combining SD and HD can be an advanced operation, there are many different techniques for different looks, particularly when dealing with 4x3 to 16x9 handling. Unfortunately the knowledge base isn't a complete recipe for everything you might want to do, but it a starting point to help point you in the right direction.
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Okay, this now logically makes sense.

But, let me make sure I have the detail right. When you saw 1080 project. I assume this means I will use the 1920x1080 29.97i presets in prospect.
I bring my 720x480 DV clip in. I then resize using motion to fill this in the 16x9 frame. Now, what does "use a color matte to set your background color" mean"? (I assume if I do nothing, the sides are just black) Then, I use export CFHD, upper field. (Now, I do not need to click on field options and say always deinterlace? Guess I did not, and still not not understand what the knowledge base article was trying to accomplish).

Will try again tonight!!

Thanks.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you look at the PNG I posted this morning, you can see I added a red background to the timeline, you can add a black, white, grey or whatever, that is a color matte. Export using upper field, and do not de-interlace (unless you want to -- that is an editors choice, not a technical requirement.)
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #20
Major Player

So, I tried the process last night of having a 1920x1080 project, pulling in my 720x480 DV clips, and then using motion filter to expand the DV clip to full height within the 1920x1080 timeline. (I had to increase 225%) I then outputted as a 1920x1080 via CFHD, and then imported in my master 1920x1080 HD project. Everything seems to be working fine and the DV clips do not seem to be fuzzy. Yea!!

Thanks to everyone, and especially David, for the help!! In hindsight this process makes sense. Its too bad things like clip scaling and AME in PPro do not seem to work correctly, that a number of steps must be added, but, if it works correctly, thats fine with me.

Again, thanks everyone!!

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase