Prospect HD -- various questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Prospect HD and Wafian HR-1

I recently read an article that the Waifan HR-1 was going to add support quicktime files, am I right in assuming this functionality is automatically built into Prospect HD for people building there own recorders or is this going to be exclusive to the HR-1?
Dean Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #32
Starway Pictures

It'll be specific to Cineform and any vendors who use their software. However, this is still rumor and speculation.

It will mostly likely only work on Intel based Macs. I believe Apple will roll out Intel PowerMacs sometimes this summer.

I would love to be able to finally use these codecs in FCP.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #33
Major Player

We have not squelched rumor and inuendo posted by others postulating interest by CineForm in QuickTime, but we haven't confirmed anything either.... Was that helpful?
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Prospect HD Link conversion problem

Hi David,

I spent the weekend doing some camera tests with my JVC HD100 and my new Redrock Micro M2 adapter.

When I tried to import the footage with the "Convert to Large Cineform file size", "Upscale HDV to 1920X1080" and "rotate 180 degrees for the Redrock Micro adapter", my footage comes out split horizontally with a little more than half of the image in correct orientation an the other half of the image is still upside down. Is this a bug?

Before getting the M2 adapter, I've was able to import and upscale with no problems. Is the 180 degree rotation of the image my problem? I'm editing on a 3.0ghz dual-core pc.

I want to take my 720P image up to 1080P so that I can have the ability to go out to tape in the future.

Sincerely,

-Geoff Murillo
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #35
CTO, CineForm Inc.

What version of Prospect HD are you running? HDLink reports the version and build number in is splash screen. This works fine on my internal build of PHD.
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Hi David,

I've got Prospect 2.0 (edit-only), build 54.

-Geoff
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have to get you an updated. We are up to build 65+ now on Prospect HD Ingest & Edit. Email support@cineform.com to get a download link.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi David,

I downloaded the new build and I still get the same problem.

I'm going to submit a ticket with support.

-Geoff
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #39
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Real-time capture or M2T conversion? I tested m2t conversion, and that is working fine -- can you verifiy?
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi David,
I've tried both real-time conversion and m2t conversion. Same result. I've submitted a ticket with a jpeg of a frame.

It's weird, if I only have two of the three fields selected (M2 lens adapter mode, Up convert 8-bit to 10-bit, or Up scale HDV to 1920X1080), the conversion adheres to the two advanced capture filters selected.

But when I add a third filter (any of the fields above) I get the strange horizontal split-screen effect.

-Geoff
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #41
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Well as soon as we can reproduce it, it sounds very fixable.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #42
Regular Crew

1080p or 720p with Prospect

Hi David,

I finished shooting my short film and I'm getting ready to convert all of my m2t clips (720p @ 24fps) into Cineform AVI's.

I have a couple of questions for you. I ultimately want to be able to lay my final cut out to HD tape. If I wanted to go the 1080p route, am I better off upconverting my m2t's to 1920X1080 24p AVI's before I edit, or making the conversion after I edit? I know that my titles will look softer if I convert after the edit, but if I saved the title creation until after I've upconverted my final cut, would it matter?

Or should I just output a 720p master to tape? I don't want to upconvert just to upconvert if it's going to soften my image dramatically - I'd rather stay in the native resolution if that's the case.

Do you have any thoughts on the upcoversion issue? Is the upcoversion option in HDLink better, or the same as the one in Premiere Pro 2.0? Do you think my footage will look too soft if I do upconvert? Obviously I want to maintain the highest quality.

And, if I decided to lay out a 720p project to tape, which deck would you recommend, so that I maintain the high quality of my 10-Bit Cineform files?

Thanks,

Geoff Murillo
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #43
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Lot will depend on the work you are planning after you have mastered out. Is in going to film? There are likely better resizing for a film blow-up than either HDLink or Premiere Pro can provide, that said the availble resizers are still nice in both cases (HDLink may have the edge.) The image will not loose detail through this resize, yet it may look softer to have an 720 image in 1080p frame (this is normal), so you will likely add sharpening filters during the post to compensate. The 1080p encode will have even more compressed headroom, yet the files will be bigger -- that is the only trade-off. So if you system is faster enough do the resize on capture. Plus there are more quality export deck options for 1080p then 720p, either D5 or HDCAM-SR (best) are good choices for 1080p24 exports.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #44
Regular Crew

It's settled. I'm going to go with the 1920X1080 conversion in HDLink.

Thank You David,

-Geoff
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #45
Inner Circle

ProspectHD, AE and Vegas

Hopefully this can be done.

Capture PC with AJA LHe, ProspectHD and AE for effects stuff.
Do initial post/color correction work, sfx, blah, blah
Render out to eSata drives using Cineform IC.

then...
Connect drives to another PC with Vegas 6 ConnectHD, blah blah....

Capture PC will be connecting to HD100 and capturing at 8bit 4:2:2 to keep things workable in Vegas (at least for the time being).

Is the above scenario plausible?
Is there a better setup using Cineforum software to do this?

Need different machines because one will be doing finishing and surround stuff, while the other is capturing or doing sfx processing.

I'm not ready to consider Premier Pro at this time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase